Author Topic: Looking for a Stroud workhouse inmate  (Read 18896 times)

Offline ChasH

• My email is no longer working sorry
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The fool Monty
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a Stroud workhouse inmate
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 03 June 10 14:36 BST (UK) »
Nutkin,

Took some finding but I knew I'd made a note of it because it was unusual

In one of the films of Horsley records I've searched there was a handwritten table of baptisms entitled, Baptisms in the Work House of the Stroud Union situate in the Parish of Horsley in the year 1835(I think).

The vicar had also recorded the parish from which the parents came - Stroud, Rodborough, Minchin Hampton (sic), Bisley, Stone House and Avening.

I know this does not help you directly but perhaps a look at Horsley baptisms for later years might.

Regards

Chas
My email is no longer working sorry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Bevstn:DAVIES:HIGGS:PERROT
Bisly:BROWN:COOK:CURTIS:DAVIS:FRANKLIN:GARDINER:GRIME:JEFFERIES:PEACEY:STEPHENS:WARREN
ChSod:HARDING:HIGGS
Colrne:GOLDEN
G Bad:DAVIES
Horsly:ADAMS:BAYLY:BIRD:COOK:EVANS:GAZARD:HILL:LEWIS:MATTHEWS:PRIDE:SKIRTON:TEAKLE:TURK:WALKLEY:YOUNG
K'St:BISHOP:PINEGAR
Marsh'd:BLAKE
Minch:HILL:MASON:PERRIN
N.Nib:PERROT:SHATFORD:WAYMAN:WOODWARD
N.Wrax:BLAKE

Offline Squirrel Nutkin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 03 June 10 17:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks Chas, that's helpful. How would I go about looking at Horsley baptism records? Does it require a visit to Stroud or is there another way of accessing the records?

Osprey - I have wondered about those other Stricklands, but I don't know how to make a link. I did find a worryingly late death record for a George Strickland of similar age, which would imply Harriet wasn't a widow after all, but I have satisfied myself that it is the other Geo Strickland who married Ellen Grimes. One less skeleton to worry about! ;D
Beauchamp, Nevill, Payne, Southgate Sands, Strickland, Perret, Davies, Loxham, Chapuis

Offline Squirrel Nutkin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 03 June 10 17:34 BST (UK) »
I've just revisited the 1871 CR, Osprey - I see what you mean about the H. How intriguing! Wonder if it was a skill he used once he got to India?!
Beauchamp, Nevill, Payne, Southgate Sands, Strickland, Perret, Davies, Loxham, Chapuis

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 03 June 10 18:40 BST (UK) »
Well, you'd want short hair in that heat!

I've just had another look at the GRO Regimental records & I found birth regs for both sons, with more than one regiment mentioned in both.

Cassily L Strickland Delhi 1884 12th regiment vol 870 pg 4
                                                 16th regiment vol 934 pg 44
                                                 78th regiment vol 205 pg 47

Vincent N Strickland Dalhousie 1880 12th regiment vol 870 pg 2

So definitely Army!

You can get copies of the certs from the GRO.

I'll have another for George's death. You would have thought that there might be more children in between the marriage in 1875 and the birth of Vincent.

:-\
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline ChasH

• My email is no longer working sorry
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The fool Monty
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 04 June 10 13:26 BST (UK) »
Nutkin,

At the pilot site http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=home  you will find a William George Strickland birth details in Stroud.

No father's name means illigitimate so perhaps no wonder Ann might have ended up in the Union workhouse.

If you look at the details you will find a Source Film Number.

Have a look on the other forum folder for my message about ordering LDS films b ut if you cannot get to an LDS FHC do not bother.

Regards

Chas
My email is no longer working sorry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Bevstn:DAVIES:HIGGS:PERROT
Bisly:BROWN:COOK:CURTIS:DAVIS:FRANKLIN:GARDINER:GRIME:JEFFERIES:PEACEY:STEPHENS:WARREN
ChSod:HARDING:HIGGS
Colrne:GOLDEN
G Bad:DAVIES
Horsly:ADAMS:BAYLY:BIRD:COOK:EVANS:GAZARD:HILL:LEWIS:MATTHEWS:PRIDE:SKIRTON:TEAKLE:TURK:WALKLEY:YOUNG
K'St:BISHOP:PINEGAR
Marsh'd:BLAKE
Minch:HILL:MASON:PERRIN
N.Nib:PERROT:SHATFORD:WAYMAN:WOODWARD
N.Wrax:BLAKE

Offline Squirrel Nutkin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 05 June 10 16:01 BST (UK) »
Thank you Chas.

Osprey - help! I'm confused! Knowing nothing about military matters, why would more than one regiment be mentioned?! Thanks for finding these references, by the way. It's good to be able to tie George down to a career!

Thanks so much for all your help. I'd be totally stuck if you hadn't spotted the Eagles link.

I do wonder whether those other Stricklands out there might be related. I need to go back and check where exactly they were.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 05 June 10 18:24 BST (UK) »
I've come across this before, but can't remember what the explanation is. A query on the armed forces board may help.

Didn't find a death for Wm Geo, but I did spot another couple of possible births given the regiments

Ralph O Strickland Fyzabad 1882 12th regiment vol 870 pg 3

Rowland G Strickland Mian Mir 1887 78th regiment vol 205 pg 47
                                                         16th regiment vol 934 pg 44
                                                          12th regiment vol 870 pg 9

He might be the one who married as George Rowland Strickland in Nowshera in 1920 to Norah Mary Hall
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Old Mister Brown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 11 July 14 22:24 BST (UK) »
I am a member of this Strickland family! Vincent Norman Strickland was my grandfather (born Dalhousie, India, 1880). His three younger brothers were Clinton Ralph, Cassily Lionel and George Roland. All born in India. Vincent's parents were (William) George Strickland and Harriet Cox (Nee Eagles). Harriet was born at Saugor, Bengal. (William) George was born illegitimate at Stroud Union Workhouse in 1855. His mother was Ann Strickland who had been born in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire. I know a great deal about the more recent generations with the single exception of what happened to my great-uncle Cassily Strickland and his family and descendents! My grandfather Vincent's sons were John and Eugene. John was a distinguished Gurkha officer. My father was also distinguished and ended as a General. Please contact me, Squirrel Nutkin!

Offline Squirrel Nutkin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 12 July 14 13:14 BST (UK) »
Hello Old Mister Brown

Well, that's exciting! I'm afraid I am now a bit rusty on information having not looked into this for a few years. However, I can tell you that I am Cassily Lionel's great-granddaughter. He married Edith Beauchamp who had ended up working in India as a nurse. They moved to Burma - I think Cassily worked in the Post Office, but I'm not sure if that's right.They had four children: I am hesitating over which order they came in, but their names were Joan, Jean (my grandmother, they were twins), Paul and Ruth. Edith brought the children back to England without Cassily in 1927. I think he died when Japan invaded Burma, but again I'm not sure - family relations were not good, so information is a bit patchy, and my memory hazy! There are three of Cassily's grandchildren still living. I will let them know you have got in touch. Great to hear from you - thanks for posting!