Author Topic: Smeatons  (Read 14081 times)

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Smeatons
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 07 October 14 10:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Kristina,

No problem, I think the Smeaton Ground refers to something in Canongate Kirkyard. If you look t the other entries, they include reference to "West of Thos Millars Headstone", South of John Grays Headst(sic)" so look like points where undertaker can measure and find plots etc. I searched on Find - A-Grave.com in Canongate Kirkyard, but could find no Smeaton buried there, strange.

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 07 October 14 11:57 BST (UK) »
No problem, I think the Smeaton Ground refers to something in Canongate Kirkyard. If you look t the other entries, they include reference to "West of Thos Millars Headstone", South of John Grays Headst(sic)" so look like points where undertaker can measure and find plots etc. I searched on Find - A-Grave.com in Canongate Kirkyard, but could find no Smeaton buried there, strange.

Nor are there any Gibsons there according to Find-a-Grave.

Is the absence of a Smeaton headstone, even in the 1830s and 1840s,  perhaps the reason why the burials of Anne Gilmour or Gibson and Margaret Farquhar or Cameron are located in relation to 'Smeaton's Ground' whereas other burials are located in relation to 'xxx's headstone'? I think Find-a-Grave records inscriptions rather than burial records, and there are usually many more burials than headstones in most cemeteries.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Montana272

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 07 October 14 15:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone.  At least we have an idea of this mystery.  Kristina, our relatives are buried together.  This is the first time I have heard that someone else had a relative buried in " Smeaton Ground"  Thank you again.  I think that I might see about  the Cannongate old cemetery records, just in case I find a Smeaton.  I doubt that I will find anything with a reference stone to Anne, as I know they were too poor to buy a headstone.  If I find anything else I will be sure to post it here. 
Elliot, Mullen, Colquhoun, Smith, Moore, Coleman, Marshall, Hall, Dale, Galbraith, Cathcart, Gibson, Taylor, Lawson McGeachie, Caldwell

Scotland, West Lothian  Lanarkshire, Paisley, Glasgow,  Ireland,  Armagh, Donegal

Offline Unė kthimi i papenduar

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Canongate Kirkyard
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 09 October 14 09:27 BST (UK) »
For those interested, there is still standing a stone erected by Thos Millar in memory of his father.

A theory for Smeaton's ground:   

The burial place of:

Sir George Buchan later Buchan-Hepburn of Smeaton Hepburn, 1st Bt.
born
died
26 Jun 1819

Sir John Buchan-Hepburn of Smeaton Hepburn, 2nd Bt.
born
17 Jun 1776
died
8 Oct 1833

Further investigation required.

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 09 October 14 11:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Unė kthimi i papenduar,

As usual, another good find. Was that as a result of an actual on site visit, or online records. Did you find any reference to Smeatons Ground there?

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline Unė kthimi i papenduar

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 09 October 14 12:04 BST (UK) »
Combination of both.    There was a picture of a headstone on "google" images which looked like Millar
and a quick visit to confirm.

Offline KristinaCameron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 09 October 14 20:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone.  At least we have an idea of this mystery.  Kristina, our relatives are buried together.  This is the first time I have heard that someone else had a relative buried in " Smeaton Ground"  Thank you again.  I think that I might see about  the Cannongate old cemetery records, just in case I find a Smeaton.  I doubt that I will find anything with a reference stone to Anne, as I know they were too poor to buy a headstone.  If I find anything else I will be sure to post it here.

Isn't it lovely that these kind people have taken the time to help us. I now lie in bed hoping the next day i can come in here and find yet another clue to my elusive Cameron family. I am very greatful. It's nice to also think that 2 of their descendants are looking for them. Kindest regards Kristina Cameron.
CAMERON, Lindsay, Borrowman, Roberts, Giller, Eckersley.
BOLGER, Tully,  Low, Paterson, Ramsay, Fergus/Forgie  Millar, Stowell, Delaney, Hennessey, Walsh.

Offline KristinaCameron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Thursday 09 October 14 20:34 BST (UK) »
Combination of both.    There was a picture of a headstone on "google" images which looked like Millar
and a quick visit to confirm

That is a wonderful find. Thanks so much. I live in New Zealand in the North Island. I am happy to go and take photos of MI's if needed in the area of Auckland if you have any ancestors there.

BOLGER, Tully,  Low, Paterson, Ramsay, Fergus/Forgie  Millar, Stowell, Delaney, Hennessey, Walsh.

Offline KristinaCameron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Thursday 09 October 14 20:45 BST (UK) »
Margaret Cameron who is buried in Smeaton's Ground 1835 was married to Farquhar Cameron. I have his discharge papers with some interesting information that has helped me find his birth place. He was born in the Parish of Kilmorack?? On his discharge in 1808 he was at the soldiers hospital in Ireland. Is it possible he would have stayed there or did the soldiers get taken back to there homeland? I am wondering if they would bury a soldier in the same grounds as his wife Margaret Cameron? I can't find a death for him or a birth. I have been reading about all the regiments he was in and looks like Ireland was an area. He was in the 2nd Garrison and the Captain was Cameron and the Lieutenant was John Robinson and one other name John Smith. He was also in the 97th foot, 74th foot, 26th foot and the Marines in Portsmouth. This was all from 1794 - 1808. Thanks in advance. Kristina Cameron