Author Topic: ** Completed** Gamlingay records look-up please  (Read 3840 times)

Offline TonyR

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
** Completed** Gamlingay records look-up please
« on: Wednesday 19 May 10 08:31 BST (UK) »
Hi all, if anyone has easy access to Gamlingay records I would appreciate a look-up.

What I have is from IGI, marriage of William Page to Ann Triplow on 28 July 1761 in Gamlingay.  I am trying to prove / disprove whether this William Page might be from Ampthill, Bedford or not, so if his age, or his father's name or his parish are recorded on marriage or the marriage banns it could help.

Thanks in advance.  Regards, TonyR.

Reasons for thinking this William might be from Ampthill - no obvious birth for him in Gamlingay (or Ann Triplow either).  Only christening to Wm Page & Ann I can see in Gamlingay is Elizabeth Page on 30 March 1766, then no more.  So unless William or Ann died, they could be the ones who appear in Ampthill & have following children: Henry Page 1767, Susan Page 1769, William Page 1771, Ann Page 1773, Frances Page 1775, Thomas Page 1778, Sally Page 1781.

There is a William Page born in Ampthill 6 Sept 1741, but I cannot see a marriage for him and Ann locally, to cover these births.  So, I wondered if William had to look further afield for a wife, as all the pretty maids in Ampthill had beeen snapped up!
Rooney Carlow/Wicklow to Dublin to Belfast to Birmingham. Johnston & Smyth Co Down. Crowe & Ryan Tipperary. Day, Rhodes & Johnston Barrow-in-Furness. Day, Bailey & Page Bedford. Day & Mead Somerset. Rhodes, White & Taylor Swadlincote. Reynolds Haverfordwest. Weekly Fishguard. Barzey Wales.

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Gamlingay records look-up please
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 May 10 09:06 BST (UK) »
There seem to be more Pages in Gamlingay than there are in War and Peace. 61 burials between 1730 and 1851, including Williams in 1773 and 1778, and Anns in 1771, 1784, 1791 and 1795.

There were Triplows in Gamlingay at the right time, but no Ann (28 burials between 1723 and 1800).

Unless the marriage entry says William of Ampthill (ages and fathers' names weren't added until 1837) it's going to be hard to prove.

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 May 10 17:17 BST (UK) »
28 July 1761 Gamlingay
William Page bac otp (x)
Ann Triplow sp otp (x) (BT Elizabeth)
Witnesses: J. Freeman, Elizth Ratford and John Facer

Not a lot of help I'm afraid

Selina

Offline TonyR

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 May 10 11:36 BST (UK) »
Hi David, 'more Pages than War & Peace' very good.  I knew I would be lucky to get a result, but worth a try and my theory is still a 'definite possibility'.  I'd forgotten about ages & father's names before 1837 and I expect there were no 'clues' in any of those deaths you mention eg wife of William or widow or similiar.

Hi Selina, you're correct in that it wasn't the answer I wanted but it is helpful because at least it tells me Ann as a spinster, was a Triplow & not an Ann something else who had married a Triplow.  Only problem being BT Elizabeth clouds the issue.

Did record list whether marriage was by banns or licence & do you or anyone else know whether banns are available & whether they might have any more info re parish?  I promise this is last grasp at straw ;D

Many thanks both for your interest.  Regards, TonyR.
Rooney Carlow/Wicklow to Dublin to Belfast to Birmingham. Johnston & Smyth Co Down. Crowe & Ryan Tipperary. Day, Rhodes & Johnston Barrow-in-Furness. Day, Bailey & Page Bedford. Day & Mead Somerset. Rhodes, White & Taylor Swadlincote. Reynolds Haverfordwest. Weekly Fishguard. Barzey Wales.

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 May 10 11:55 BST (UK) »
If they were both otp in the marriage then the banns will be the same. Or to put it another way, if the banns said William of Ampthill it would have been repeated in the marriage entry

It might be worth trying Ampthill banns to see if there's a William Page who married elsewhere.

I took the burials from the NBI. You need the parish register to see if there's any additional detail

What were they doing between 1761 and 1766?

David

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 20 May 10 12:34 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

No Banns for that marriage at Gamlingay.

1771 and 1778 burials of a William Page not relevant but there is one 9 September 1810 of William Page lab.  No age given.

Also 31 January 1795 burial of Ann Page wife of William lab.

Selina

Offline TonyR

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 22 May 10 06:38 BST (UK) »
Hi David, 'What were they doing between 1761 and 1766?' is a really good question.  I would have expected them to be having a couple of children, but cannot see any record on IGI to cover this.  I then thought that maybe any children died as infants & weren't baptised but Selina seems to have covered that.  So the answer is I have no idea what they were doing!

I will have to ask a fellow rootschatter if they can oblige at BLARS to take up your suggestion of 'It might be worth trying Ampthill banns to see if there's a William Page who married elsewhere'.

Hi Selina, those deaths seem to suggest a couple named William & Ann Page in Gamlingay, which would end my theory of them living in Ampthill.

Does 'No Banns for that marriage at Gamlingay.' mean that that particular marriage has no corresponding Banns or all marriage Banns are missing?

Many thanks to both for your time & effort.  Regards, TonyR

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 22 May 10 06:51 BST (UK) »
Most transcripts only include banns which didn't result in a marriage in that parish (implying that the banns contain no more information than you'd find in the marriage entry)

David

Offline TonyR

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 22 May 10 08:11 BST (UK) »
Hi David, I'm a little confused (not difficult nowadays!) about your last reply.

What I thought you meant by your suggestion  'It might be worth trying Ampthill banns to see if there's a William Page who married elsewhere' was that it might be possible to find banns in Ampthill, for a William Page who lived in Ampthill who was marrying a girl from another parish, in her parish.

That way banns would be lodged in both parishes before the marriage & the original Ampthill banns which survive (or copies of) would be available at BLARS for inspection.  These Ampthill banns would then have the details of the bride's name & parish for me to investigate further.

If I'm way off with my interpretation then apologies but you will have to explain it more simply for me please.  If I'm close to what you mean, I shall have to ask someone to do a look-up for at BLARS for me, problem being it will be over quite a few years so not an easy 'ask', unless BLARS have some sort of index to banns.  Regards, TonyR.