Author Topic: Crazy John (Jack) Hall  (Read 15842 times)

Offline haslbeck

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Crazy John (Jack) Hall
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 22 August 10 02:03 BST (UK) »
n/c

Offline Alan J Hall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 22 August 10 07:55 BST (UK) »
Peter...re the census....shaken, tossed, turned, flipped and everything in between.  I have a list running for the HALL's of Durham and NBL since 1999.  It targets the North east of England for the various reasons that HALL's are so common in number that overseas lists for HALL's tend to get swamped especially with the USA - see  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Hall_nhbl
The DNA search so far has placed my HALL's in Newcastle, Belford and possibly Alnwick - a new list so is just starting our...has an excellent gedcomviewer program with great options including search engines linked to various other places such as LDS. The google search link structures the quieres in many different ways to gain the best results possible see www.hall-dna.info   Bear with me as this is a new site and a LOT of work still needs to be done

As for the magistrate HALL I have come across material about that person - I have checked the London Times and 18thy century English newspapers without luck so far.  I have a thought I know where the material is and will check within the next day or so
regards
Alan Hall
Melbourne Australia

Offline Alan J Hall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 22 August 10 08:06 BST (UK) »
Found the source
Do a google search....make sure you select books from the top in place of a general search
I entered the words   "mad Jack"  make sure you use quote marks as this keeps it as a quote and not two seperate words
I also entered hall also as an extra word and these yield over 700 hits
tip    quote marks makes the term a quotation for searching
a + sign makes it an essential word or phrase to search for
a - sign makes the word to be excluded
so you could enter it like this                       +"mad jack"    +hall       +Otterburn
That yield 33 hits
regards
Alan Hall

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Jane ANDERSON nee DODD, 2 x g grandmother.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 24 August 10 08:32 BST (UK) »
Percy Hedley was a major historian in Northumberland. He made masses of notes from all types of pre -1837  records about numerous local families including the Halls. Her also made pedigrees of many families.

They are held at the Northumberland Archives at Woodhorn see
http://www.northumberland.gov.uk/default.aspx?page=1665

Use the electronic catalogue to search archives

Gen in NBL
UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,
Sheffield: TURNER
Middlesex: RYDER
<br />Aberdeenshire: EDWARDS, BRODIE<br />Angus STEWART, DIXON, PETRIE

Offline Ebch

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Doolough Memorial
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 25 August 10 17:38 BST (UK) »
Evening Post November 7 1717
Last Thursday morning Mrs Hall, widow of John Hall of Otterburne, Esq., who was executed in July 1716, died at her lodgings in Beauford-Buildings.
Mulhearn  Roche Deacey Tracy  Cordingley  Johnson Bullock  Bradley
Mayo  Roscommon  West Yorkshire  Derbyshire  Staffordshire

Offline haslbeck

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 25 August 10 18:55 BST (UK) »
n/c

Offline aricandec

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 26 February 11 12:42 GMT (UK) »
Thought he was 'Mad' Jack Hall!!  Family originated up Redesdale - not far from Otterburn.  The hotel that calls itself Otterburn Castle is a rebuild on an old site.  Castle ruins on the A68 still very prominent.
My descent is from Jacob Hall c.1727, Kirkwhelpington - 14 children.  Father probably James and his father, by family legend, Mad Jack.  Family tree (in book form) from him, through son Thomas (b.1768) to current done by a family member about 30 years ago.  Now trying to move back from James (possible wife Elizabeth Robson) to prove descent.
Enid
Brown - Galashiels; Cochrane - Galashiels and Kelso; Haddon - Selkirk and Peebles; Goodfellow, Laing, Scott, White - Hawick; Saunders - Plymouth and London; Hingston, Lindon, Sedgwick - Devon; Cruickshank,  Scott - Moray; Bruce - Alford, Aberdeenshire; Murray - Edinburgh, Lasswade; Alexander - Falkirk and Northumberland; Snowdon - Rothbury and Co.Durham; Hall - Northumberland and Co.Durham; Cook - Co.Durham; Hobson and Falshaw - Leeds and North Yorkshire;

Offline bluebeards

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 03 June 11 16:50 BST (UK) »
My husband's mother's family are Halls and descend from "Mad Jack" in Otterburn.   Have been up to Elsdon and Otterburn and have found out a fair amount about the family.  Also went to Kew and found not only Mad Jack's speech written in pencil and night before he was executed, but also an envelope of bids from people wanting to buy his land some time after it was confiscated.  Have loads of writing on the family back to  John Hall 1735 and a family tree...not done by me showing the connection right back to Mad Jack.  Would love to be in contact with other Hall "chasers"!!!

Offline Samuel P Hall

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 21 August 11 06:11 BST (UK) »
I would be very interested in the information & tree.
Much appreciated,

Sam Hall
Tennessee, USA