Author Topic: Incoming UK Passenger Lists, 1947ish  (Read 6271 times)

Offline Lindyloowho

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Incoming UK Passenger Lists, 1947ish
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 20 May 10 01:17 BST (UK) »
Karen - yes they did marry in Montreal, but all my friend knows is that it wasn't in a church.  It was in her mothers family home in Hampstead, a suburb of Montreal.

Nigel - I didn't order the John Martin in Cranbrook certificate, because he appears to be the one who is living in Australia. I have had email correspondence with his sister Joan's daughter.  That's why I find it so strange that my man says he was born at the same time, in the same place, with the same parents names as the John Martin living in Australia.

Unfortunately we know nothing about Johns brother Stephen, other than he was supposed to have gone to Australia.  Not sure where he was born.

On doing a bit of Googling I'm guessing that my John saw the writing on the wall in May 1947, considering the Partition of India took place in August 1947. He worked for British Imperial Tobacco as an auditor/accountant, so could conceivably have travelled back and forth to UK from Canada.

Thank you both, Linda

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 20 May 10 01:22 BST (UK) »
Hmmm, Quebec didn't have civil registration till 1995 so any marriage record would be a church record  :-\

Did he work for Imperial Tobacco in Montreal?

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline Lindyloowho

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 20 May 10 01:34 BST (UK) »
Yes, he did for quite a few years, before eventually starting his own business, which my friend now runs.

Civil registration didn't take place until 1995? Wow, I had no idea.

Linda

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 23 May 10 00:13 BST (UK) »
There are no births for a Stephen Martin / mother Crowther he must have been born elsewhere or the memory of the father's name was somehow missconstrued
There is only one birth for a John* in Cranbrook (no mother's name used in search) and Nigel found it, mother Crowther (used * in cas2 Johnathan, Johnathon,etc.)

Only three births all told mother Crowther, Joan in 1925 there was also a Gillian A Martin Sept. Q 1938 / Cranbrook  vol.2a  p.1833

While there are numerous marriages using the two surnames, there is only one marriage of a "Stephen" Martin to a Crowther and that's the one to Beatrice E. in Ticehurst...she may have used her middle name except on documents which may have been Elizabeth...

Being that you have the date of birth which was used on a passport, it makes sense to send for that birth cert & confirm..as I think you may have the right man and a small price to pay to be sure...No explanation for the Australian family thinking otherwise
~~~
Thought a little harder, and if John adopted his middle name of Hugh, perhaps this person in Australia was a brother also using a middle name of John ( sounds as though a family rift may have kept the sibling's descendants from knowing about each other...) Finding the births in India would be a boon....maybe one might find a Stephen John...:) J.J.

Here is a birth for a  Beatrice Elizabeth Crowther / Ticehurst / vol. 2b  p.116
* Just noted didn't add the year, etc. it was September quarter 1899
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline Lindyloowho

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 23 May 10 02:15 BST (UK) »
J.J.

I appreciate your response.  I have ordered the birth certificate, and have asked Joan's daughter if she has a copy of "her John's".  She is adamant they are not the same family, but I'm seriously thinking they are connected in some way.

I had found the marriage for Stephen and Beatrice, but not the additional birth of Gillian.  Interestingly Joan's daughter felt there were only two children born to Stephen and Beatrice - John and Joan.

My John hardly spoke of his parents and had no contact with the brother who was supposedly in Australia, so obviously something had happened.

If I ever solve this mystery, I will let everyone know!

Thanks, Linda

Offline foxjohnstone

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 22 June 10 22:35 BST (UK) »
I don't suppose he was ever in the Army ?, if so- you may get a few clues. Some family secrets never come out of the closset!.
My friend is having a terrible time as her mother left her one clue as to who her maternal gran was ( a suitcase with a very well known name written on the inside) BUT HOW TO PROVE IT ? you can't just turn round to someone and say .... by the way your gran had an illegitimate child who was put into an orphanage... and here's the suitcase to prove we are related !!!
Researching the family of Matthew fox JOHNSTONE born Ireland 1832 , Served  in India from 1855 with the Royal Artillery.
 Matthew's 8 children and their families married into the following families in India;- ( Of Irish blood= Wheeler, Kenyon, Baker, Raynor, Fitzgerald-Uniacke, Fox), of Scotch blood = Gilmour, Balfour, Taylor, . Of un-known/British blood;- Rose, Matthews, Rae, Hicks-Beach, Jones,Swetenham, D'Aguilar, Boutflower, Gwyther.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 02 October 11 19:27 BST (UK) »
ack, I feel for you foxJ, hope something else turns up for you eventually....
Linda, what ever did you find out from the certs ordered...This is an interesting one... We do love a good hunt but need more in order to bite into it!  ;D
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com