Author Topic: 16 Commercial road, Hereford  (Read 34721 times)

Offline dalek39

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 16 Commercial road, Hereford
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 23 May 10 23:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks Hanes Teulu.....glad to be here....

I am searching about the Hankins on another thread, just incase you were not aware, so maybe we should go there, keep it all together...but thanks for that advise on 16 Commercial Rd...I wonder if it was one main building in its day, or divided as it is now...
So it was No. 15...can you enlighten us anymore about your info please...sounds interesting...many thanks.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 24 May 10 18:04 BST (UK) »
dalek 39,
I have no interest (family wise) in the Hankins family - just happy to be providing useful (hopefully) info to Glamis and Glamis' Cousin OZ.
Regarding the other thread you refer to, you'll appreciate that after reading it I'm on tenterhooks concerning the tenor of my response - but here goes

Samuel Hankins, hay and straw dealer, Commercial Rd (1856 Hereford)
Almshouses, Hospitals etc - St Giles, St Owen's Gate (for five poor men), Rev Thomas Frederick Paul Hankins, Chaplain (1856 Hereford)
Hankins, Mrs, Canon moor, (1856 Hereford)

Pulson is a small place on the south bank of the River Wye about 1 1/2 miles from Hereford
Gentry - Hankins, Rev Thos Fredk Paul B.A (Hereford 1856).

Hankins J, Brook End St, Ross (Hereford 1856)

Attorneys Edward Hankins, South end St, Ledbury, Herefordshire (1844)

regards

Offline Glamis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 24 May 10 22:06 BST (UK) »
hanes teulu ,Brant81uk , Dear Both, Thank you very much for this info. I/We suspected it may be a building that at sometime was divided. So from what you indicate; Hanes teulu, this is the case? I wonder if there are any archives that record this? Would you know? Brant8iUK, it would be so good to hear anything your Grandad has to say about the pub in his time; does he remember what it was called? That's what I'd really like to know. Do you/he know when it closed? Waht is Number 16 now? Again Thanks Both- great to clear that up but again as we all know an answer to one question will always pose many others.

Offline Brant81uk

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I am not longer receiving emails
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 24 May 10 22:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Glamis,

I have just purchased a book on Hereford Pubs from Waterstones which should arrive Tomorrow. I will scan through it and see what I can find out in there for you. As for asking my grandad? He died in 1981, was just told stories by my dad and his old mate who used to go drinking with him..lol

Offline Glamis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 24 May 10 22:33 BST (UK) »
Brant81uk , Oh, I'm so sorry , you wrote/spoke as though you're Grandad was there to ask. I really don't wish to offend and cause you any problems. How kind that you would do this for us. Thank you.

Offline dalek39

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 25 May 10 01:03 BST (UK) »
  ..I have just come online to see your posts.....many thanks to you both, only wish I was there to assist....I realize this Hankins family are bigger than I thought..we could not do this without your help. :-* :)

Offline Brant81uk

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I am not longer receiving emails
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 25 May 10 01:14 BST (UK) »
Brant81uk , Oh, I'm so sorry , you wrote/spoke as though you're Grandad was there to ask. I really don't wish to offend and cause you any problems. How kind that you would do this for us. Thank you.

Thats ok Glamis,

Didn't offend me at all...lol He died 3 months after I was born so didn't know him or anything about him. I'm looking forward to reading the Herefordshire Pub book. Hopefully it should shed some light as to what pubs were in Commercial road.

I asked my dad about Hereford pubs and he said, at one time Hereford had the 2nd highest amount of pubs per street than anywhere else in England. Worcester having the highest amount per street.
There are currently 6 pubs and 1 club on Commercial road and 2 others have closed down.

Anyway i'll report back soon. :)

Offline Glamis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 25 May 10 08:25 BST (UK) »
Brant81uk, Thanks again, How strange that there were so many 'hostelries'. It will be interesting to know what No 15/16 Commercial Road used to be called and if it is recorded in the book.

Offline dalek39

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 25 May 10 09:35 BST (UK) »
I have just found on Genuki..Hereford Trades...The White Swan...owned by Samuel Neal..in 1876. Commercial Road...Its the only one listed in Commercial Road...wonder if thats the one we are looking at....