Author Topic: Banffshire families  (Read 38568 times)

Offline sellio

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Banffshire families
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 17 November 09 09:09 GMT (UK) »
My family tree is the Gardiner family tree and the family originated from Banffshire (Macduff & around) and Aberdeen. My grandfather was William Gardiner who married Christian Florenc Ewan, then later married Maggie Birnie. William's parents were James Gardiner and Elizabeth Sandison. :)

Offline LBROWN

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 01 February 10 14:16 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

My family is listed below, please have a look :)

Marriage Notes for JAMES MAIR and CATHERINE FINDLAY:
At St nicholas Church, 19 Union Street, Aberdeen, Scotland, James Mair married, after banns, Catherine Mowat
Findlay, AKA Kittie Toper.Witnesses to the event were
Helen `Nellie` Findlay , sister of the bride, of 165 Seatown , Cullen , Banffshire, and Annie Mary Mair, brother of
the groom of 1 Campbell Street, Cullen.
Children of JAMES MAIR and CATHERINE FINDLAY are:
5. i. MARGARET FINDLAY4 MAIR, b. 22 Oct 1914, 165 Seatown Cullen Banffshire Scotland; d. 10 Jul 1998,
Aberdeen Infirmary.
6. ii. JAMES MAIR, b. 14 Jul 1921, Aberdeen , Scotland; d. 29 Dec 1982, Aberdeen Scotland.
iii. JOHN "IAN" MAIR, b. 22 Aug 1926, Aberdeen, Scotland; d. 14 Jul 1991, Aberdeen, Scotland.
iv. GEORGE 'DO DO" MAIR, b. 16 Sep 1928, Aberdeen, Scotland; d. Feb 2000, Aberdeen, Scotland.
4. ALEXANDER GARDINER3 MAIR (JOHN2, JAMES1) was born 02 Jan 1894 in Cullen, Scotland, and died 02 Sep
1964 in Aberdeen, Scotland. He married CATHERINE WOOD 06 Nov 1918 in Cullen, Scotland, daughter of
WILLIAM WOOD and MARGARET MAIR. She was born 01 Jun 1894 in Portsoy, Scotland, and died 21 Nov 1970
in Aberdeen, Scotland.
Children of ALEXANDER MAIR and CATHERINE WOOD are:
i. ALEXANDER GARDINER4 MAIR, b. 08 Jun 1920, 91 Seatown, Cullen, Banffshire, Scotland; d. 11 Sep 1940,
Lost at sea.
ii. *
iii. *
iv. *
v. *
vi. *
vii. *
7. viii. *

*details of people who may still be living removed

Offline Gregyboy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 04 February 10 20:41 GMT (UK) »
My great-great-great-great-grandparents were George Gardiner and Isabella Findlay. They married 11/7/1841 I think. They had all girls. There was Jane, Janet (Jessie) Elsie, Margaret and some I cannot remember. My direct line, Jessie, died 19/2/1924 widow of John Jappy. Does anyone have any relation to this?

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 07 February 10 11:02 GMT (UK) »
I have Alexander Wood, son of William Wood and Helen Slater, who married my second cousin four times removed, Helen Leslie.

Alexander was born in Portknockie on 24 December 1814 and baptised in Cullen on 31 December 1814, and died at Blackhillock, Deskford on 26 October 1905. He was buried two days later in Deskford Kirkyard.

Alexander and Helen were married on 19 November 1840 in Keith. Helen died in 1869 and on 4 November 1870 Alexander married Barbara Gracie, who survived him.

There were three children of the marriage, and 18 known grandchildren.

I'd be interested in knowing what became of their son William Leslie Wood, born about 1843. He was a bank clerk in 1861, and a witness at his sister's wedding in 1863. Thereafter I have found no trace of him.

Also interested in exchanging notes on descendants of daughters Ann Hay Wood, who married Charles Nicoll, and Margaret Wood, who married William Geddes.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Bill Wood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 07 February 10 11:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello Forfarian,

A short note to let you know that I have checked my tree and the names you are interested in dont match anybody.

I believe there were a lot of Wood families in this area at that time.

Maybe some of the other people on the discussion group will have matches for your names.

Regards

Bill

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 07 February 10 11:57 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Bill.

I believe there were a lot of Wood families in this area at that time.

Yes, there were rather a lot of them, to put it  mildly ;)
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline kiwibyrd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 07 March 10 03:47 GMT (UK) »
My WOOD connections  are with the surnames CARNEGIE, INGRAM,INGRIM,MILNE,LAW.
They hailed from around Fordyce, Boyndie, Peterhead, Boharm, Alva.
 They married into The MILNE, GOODBRAND,COCK, STEINSON/ STEVENSON, ROBERTSON,LORIMER,STRACHAN,LILLIE,BIRNIE,WEBSTER,BARCLAY,ELDER
and a few others.
Would love to make contact with anyone else with same roots  ty.

Offline philorth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 05 May 10 22:03 BST (UK) »
I have a John Mcgregor married to an Elizabeth wood they had a daughter Margaret Mcgregor who married a John hay in Cullen in 1835 does anyone have them in their history.

Offline Macca61

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 16 September 10 12:27 BST (UK) »
Hi i have Mairs in my family my Great Aunt was Violet Mair from Portnockie her daughter was Joyce Mair

Regards
Gordon Mackernzie