Author Topic: James Duguid - Neilston  (Read 33818 times)

Offline Tumerboy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Duguid - Neilston
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 01 June 10 07:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks again guys. You have been incredibly helpful in all of this.

So, as much as I like Ancestry.com for keeping track of a lot of extra information, it's Family Tree view is kind of lame, in that I can't view siblings easily, or get a "big picture"

Thus, I've spent a bit of time in Photoshop assembling my tree from my James Duguid (1852) on down the line. 

I've uploaded it here: http://www.tumerboy.com/Duguid%20Family/Duguid%20Family%20Tree%20-%20James%20Duguid%20(Sr.)%20Branch.pdf

It's been very helpful in letting me easily spot holes in information that I'm missing, and get a better sense of my tree as a whole.

I'm going to have to do another for James & siblings backwards.  I also need to figure out a good way to denote which people are married in, and which are the direct descendants.  Maybe smaller boxes? or offset?  I should probably also mark Male vs. Female somehow.

Offline Murphyz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 10 July 10 17:43 BST (UK) »
From the Barrhead News (although it does not tell you anything new)

Edition of 20 September 1956 - Marriage Notice

"DUGUID - FREW - At the Memorial Chapel, University of Glasgow, on 13th September 1956, by Mr James McLachlan, assisted by the Rev David McArthur B.D., Dr William Paris, elder son of Mr & Mrs Joseph Duguid, 5 Bank Street, Barrhead to Jean Tarleton Stevenson, elder daughter of Mr & Mrs Adam Frew, 54 Coltswood Road, Coatbridge."

Edition of 5th September 1957 - Birth Notice

"DUGUID - To Dr & Mrs Wm P Duguid, 3 Kelvin Crescent, Bearsden, on 4th September 1957, a son, both well."

Edition of 12th April 1956 - Death Notice

"DUGUID - At a hospital on 7th April 1956, William Duguid, "Strathallan", 30 Glasgow Road, Uddingston (formerly manager of British Linen Bank, Uddingston), beloved hsuband of the late Janet S Turnbull, and the eldest son of the late William Duguid, Barrhead."

Offline Murphyz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 31 July 10 19:24 BST (UK) »
I came across this death notice, not 100% sure if a connection but thought there might be.

BHN – Edition of 21st May 1942

Deaths – “MAIR – Suddenly on 9th May 1942, William Craig Mair, East Lodge, Helensburgh, only son of the late Mr & Mrs James Pollock Mair, butcher, Neilston.”

Also, I can't photograph it from the fiche but the following advert appears 1915-1916 in Barrhead News.

“William Duguid

Joiner and Funeral Undertaker

Arthurlie Factory
Glen Street
Home – 5 Bank Street”

Offline Tumerboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 01 August 10 06:34 BST (UK) »
Thank you! yes, those are useful and Craig Mair sounds like the family I know.

Thanks again Murphyz!
-Nick

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Truth will out! (Finding it another matter!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 19 June 11 21:12 BST (UK) »
Hi

The Mair name has intrigued me as that's my granny's maiden name and her name was Annie.

My family have connections with Neilston/Barrhead  so i will have to do some more digging as there isn's any immediate link.

My father remembers the Duguids well tho as he lived in Kelburn St as a boy. They'd previously lived in Cogan St where my dad was born - stone's throw from kelburn St.

Will do some digging as if your David Mair is connected have loads can share with you - they were a very prolific family!

Ann :D
Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-

Offline Tumerboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 19 June 11 21:27 BST (UK) »
Cool Ann!

The little I know of the Mairs, is that my great grandfather's sister Janet (1877-1945), married David Campbell Mair (~1867-1941).  Her father (my G G Grandfather) owned a store in Neilston, and the shope next door, was a "Flesher" (butcher by my understanding), by the name of David Mair.  I think David Campbell Mair who married Janet Duguid, was David Mair's (butcher) son.  That's the family story anyway.  They had something like 15 kids.  But I have very little info on, and no contact with anyone from her branch of the tree.

Here are the two pictures I have of the shop:  http://o.mfcreative.com/f1/file15/objects/2/9/2/f292ef1f-dcae-419f-8630-6af1f7950378-0.jpg

http://o.mfcreative.com/f1/file13/objects/2/5/5/d25509fe-119b-477e-b201-30afa4ecf240-0.jpg

I still don't know where in Neilston this is/was, but would love to know if you (or your dad) knows.  I'd love to hear anything your dad can remember about my family in Scotland.

Thank you so much!
-Nick

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 19 June 11 23:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Nick

My dad's not seen your pic yet but next time I'm home (I live 250 miles away) he's promised to have look. I'll be up there in next 3-4 weeks. But he remembers Duguids shop. I think I know where it is. Me and Murphyz I think have worked out between us where it is. I just need my dad to confirm. Helpfully their next door neighbour is a born and bred Neilston boy so he will know for sure.

Now the Mair connection I think need to do more work. from what I remember , and dad (Annie Mair was dad's mum) not a close family. Dad says he doesn't remember her mentioning family in Neilston but that was tempered with 'You know what she was like.....'. My dad was born in Barrhead just down road but he remembers the Duguids well. He said when he served his time as apprentice which would have been late 1940s he did work for them but he said he remembers them from Sunday school to at the Bourock Church in Barrhead (Presby church). He also went to school with some of them. My dad lived in kelburn St after Cogan St. Dad's a plumber and the Duguids were joiners.

Dad was born 1935 so is a bit more recent.

I think your pics are fab btw! I know, I think , where it is on the main street but can't visulialise as it is now so a small visit I think required next time am home with camera.

My dad's paternal grandfather was the station master round the time your folks were there. Our family name is Connolly. The Mairs I thought were all Lanarkshire - they were miners - except my granny and her sisters who were all farm servants hence the Renfrewshire and Ayrshire connections. We're not sure where she met my grandpa but he also was a ploughman and Neilston has played a big part in our history.

I'll get dad to chat to me next time am home and make notes as over phone not so good. He's looking forward to seeing the pics!

I'd love it if could get connection to my Mairs cos huge tree to share on that front. But if we don;t at least we'll get the shop location sorted for you!
 :D

Ann

Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-

Offline Tumerboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 19 June 11 23:49 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much Ann!  While I think they lived in Nielston (Annfield house?), and the family story is that G G Grandpa (James Duguid Sr.) built the house there, he and his kids were all born in Barrhead.

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 20 June 11 00:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Nick

Dad remembers Annfield House. Just referring back to Murphyz earlier post re Moorhoead Road. That as it happens next road to where my dad had his business - nice houses - Victorian.

Lol never thought I'd ever sing praises of Barrhead (no offence to anyone who lives there) but tell you what they've been leagues ahead of other parts of Renfrewshire in trying to preserve their heritage - Paisley take note!

Ann :D