Author Topic: SS Mary's/St Egryn's Church Llanegryn - Grave plot info please  (Read 6664 times)

Offline Retpara

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
SS Mary's/St Egryn's Church Llanegryn - Grave plot info please
« on: Tuesday 18 May 10 09:20 BST (UK) »
Could anyone please help with information as to who keeps the records for St Mary's/St Egryn's Church in Llanegryn please, I am trying to find my Gt Gt Grandparents grave where I believe that is where they were buried, as they lived on one of the farms nearby. Hoping to visit the area soon and would like to visit the graveside. Have checked Gwynedd Council and it's not on the list for council owned cemeteries.
Many thanks in advance for any info supplied.

Retpara.

Offline ArwelONeill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: SS Mary's/St Egryn's Church Llanegryn - Grave plot info please
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 October 10 18:59 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I'm in the same boat as you!  My gr. gr. grandparents are also buried there but I remember my gran saying that she thought they were too poor to be able to afford a headstone for their grave.  My grandmother remembered exactly where they are buried but there's nothing to mark the grave.

I have spoken to a resident in Llanegryn and he told me that a vast number of old records, held at the church house, in Llanegryn were burnt in error when clearing the attic when a new minister was moving in!

I'm also stuck now and have no idea where to start lookin for the information.

Do let me know if you find a way!!

Regards,

Arwel
Pugh - Dolgellau/Arthog/Ffestiniog
Evans - Dolgellau/Llanegryn (Felin Fach)
Jones - Treherbert/Ffestiniog, Dolwyddelan
Lewis - Pentre Gwynfryn, Llanbedr
Morris - Cricieth/Llanystumdwy, Ffestiniog
Jones - Dolgellau/Dolgledr (Craigyrhelbul)

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ArwelONeill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 October 10 19:00 BST (UK) »
By the way, let me know which graves you are looking for as I have been there many times and have taken some pictures.  You never know, I may even have a picture of the one you are looking for!

Arwel

Offline Retpara

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 October 10 20:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Arwel,
Many thanks in showing interest with my post, it is difficult isn't it. The relatives I am searching for was my Gt Gt Gt Grandparents a Hugh and Gwen Angel of Tycroes farm. Gwen died in 1865 and Hugh in 1885. I am hoping they are buried in this church as Tycroes farm where they were living is quite close.
Living in South Wales I know nothing of this area so assume that this is the church.
You are correct regarding not much information available, I sent an email to the vicar of the church a Rev Richard Vroom and he replied saying there was no map of the graves in the church that he know's of but he would ask the church warden for any information that would be available but he did not get back to me and that was in May, so I don't think I will have any joy from that direction.
I don't know if you live local to that area, as you say you have photographs of some of the graves, perhaps you might have better luck with the church warden if you have some knowledge of the area.
Many thanks,
Retpara.

Offline nestagj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 October 10 22:24 BST (UK) »
Try the Bishop's Transcripts in Aberystwyth ........there was the same problem in Criccieth and Dolbenmaen a good few years ago where they thought the registers had gone and I managed to get the information I needed from the BT's.  Only problem is that there are no plot numbers - I have had several visits to Dolbenmaen to look, have one more section to go through but I doubt I will find a grave stone.  Gwynedd C C hold a lot of MI's lists - have you tried Dolgellau archives ?
Hope you get somewhere
nesta

Offline ArwelONeill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 October 10 22:44 BST (UK) »
It may be an idea for you to send a letter to the local community newspaper or 'papur bro' which is called 'Dail Dysynni' in the Llanegryn area.  It's a very popular paper and I'm sure you would get plenty of replies.  You could get the contact details by googling it's title.

Hope this helps

Arwel

Hi Arwel,
Many thanks in showing interest with my post, it is difficult isn't it. The relatives I am searching for was my Gt Gt Gt Grandparents a Hugh and Gwen Angel of Tycroes farm. Gwen died in 1865 and Hugh in 1885. I am hoping they are buried in this church as Tycroes farm where they were living is quite close.
Living in South Wales I know nothing of this area so assume that this is the church.
You are correct regarding not much information available, I sent an email to the vicar of the church a Rev Richard Vroom and he replied saying there was no map of the graves in the church that he know's of but he would ask the church warden for any information that would be available but he did not get back to me and that was in May, so I don't think I will have any joy from that direction.
I don't know if you live local to that area, as you say you have photographs of some of the graves, perhaps you might have better luck with the church warden if you have some knowledge of the area.
Many thanks,
Retpara.

Offline meganlallen08

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 31 March 13 23:46 BST (UK) »
I also have an ancestor  from Llanegryn Humphrey Griffith was born 1776, lived in Llanegryn in 1841.  Trying to find death date and place