Author Topic: Jeremiah Carey  (Read 5208 times)

Offline akissling

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jeremiah Carey
« on: Friday 21 May 10 16:26 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find out more information on my GGgrandfather Jeremiah Carey. He may have been born around 1816. I know for a fact that he joined the 58th Regiment of Foot in 1832. He married Margaret McKinnon in Edinburgh, Scotland in 1841. He was a soldier on several convict ships, lived in Sydney for a while and finally settled in New Zealand where he was pentioned out. He died in Auckland in 1859. I know nothing about his family in Ireland although the military information states that he was from Nenagh. If he followed naming patterns his father was Joseph Carey (this is the name of his oldest son). Thanks for considering my request.
Alison
Carey, McCabe, McKinnon, Barr, Curr, Templeton

Offline agho

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Jeremiah Carey
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 May 10 19:52 BST (UK) »
The church records for Nenagh are incomplete, unfortunately.
There is a gap in the transcribed records between 1810 & 1830 and again between 1843 & 1844 see "sources" on www.irish-roots.ie
The microfilms of the original records in the National Library, Dublin, have a gap between Nov 1809 & Nov 1830.
It looks like your ancestor was born in the unrecorded years unfortunately
Burns Scotland/Australia/Cork
Fitzgerald East Cork
Lynch Glanmire/Glounthaune
Walsh Clare/Westmeath
Haskett
Murley Cork

Offline akissling

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Jeremiah Carey
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 May 10 01:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for the information. Disappointing but very helpful! I guess there isn't much I can do to find him in Ireland then! I suppose I am lucky that he has popped up in Scotland as a soldier and can trace him from there!
Carey, McCabe, McKinnon, Barr, Curr, Templeton