Author Topic: 16 Commercial road, Hereford  (Read 34714 times)

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 16 Commercial road, Hereford
« Reply #117 on: Sunday 13 November 11 22:11 GMT (UK) »
Thats a great link hanes teulu, it does suggest that in 1844 bye st without was known as new street, but walking the 1851, a super idea, doesnt't find dalek and glamis pub but could be useful in the future.

regards mike

Offline dalek39

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: Monday 14 November 11 05:07 GMT (UK) »
John Hankins..Innkeeper..15 Commercial Road Hereford..with wife and three daughters, plus brother William...1851 census. ;)

Offline Bilge

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: Monday 14 November 11 09:39 GMT (UK) »
ABELL-Hfds & Glouc. AWFORD-Glouc, Hfds & Worcs. DANTER-Glouc,Hfds & Worcs. DAUNTER-Hfds, Glouc & Worcs. BAYLISS-Worcs & Glouc. BILLINGHAM-Hfds. JENKINS-Glam, & Hfds. PIPER-Suffolk, Glam & Hfds. CULLUM-Hfds, Suffolk & Mom.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives

Offline Glamis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: Monday 14 November 11 10:52 GMT (UK) »
Bilge- Great find and Thanks to all again. I'm not sure what relevance the burial ground has to the situation but just to add other than John and Hannah Maria Hankins and those descended from them the majority of the rest of the Hankins are buried at the churchyard at Weston Beggard.

Offline dalek39

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: Monday 14 November 11 19:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Bilge...great picture of the Gate at Hereford...You said " I assume near the burial ground...what did you mean by that m'dear..

Offline muddy48

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: Monday 14 November 11 22:52 GMT (UK) »
I would say the Cemtery in question is about 300 metres down the road, opp. Union walk. - the web site below will be of interst to you all
http://www.herefordshire.gov.uk/docs/Commercial_Road_Old_Cemetery.pdf

IF you look at pic on Bilge 's posting  http://www.bl.uk/onlinegallery/onlineex/kinggeorge/b/003ktop00000015u096x0000.html 
looking through the gate you can see a building which happens to be the same location as the Kerry Arms. I did read some time ago that the return soldiers (dressed in uniform) from the Crimea, use to sit in a porch or an area similar, having a beer as they peered out downtoward Commerical rd.
"James Carey (Kerry). This same Carey was commemorated in the name of the Kerry Arms, the popular pub which still stands opposite the end of Commercial Road."
 Also the Gate was later demolished in part to widen the road -but the left side remained as a prison ( some nasty Prison at that) later the Prison was relocated to Goal St.

Offline muddy48

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: Tuesday 15 November 11 00:38 GMT (UK) »
This is fun :)

other information that maybe of interest..
Edward HANKINS, (F.) currier.

•Edward Hankins was not a Freeman of the City of Hereford.
•At the City of Hereford Quarter Sessions held on 13 January 1791, Edward Hankins was one of the Grand Jurors. [BG 11/5/76].
•[RESEARCH. HJ, 18 August 1802 – for death of Edward Hankins]
...................................................................................................
before 1880 there was a pub called The Stars and Garter, it is now the Baptist Church, which is next to the HopePole  - across from HopePole was another Inn - which looks like it could have been the Great Western Inn - which is about no.6 or 7 Commerical rd

Offline dalek39

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: Tuesday 15 November 11 05:51 GMT (UK) »
Glad you are enjoying this sage.. ;D  Look on the 1851 Census , John Hankins. Innkeeper. No.15 Commercial Rd..but we don't have any proof that he owned that pub.. I do know that his father in law Daniel Herbert was connected with that same pub, and either he died or went off somewhere, and left John and Hanna Maria  with it..well thats my theory..have to find the proof, or its only heresay...
Tanes Helula.. Sorry Hanes for the incorrect spelling..gave me a site that is well worth looking up..
http://Http://WWW.youtube.com/watch?v=pWkTVz42vlo