Author Topic: Whatever happened to Charles Edward KERSHAW b. 1858 Islington  (Read 1675 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Whatever happened to Charles Edward KERSHAW b. 1858 Islington
« on: Thursday 20 May 10 21:59 BST (UK) »
Hi, Everyone,
Have very recently had my interest reawakened in my KERSHAW family, who lived at 90, St Paul's Rd. Canonbury in the 1861, 1871 and 1881 Censuses.  Parents John Thomas KERSHAW and Mary Ann (nee GURNER) had eight children born to them between 1858 and 1870 there, until John Thomas was tragically killed when he fell underneath the wheels of a London horsedrawn omnibus at Highbury Corner in July 1870...
I have managed to track the lives of seven of these children beyond this date, but have been unable to discover the whereabouts of the firstborn child, Charles Edward KERSHAW, b. 1858.  His last appearance is in the 1871 Census.
If anyone can discover him (mistranscribed in a Census, stepping aboard a ship to take him far away from his native London, or even a death or burial entry) I would be extremely grateful!
Very best wishes, keith

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Latest bud on my family tree
    • View Profile
Re: Whatever happened to Charles Edward KERSHAW b. 1858 Islington
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 May 10 00:01 BST (UK) »
I have found them in 1861 census at 43 St.Pauls Terrace  RG9/140/fol. 7 not no.90?
John T Kershaw 26 Civil Engineer St.Lukes
Mary A 31 Cheapside
Charles E 3 Ballspond
Harriett Blackmore 14 Gen Serv. Norfolk

Jennifer
Stevens /Godfrey /Rudgley /Claridge/ Gipson /George /Bliss
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Re: Whatever happened to Charles Edward KERSHAW b. 1858 Islington
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 22 May 10 07:37 BST (UK) »
Hi, Jennifer,
Thanks very much for having a look for Charles Edward and family for me!  I'm pretty sure that St Paul's Terrace was part of St Paul's Rd. in 1861, and that some time thereafter the numbering changed; and that therefore this was the very same house.
Though, if there is someone with local knowledge of this part of Canonbury, then please correct my assumption...
Very best wishes, keith