Author Topic: adams  (Read 10938 times)

Offline Angela Burns

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
adams
« on: Thursday 20 May 10 02:07 BST (UK) »
Hello, I am looking for information on Adams surname that lived in Hilton, Derbyshire, Marston Upon Dove England.

The family is:

John Adams: b 04 Nov 1734 in Hilton, Derbyshire, Marston Upon Dove England, d 07 May 1815 in New London, PEI, Canada

wife: Elizabeth Wright, b 1740 in Hilton, Derbyshire, Marston Upon Dove England, d 31 Jul 1762 in Hilton, Derbyshire, Marston Upon Dove England.

Son: William, b30 Nov 1757 in Hilton, Derbyshire, Marston Upon Dove England, d 21 Jun 1765 in Hilton, Derbyshire, Marston Upon Dove England.

Son: Thomas, b 18 Mar 1759 in Hilton, Derbyshire, Marston Upon Dove England, d Abt. 25 Apr 1759 in Hilton, Derbyshire, Marston Upon Dove England.

Son: John, b 20 Feb 1761 in Hilton, Derbyshire, Marston Upon Dove England, d 16 Mar 1843 in New London, PEI, Canada

John Adams Sr. and Jr. moved to Prince Edward Island Canada where John Sr. married Sarah Harrison. 

I am wondering if there are any headston inscriptions of this family in Hilton.  Also if anyone knows any other relatives of John Adams Sr. (possible father is either Richard or Thomas) or other relatives of Elizabeth Wright. 

Thank you, your help is greatly appreciated.

Offline skewbald

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: adams
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 May 10 09:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Dawn, maybe a nice e-mail to the vicar could bring some results. This is the church website which gives the e-mail address.

http://www.hiltononline.org.uk/club_profile.php?id=34

Skewy

Offline COMEONFRANK

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 May 10 16:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Dawn

I was married at St Marys Marston on Dove and I only live a mile down the lane so I will go and have a look for you if you like and take some photos if I find any.
There is only a chapel in Hilton with no graves so if your ancestors lived in this area they will most likely to be buried at Marston on Dove or Rolleston on Dove.

Paul

Offline Angela Burns

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 25 May 10 18:43 BST (UK) »
Paul:  That would be wonderful of you!  Very much appreciated!  I think I have put up all the info that I have on the Adams and of Elizabeth Wright.  I hope I am not sending you on a wild goose chase!  Sorry in advance if I did! Once again thank you and I look forward to seeing any pics and reading any info that you can find!

Skewy:  I might just do that.  Thank you for your advice!

Offline Mr. Bill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 June 10 01:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Dawn,

I am tracing the same Adams lineage and I'm stuck on Thomas Adams (B: 1710) and Mary ?.

THOMAS ADAMS was born Abt. 1710 in England, and died Unknown in England.  He married MARY Abt. 1730. 

Child of THOMAS ADAMS and MARY :
JOHN ADAMS, b. November 04, 1734, Hilton, Marston-Upon-Dove, Derbyshire, England; d. May 07, 1815, New London, Queens, Prince Edward Island, Canada.

I think any additional info about Thomas and Mary will be helpful to both of us. 'Wonder if they also lived in Hilton?

Bill

Offline Angela Burns

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 07 June 10 20:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Bill

I have Richard Adams (b 16 Sept 1688) and unknown were the parents of John Adams (b 1734, d 1815) and then Richard's parents were Thomas Adams (b 1662) and Joane Ashery (marriage 05 Sept 1686).  I also recall there was someone married to a Mary Yates, but I can't seem to find my notes on her and I don't have her entered into my family tree program.  How does this information relate to what you have?

Are you descended from John Adams and Elizabeth Wright or from 2nd wife Sarah Harrison?   I have a picture of the headstone and inscription of John Adams 1734-1815 and wife Sarah's headstone and inscription from New London, PEI, Canada.  If you are interested let me know and I will send them to you...

Dawn

Offline Mr. Bill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 07 June 10 21:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Dawn,

Thank you for responding.

I am descended from John Adams and Elizabeth Wright. Yes, I am very interested and excited about seeing the headstones.

I have been using the following link: http://www.islandregister.com/adams1.html
for Thomas Adams (1710). Do you have another source?

I'm also very interested in comparing our Adams lineages... Mine is John, John, Jonathan, James (via Marston-Upon-Dove and Prince Edward) followed by William and Christopher (Hardwicke then Maine).

Bill

Offline COMEONFRANK

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 07 June 10 22:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Dawn

Sorry I have not had chance to look at gravstones for you yet but I will do , I have not forgotten.

If you are not familiar with the villages of Hilton and Marston on Dove , they have recently been published on Google street view , I thought you may be interested in taking a look.

Regards

Paul

Offline Angela Burns

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 08 June 10 03:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Bill...just sent you two private messages...

Hi Paul...thanks for not forgetting...I know life gets busy!  I will check out Google and see what I can find!  Thanks for the tip!  Looking forward to seeing if any of the relatives are there in Marston on Dove. 

Dawn