Author Topic: IGI for Scotland Parishes  (Read 5289 times)

Offline baltibluebird

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
IGI for Scotland Parishes
« on: Friday 21 May 10 11:08 BST (UK) »
Hi

Does anyone know, please, whether or not all the Parishes in Scotland are on the IGI.

The reason I ask is that I am looking for someone born around 1750 and have only got 6 entries for the period searched as 1740-1760; it doesn't seem that many to me.

Thanks in anticipation ...

Offline dusty_streets

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: IGI for Scotland Parishes
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 May 10 11:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Wesywood1, can you tell me the name of the person you're looking for, & names of parents, parish, etc? It's a long shot but I might be able to help.
Dawn  :)
Rhodes, Bott, Wild, Brentnall, Burton, Cooper, Carty, Wallhead, Bowler, Scott, Pearson, Owen, Mills, Bacon, Turner, Wilson, Hartley, Mellows, Clarke, Shaw.

Offline baltibluebird

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 May 10 12:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Dawn  :)

Thanks for offering to help!  Very kind of you as I am really stuck!!

I am looking for the birth of a George Duthie born about 1746 but I am not sure where in Scotland at this moment.

I have his burial from 1821 in Fordoun, Kincardineshire, age stated was 75.  I am pretty sure it is him because the address given is South Blairs and in the 1841 census his widow, Jean Cruickshank is at South Blairs with her daughter Christina and her grandson, James Black.  Living next door is one of George Duthie  and Jean Cruickshank's children, James.

I also have his marriage to Jean Cruickshank 15 June 1794, Glenbervie and the OPR states they are both of this Parish.

I have previously posted about this but haven't got anywhere so I thought I would widen the search.

Thanks in anticipation ...

ADDED:  i know he had a brother, James as he is a witness to 2 baptisms of George's children.

Offline dusty_streets

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 May 10 13:13 BST (UK) »
Not good, I had a few credits left for the 'ScotlandsPeople' website so I thought I might be able to help someone.

In the bps register for all parishes I found: from 1.1.1740-31.12.1752 'Duthie', 62 names. I didn't search for other spellings - or ask to see the original. Perhaps that's something you could do if you're interested? It's not expensive.

I'm not sure what I'm allowed to tell you re. copywright but -

There is only one George bp 21.8.1751 Parish of Lonmay, in City/County of Aberdeen. Father Gibert Duthie.
Gilbert does not have any more entries. It isn't a name used for either parent or child.

Overall:
There are only 4 entries for Aberdeenshire, where Lonmay & Glenervie are: [areas of Fraserburgh 1; Lonmay, 1; Aberdeen, 2]
There are 35 entries for Kincardine. [areas of: Maryculter, 24; Dunnottar, 2; Durris, 2; Marykirk, 1; Fetteresso, 2; Nigg, 4]

bps for James Duthie:
27.11.1743, William Duthie & Margaret Mitchell, Alloa Clackmannan.
23.4.1744, John Duthie, Kirriemuir, Angus.
14.8.1744, Patrick Duthie, Kirriemuir, Angus.
5.5.1745, Robert Duthie & Isobel Duthie, Maryculter, Kincardine.
29.6.1745, JOhn Duthie & Isabel Reid, Clackmannan, Clackmannan.
17.1.1751, Ja. Duthie, Kirrimuir, Angus.

It may or may not help but at least you've got something to read!, Sorry I couldn't help. Good luck. :)

Rhodes, Bott, Wild, Brentnall, Burton, Cooper, Carty, Wallhead, Bowler, Scott, Pearson, Owen, Mills, Bacon, Turner, Wilson, Hartley, Mellows, Clarke, Shaw.

Offline baltibluebird

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 May 10 13:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Dawn

Thanks for having a look for me; I have done numerous searches on SP but to no avail.

I think I will go and do a general search on George Duthie births in Scotland on SP for the period 1740-1760 and see what I come up with.

Thanks again.

If someone can please answer my original question as to how the coverage of the Parishes is on the IGI I would be grateful.

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 21 May 10 13:57 BST (UK) »
Hi

The link below is a good guide to IGI Batches, scroll down for the link for Scotland.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~hughwallis/IGIBatchNumbers.htm

Andy

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 21 May 10 14:02 BST (UK) »
There is a George Duthie born 1753 in Maryculter in Kincardineshire

Born 23 February 1753 and christened in Maryculter on 25th February 1753
parents are given as John Duthie and Elspet Still.

PS the original IGi is patchy concerning records in Scotland primarily because some areas were very poor at keeping records or they were subsequently destroyed by later generations.
The Family Search Beta site is better and has had more records added to it than the IGI which has remained in stasis for some years.

http://pilot.familysearch.org/

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 21 May 10 14:09 BST (UK) »
The same site also has a George Duthy born in 1748 in Banchory Devenick Kincardine and christened on 20th March 1748. The father is named as Alexr. Duthy

Offline baltibluebird

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 21 May 10 17:17 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thanks to you both for your input and links; will have to put my thinking cap on I think to try and unravel where he was born and who his parents were.