Author Topic: Murray brothers dad  (Read 1827 times)

Offline Lisaw

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Murray brothers dad
« on: Saturday 22 May 10 14:46 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone need a little advice on how to track these boys dad:

Robert Murray born about 1848, William Murray about 1852, & George Murray about 1854.
The mother of them is Margaret Brodie about 1818, daughter of Robert Brodie & Marian Hastie.
I can find Margaret on the 1841 census with mom & dad in Peebleshire. The 1851 has her with Robert Murray, age 2, son, living in Midlothian, by the 1861 census she has Robert, William, & George.
I kind of "lose" her after that as by the time the 1871 census is taken all the boys have moved out.
Robert Murray born 1848 marries in 1871, George marries in 1889. They both say their Dad is Robert Murray & Mom is Margaret Brodie.
I don't find "older" Robert on any census with his family. I also don't find a birth register for any of the boys.
Is it possible they weren't registered because they were illegitimate?
Thanks,
Lisa

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Murray brothers dad
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 May 10 09:22 BST (UK) »
Hi,there could be many reasons why you cannot find the records you're looking for.The sons could 've been baptised,but not in the Church of Scotland. There  wouldn't be birth certificates as they were born before registration began. Do the marriage certificates of their sons state whether either of their parents are deceased?If their father had died,you may find his death certificate.Their mother may have been widowed & could be listed under her maiden name in the censuses.This is common in Scotland. She could also have remarried & appear in later censuses under her new surname.If the children were illegitimate, it was usual to enter "reputed" against their father's name. If Robert,senior, was,say, an agricultural labourer, he could've been living on a farm.It was n't unusual to find married men living at their place of work. Their family could have been living a few miles away either with other family members or in rented accomodation. Have you searched for their deaths on scotlandspeople? What about the Brodies,if you can find death certificates for them you may be lucky & find either Margaret or Robert as the informant!
Regards,
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline Lisaw

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Murray brothers dad
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 May 10 15:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks flst.

I've found Robert & George's marriage registers & they both say father is Robert Murray, farmer, deceased, mother Margaret Murray m.s. Brodie, deceased. Robert's marriage is the earliest at 1871.
I've found Margaret Brodie's death in 1870, says she's single, daughter of Robert Brodie & Marian Hastie. The informant is Isabella Mesry?, but when I size the image up, it could be a sloppy writing of Murray.
Now I think I've found Robert's death & when I get more credits I'll open it up.
I'm now also in touch with another researcher who thinks its a good possibility that his Robert Murray is the father of them. He's looked for them too now & can't find a birth register for the boys or a marriage register between the parents.
Thanks again,
Lisa