Author Topic: Zechariah BIDDLE male servant to William Arnold ?  (Read 2500 times)

Offline turramurra

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Zechariah BIDDLE male servant to William Arnold ?
« on: Tuesday 18 May 10 00:36 BST (UK) »
In the 1841 England census there is a reference to

Zechariah Biddle. age 15 male servant.

the names above him are Hannah Howard age 20 female servant and
 William Arnold age 45 grazier.

Would anyone be able to find out if William Arnold went to Rome, Italy  and why?

Zachariah /Zechariah John Biddle was my ancestor,born 1822 Somerby Leicester,England.
he married in Rome to Emily Sarah Ansell
7th August 1858.
His occupation was a huntsman/livery stable keeper

Death of John Zachariah was 29th March 1872 in Rome.
Looking for anyone researching this family please and the Rome connection
Turramurra
HALSTEAD Essex, Australia,EVERETT Essex,  BIDDLE, Leicester and Rome Italy, GRUNOW, Adolph b1858 Berlin Germany
Soratapassenger on  ship to Australia 1800 , PICKUP Lanc, NICOL Sct, Joseph Smith and Margaret Holmes Convicts to Australia 2nd fleet and 3rd fleet

Offline biddles

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Zechariah BIDDLE male servant to William Arnold ?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 December 15 20:30 GMT (UK) »
hi do you have parents for your zachariah as my one was born in whissendine at around the same time
1827 and was an assistant gamekeeper.his parents were thomas and ann (wright) :)
biddle- rutland-- /  jones- wales  /  gracie-glasgow and tasmania -- /  parish- clifton bristol--/  blakemore --gloucester/  allport--birmingham .

Offline willsy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 December 15 22:21 GMT (UK) »
Have you seen this Zach. Biddle age 15 in Somersby with family 1841?

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MQYN-4YM

James Biddle       M    50-54    not born in county
Mary Biddle       F    45-49             ''
Zacha Biddle       M    15-19    
Amy Biddle       F    15-19    
Ann Biddle       F    12    
Sarah Biddle       F    9    
Louisa Biddle       F    6

also a baptism to match this census

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NPCX-Y8Q

Name    Zacharias Biddle
Gender    Male
Christening Date    26 Dec 1822
Christening Place    SOMERBY,LEICESTER,ENGLAND
Father's Name    James Biddle
Mother's Name    Mary

Can see the other Zach is in Whissendine, 1841, so would Zach in Whissendine with Mr Arnold be the one as assistant keeper born Whissendine working for the Shuckburgh's, listed in the mansion on the census page 1851?

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QKVD-DT1L
Willsy

Ward, Newark (Nottingham), Leicester, Scarborough
Warren, Northampton, Leicester
Moore, Leicestershire
Hunt, Leicestershire
Kirkman, Leicestershire
Hurst, Leicester, Stowmarket
Kendrick, Leicestershire
Eld, Leicestershire
Essex Edey/Eady Elsden/Elsdon

Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright from National Archives

Offline turramurra

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 December 15 05:50 GMT (UK) »
Thank you to the kind person who has researched Zachariah John BIDDLE
(my great great grandfather)
From my records,
Zachariah John BIDDLE
born 1822 to James BIDDLE b.1791 and Mary BIDDLE nee Thompson b.c.1871.
It seems that James Biddle was born in Langham,  Rutland

My interest is always keen,Zachariah has been spelt Zechariah and Zacharias.
He died in Rome called John Zachariah BIDDLE 29th March 1872. I have a certified copy of the death.

When I went to Somerby Leicestershire ENG a few years ago I found the church where James and Mary BIDDLE are buried.Their graves are clearly visible from the street. It is tiny church, well cared for.
It was wonderful to see the beautiful fields and horses nearby.

I am trying to find living relative of the BIDDLE family.
Zachariah Biddle married Emily Sarah ANSELL  in Rome and  they had 4 children,
Henry,b.1859 (my great grandfather ),John b.1862, Annie b.1863 and Caroline b.1868.
John came to Australia and did not marry, Annie and Caroline married in ENG.

Research has been done on this family, but I have not yet found anyone who is related.
It would answer some questions about the 4 siblings all born in Rome Italy and how my ancestor came to Australia.
I keep hoping that another long lost BIDDLE will appear !
Turramurra
Sunny Australia.
HALSTEAD Essex, Australia,EVERETT Essex,  BIDDLE, Leicester and Rome Italy, GRUNOW, Adolph b1858 Berlin Germany
Soratapassenger on  ship to Australia 1800 , PICKUP Lanc, NICOL Sct, Joseph Smith and Margaret Holmes Convicts to Australia 2nd fleet and 3rd fleet

Offline fandoog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 August 16 15:46 BST (UK) »
Hello, My great great grandfather was Zacharia Biddle, as was yours, so hello cousin. I have the surname as well, and I live in Sydney, and have just started the research project re the Biddles, although I have done it casually for the last 30 years. I am happy to share some of the results of my research, such as the marriage of John Wright Biddle to Amy Hill, in Woolarah, NSW, in 1892. He died in the Boer War, in Sth Africa, on 19/7/1900. He had one son, John W., born in Sydney in 1900.
But I have never heard of William Arnold. I always wondered about the "Rome" thing, but I guess it was a job. So, be in touch if you wish. I call myself fandoog. John Zacharia seems to have only one heir, and that was Henry Gerald. He had sons John and Oscar. Where is Oscar. On Henry's second marriage, he had John "Jack". I think that is your grandfather, if my knowledge of the Biddles is correct. There are not that many of that Biddle line.

Offline biddles

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 22 August 16 19:22 BST (UK) »
hi fandoog i recieved your msg about biddle research not sure if it was meant for me but your john wright biddle ties in with my reseach but my zachariah was born in rutland and was zachariah wright bidddle he emegrated to nz but his son thomas edward and zac jnr then went to aust. ring any bells for you?
biddles.
biddle- rutland-- /  jones- wales  /  gracie-glasgow and tasmania -- /  parish- clifton bristol--/  blakemore --gloucester/  allport--birmingham .

Offline fandoog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 23 August 16 02:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Biddles, I was rerplying to Turramurra, but whatever. John Zacharia Biddle, from Somerby, Leicester, who went to Rome and had four children, with wife Emily Sarah Ansell. Children are Henry Gerald, John Wright, Annie Eliza and Caroline. The boys went to Aust. John Wright Biddle died in the Boer War. He had a son John W. Biddle, and I don't know what happened to him. I am the descendant of Henry Biddle, who had two wives and two families. I am from the first family, via John Robert Biddle, and so with that I do not think it is the same John Zacharia Biddle. What do you think?

Offline biddles

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 23 August 16 05:48 BST (UK) »
no mate mine was zachariah wright biddle born in whissendine. the wright part came from his mother ann wrights surname.he was a game keeper and moved to wales as agamekeeper and married ellen jones in 1861 then moved to bideford devon . there seems to be some x over here  but defo no rome in my biddles as i have census results rite up to when they left for nz.