Author Topic: 16 Commercial road, Hereford  (Read 34723 times)

Offline Glamis

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 16 Commercial road, Hereford
« Reply #9 on: Friday 21 May 10 18:18 BST (UK) »
Yes, I like that- it is fun. I've told my cousin as she was the one who found out the address of the pub. Wish we knew what it used to be called though. Does anyone know?

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 21 May 10 18:51 BST (UK) »
Glamis,
Have checked various census' (1861 - 1911) and No 16 never listed as Pub. 1891 was uninhabited and 1911 not listed on census.
In 1913 it was occupied by Price (Lindsay) Ltd, House Furnishers.
In 1881 occupied by Emma Davies, occ'n General Dealer (but doesn't imply business was transacted on the premises).
In 1901 occupied by retired shoemaker.

Found a Kerry Arms Hotel in Commercial St at Nos 38/39 and Coach + Horses No 47.

regards

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 21 May 10 19:04 BST (UK) »
Two more pubs for Commercial Rd, 1913

Commercial Inn, No 44a
Gt Western Inn, No 19

regards

Offline Glamis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 21 May 10 21:21 BST (UK) »
hanes teulu, you're brilliant finding out all of this. Thank you. I'll now ask my cousin who'll probabley join us on this as some one gave her the info.

Offline dalek39

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 23 May 10 09:30 BST (UK) »
Hello Hanes Teulu.
.I'm Glamis's cousin. Aust....I have been trying to find this Hankins family, and found John Hankins and Hannah Maria in this Inn on the 1851 census....so thank you so much for your assistance...At this stage, I am trying to locate who John Hankins parents were..I have two possibilities...Richard Hankins. b 1772..Munsley. Herefordshire....married to Sarah Daffy.. and a Richard Hankins..b 1772 Weston Beggard.. Herefordshire....married to Mary Daffy..Herefordshire...Richard Hankins died in 1841 at Weston Beggard Herefordshire..as I have it...can you please help us sort this out... ::) ;D

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 23 May 10 13:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Glamis' Cousin and welcome to this site.

If you address your query to the group as a whole it will pay much greater dividends!!

Can you post all the information you have about the Hankins in "this Inn on the 1851 Census".

At 16 Commercial Rd, St Peter, Hereford on the 1851 Census we have Elizabeth Wall, Grocer and Tea Dealer + family, boarders and friends.

regards 

Offline Brant81uk

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I am not longer receiving emails
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 23 May 10 14:08 BST (UK) »
The Commercial pub was an old haunt of my grandads. I have been there on a number of occasions but it isn't the kind of pub you would want to take your family.

As for 16 Commercial Rd I have walked by the hair dressers many times, a friend of mine worked there but not sure if she still soes. I'm to young to know what it's former use was? I can ask my dad he will have an idea of what it could of been. He has a lot of books on Hereford, I will have a scan through them and see what I can find.

Ty :)

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 23 May 10 14:54 BST (UK) »
Glamis' Cousin,

Apologies - the penny's just dropped.

The address is 15 Commercial Rd and John/Maria have been transcribed as Hawkins rather than Hankins on the site I subscribe to for the 1851 Census. They are also on the previous page to the page I have been accessing for No 16.

They are described as "Innkeeper/Inkeeper's Wife" which could imply the premises is an inn/pub/tavern. Is this where you are coming from and apologies for any confusion?

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 23 May 10 17:39 BST (UK) »
The marriage of a John Hankins with a Hannah Maria Herbert on the same page was registered Jun 1845 Hereford & c  26  260A - see FreeBMD.

Sending for the marriage cert shd deliver both fathers.

16 Commercial Rd appears to have been a bit of a red herring? Although I did enjoy the 1851 entry for John's household at No 15  which lists

Henry Dursten (?), Visitor, 28, Artist - Animals and Portraits painted!! Nothing like a bit of advertising.

regards