Author Topic: Thomas James Reid/Baden-Powell and the Boer War  (Read 2053 times)

Offline rsandes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Thomas James Reid/Baden-Powell and the Boer War
« on: Sunday 27 March 05 00:58 GMT (UK) »
My grandfather supposedly served as Baden-Powell's batman sometime in the Boer War (possibly 1901 as he ran away to get married and join up).  He was a Welshman supposed to have been with The Welsh Regiment but a search has yet to find him.  Can anyone give me some advice as to how I get over this stumbling block please? 

Interests: Reid, Watts, Brecon, Monmouth

Moderator Note: Email Address removed to prevent spam

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas James Reid/Baden-Powell and the Boer War
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 March 05 09:53 BST (UK) »
I am sure that Baden Powell's army career will be well documented so see which regiment he was in and try to get at your ancestor that way.   I see that there is a thread about Boer war regiments - started by Gazza.   Gives helpful web sites.
Andrea

Offline Rod In Sussex

• RootsChat Senior
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 April 05 20:52 BST (UK) »
You might want to ask at the local library. A very good book was written at the time by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (of Sherlock Holmes fame) called The Great Boar war, and published in 1903/04. This would give you lots of background information and a number of references to Major General Baden Powell and the siege of Mafeking. Hope this will be of some use.

Rod
Jones, Ellis, Barker, Bates, Hackney, Cooper, Kirk, Eyre, Davies, Harris, Doney & Pearce.
Sussex, Cornwall, Lincolnshire, to name but a few!

Offline tommyuto

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 April 11 15:54 BST (UK) »
My grandfather supposedly served as Baden-Powell's batman sometime in the Boer War (possibly 1901 as he ran away to get married and join up).  He was a Welshman supposed to have been with The Welsh Regiment but a search has yet to find him.  Can anyone give me some advice as to how I get over this stumbling block please? 

Interests: Reid, Watts, Brecon, Monmouth

Moderator Note: Email Address removed to prevent spam

In my village there is information that Thomas Baden-Powell left in his will a local farm to his batman Joseph Mc Conney, any help?
Tommyuto