Author Topic: Dublin Schools  (Read 6460 times)

Offline ladybird

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Oh golly
    • View Profile
Re: Dublin Schools
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 24 November 05 08:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that John
I've emailed John Grenham. (Last resort)
You wouldn't think it would be so hard just to get a bit of history on these schools...I've either had no replies to all the emails I've sent or "sorry can't help"

:( Sylvia
Main names:
Scotland (Travellers) - Townsend/Townsley, Conway, Stewart
Lanark and Stirling - Jeffrey.
Northumberland/ Durham - Newton, Nixon, Sharp, Greaves, Naters
Warwickshire and London - Garfield.
Ireland, Co. Kerry - Marah/Meara/Mara, McClure, Howard, Melvin
Lincs - Smith, Vinter

other offshoots - Berry, Steven, Craig, Atkins, Fuller, , Stewart, Conway, Heather,

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 12 November 07 17:54 GMT (UK) »
I realise that this is an old thread but as it's called Dublin Schools I'm adding the History of Wesley College which was opened as The Wesleyan Connexional School at St. Stephen's Green on the morning of Wednesday 1st October 1845. I've also posted Education in Ireland - Link on the Irish Resources board.

Offline dublin1850

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A great lover of Dublin history
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 12 November 07 22:31 GMT (UK) »
If Howth Road school is the one I think it is, it's still operational.
It's where the Howth Road comes into Fairview.

Howth Rd Mixed National School
Howth Road
Clontarf
Dublin 3
Tel: (01) 8335124

Here's a picture:
Coffey, Cummins [Rathfalla, Tipperary], Cummins [Skirke, Laois], Curran, Dillon [Clare], Fogarty [Garran, Laois/Tipp], Hughes, Keshan (Keeshan), Loughman [Harristown and Killadooley, Laois], Mallon [Armagh], Malone, Markham [Caherkine, Clare], McKeon(e) [Sligo/Kilkenny/Waterford], McNamara, Meagher, Prescott [Kilkenny/Waterford/Wexford?], Rafferty, Ryan, Sullivan, Tobin
GEDMatch: T665306 tested with Family Tree DNA and also with ancestry
GEDCOM file: 1980344

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 22 March 08 23:46 GMT (UK) »
This isn't the school you require Sylvia although it's a well know Dublin school ... Belvedere College SJ was founded in 1832 and the Past Pupils Union was founded in 1902. I'm not certain how many schools have a Museum but The Belvedere Museum was opened in May 2002 by John Bowman, to commemorate the centenary of The Belvedere Union (the past pupils' union). 
www.belvederecollege.ie

In 1918 past pupils of Belvedere College founded the Belvedere Newsboys Club to address the issue of poverty among newspaper sellers in the city of Dublin. www.irlfunds.org/your_money_at_work/projects_belvedere.html

Offline ladybird

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Oh golly
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 23 March 08 04:48 GMT (UK) »
Oh my goodness...does this sound all to familiar from our journeys into family history!!!! Good for Belvedere, doing something positive!!!

Children in households where parents are unemployed, ill, disabled or where there are 3 or more children are particularly at risk of poverty. In addition, children in lone-parent households are at a very high risk of experiencing poverty.

• Children whose parents never went to secondary school are 23 times more likely to be living in poverty compared to children whose parents had a third level qualification.

• 15% of young people leave school without a Leaving Certificate and 3% with no qualification at all.

• 48,000 families are currently on the waiting list for social housing. Damp, overcrowded, poor quality housing affects children's health and well being.*

Main names:
Scotland (Travellers) - Townsend/Townsley, Conway, Stewart
Lanark and Stirling - Jeffrey.
Northumberland/ Durham - Newton, Nixon, Sharp, Greaves, Naters
Warwickshire and London - Garfield.
Ireland, Co. Kerry - Marah/Meara/Mara, McClure, Howard, Melvin
Lincs - Smith, Vinter

other offshoots - Berry, Steven, Craig, Atkins, Fuller, , Stewart, Conway, Heather,

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 29 March 08 15:43 GMT (UK) »
The Mount Temple School, Malahide Road, Clontarf was established in 1972 following the amalgamation of Mountjoy School (a protestant boarding school located on Malahide Road, also in Clontarf at Mount Temple School's current location), Hibernian Marine School (a charity school founded in 1766, originally to provide for the orphans and children of seamen) and Bertrand and Rutland School (this was located in Eccles Street in the north-side of Dublin).

There was a Hibernian Soldiers' School in Dublin which was founded in 1769. 
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=181138.msg1779725#msg1779725

Offline peternilandyz1

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 23 April 24 18:02 BST (UK) »
someone  was  asking  about  mount  jerome[  i  lost  page]  .  o'brien  i  think.  they  said  someone  died  belong  to  them  about  1950/1.  i  was  mt.  jerome   before looking  for  my  grandma's  grave.  was  told  i  needed  dod[  date  of  death]  which  i've  found  now. maybe  if  that  o'brien  goes  to  irishgenealogy.ie  and  finds  registar and  DOD  this  will  help.sorry..i  lost  exact  page  the  post  was  on.