Author Topic: Smeatons  (Read 14075 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Smeatons
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 05 October 14 17:59 BST (UK) »
Hmmm.

Is this the family at 29 Wester Portsburgh, Edinburgh St Cuthberts in 1841, consisting of Daniel Gibson, 35, Anne Gibson, 30, Henry, Margaret, James, and Robert plus Mary Marshal, 40 and Alexander Marshal, 9? Are you looking at the original census, or at a transcription?

The census transcription (http://www.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl) says that Daniel, Henry and Mary were hawkers. This suggests to me that they were probably, as you say, fairly poor, and possibly illiterate, so it is very possible that they gave wrong information about their ages to the census enumerator. They could have been itinerant; many hawkers were.

If this is the right family, I see that most of the family were not born in Midlothian. Only Robert, aged 1, and Alexander Marshal, are listed as born in Midlothian.

In which parish did you find the burial record? How do you know for sure that it is your Anne Gibson? Again, are you looking at the original or at a transcription? If you are looking at the original, how are the names of other women recorded - in particular, are they listed as 'x or y' or are they all just listed with a single surname?

Does Margaret's marriage certificate specifically say that her father was alive in 1858, or does it just not say that he was deceased? Who does the marriage certificate say that her mother was? What was the religious denomination of the marriage?

The first line of enquiry should be to find out whether the records of Dalkeith poor house have survived, and if so to look up the records of Robert and James. If you are lucky and they have survived, they should tell you quite a lot about the family and their circumstances, and in particular where they came from.

I note with great interest the marriage of a Daniel Gibson to Ann Marshall in Forres, Moray, on 25 January 1820. Could Ann(e) Gibson have been Ann(e) Marshall, and could Mary Marshall be her sister or sister-in-law? Or is this a speculation too far?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 05 October 14 22:49 BST (UK) »
Thank you.  Her name is Anne Gibson, but I have not been able to find anything on her maiden name. I don't even know if she was born "Anne" or just called that.  The census in 1840 only list her once as she died in 1845, her date of birth is confusing because the death record has a 43y on it, and not sure if that means her age, but it is a 10 year difference from the census record. Unless it was transposed by mistake and meant 34y instead.  So confusing.  I know it is her for sure, and it just says buried "Smeaton's Ground"  I was hoping  Smeaton was a family name and a plot of land.  It is sad when you come to a dead end when trying to find out information on family history.  I was grasping at straws trying to find anything else, but the road has stopped. I am going to keep searching for any connection with a family named "smeaton"  in hopes that I can find out who her parents were.  They were really poor, because after her death, I saw the boys Robert, and James in the Dalkeith poor house.  The father Daniel Gibson, seemed to vanish with no death record, but I know he survived until 1858 when his daughter (Margaret) was married because it says that her father was alive.

The 1841 census allowed for people to round down their age to the nearest 5. So a 44yo person could have 40 on the census sheet. Also if as you said the family were poor, it could be that there is no monument. Where did you find the death details of your Anne Gibson. It would be interesting to find out.

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline Unė kthimi i papenduar

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 05 October 14 23:15 BST (UK) »
Attached is the extracted image from the OPR which I assume is the person you are looking for.    Maiden name is  "Gilmour" and  1 P.N. is One pace north of Smeaton's ground.    There are references in this page to areas of the Canongate Churchyard Edinburgh which I have seen before.   

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 06 October 14 00:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Unė kthimi i papenduar,

Well done, that seems to be the record.

Tom

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 06 October 14 00:52 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

This seems to be their marriage record,  https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XTBN-TMQ

Surprisingly married in Govan on 08 Nov 1833.

Tom

Offline KristinaCameron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 06 October 14 01:55 BST (UK) »
Hello, so 172 DC???? east of Smeaton Ground would be ???  Thanks so much for the great information...
CAMERON, Lindsay, Borrowman, Roberts, Giller, Eckersley.
BOLGER, Tully,  Low, Paterson, Ramsay, Fergus/Forgie  Millar, Stowell, Delaney, Hennessey, Walsh.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 06 October 14 11:00 BST (UK) »
Well found!

If ever there were a classic example of always checking the original source for details, this is it  :)

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 06 October 14 11:09 BST (UK) »
so 172 DC east of Smeaton Ground would be .....

.... a mistranscription?

There is no way anyone with reasonable eyesight could have mistranscribed "1 P N" in the extract posted by Unė kthimi i papenduar as "172 D C". Nor could they have missed the maiden surname. Therefore Montana's original information must presumably have come from a different source.

What exactly was that source, Montana?

At least it suggests that all these Smeatons out in the country are red herrings.

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 06 October 14 11:43 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

Forfarian, I think, it was KristinaCameron, who first raised the "172 DC"  Perhaps KristinaCameron can put part of the image where she got that information from on here. If you cannot do that and it is online, can you give us a link to it please, maybe we can solve the transcription issue.

Tom