Author Topic: Watters in Canada  (Read 1002 times)

Offline stuizzy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Watters in Canada
« on: Tuesday 18 May 10 20:07 BST (UK) »
I recently found a report about Thomas Watters in Des Moines, Iowa. He was born in Hamilton, Ontario in 1855. His parents were Alexander Watters and Agnes McKeon, both of whom were Scottish. They apparently emigrated to Canada around 1850 but then moved to the United States around 1869/70.

I am interested in anything on Alexander in particular such as immigration records. Was there a census in Canada in the 1850s-1860s? If so, that too. I am trying to determine whether Alexander was the son of Thomas Watters of Raploch, Stirlingshire, so I really hope that this Alexander was born around 1825.  :)

Thanks for any help that you can give
Isobel

Offline Lisaw

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Watters in Canada
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 May 10 15:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Isobel,

There is an Alexa Watters, male, age 23 born about 1829 Scotland, living in Hamilton on the 1851 census. There are 2 other people living in the household, a 19 yr old woman born Scotland & another man age 23 . There doesn't seem to be a first name for either of those two. Alexa & the woman are "members of the family", the unknown man appears not to be. Do you think this could be your man?

Cordially,
Lisaw

Offline Lisaw

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 May 10 15:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Isobel,

Automatedgenealogy has them transcribed as Walters Illegible, Walters Mrs, & Hart ?. They are page 74a, 74b (74) St. Lawrence ward of Hamilton City. You can view the original image there if you like.

Lisaw

Offline stuizzy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 May 10 19:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much. This looks as though it could be the person. Whether it's the person in my family or not, I don't know. The name Hart or Harth, or whatever is the name of the third person in the list doesn't sound familiar, but never say never!!

Thanks again for your help