Author Topic: 1851 census Eveleigh South Neath Higher  (Read 2973 times)

Offline patmel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
1851 census Eveleigh South Neath Higher
« on: Sunday 27 March 05 12:31 BST (UK) »
Hello again,
On my previous inquiry about the Eveleigh family, in Neath Higher District 1861 census. I have Robert Eveleigh 53 married to a Mary Ann,but i can only find a marriage to Eleanor in 1833 in Devon. Could a kind person please locate him on the 1851 census to confirm his wife.
Previous census address was Bethania street, South Neath Higher.
                            Patmel

Offline Welsh Jen

• Dyfal donc a dyr yr garreg!
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 census Eveleigh South Neath Higher
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 March 05 12:46 BST (UK) »
Mary is listed as his wife in 1851

2463 1851 CENSUS OF MELINCRYDDAN. REF.H.O.107/2463, E.D.7C. Piece: 2463      Folio: 358     Schedule: 070
Address: MILE END ROW           

EVELEIGH ROBERT HEAD M 41 COLLIER BORN DEVON AYLESBEARE c1810
EVELEIGH MARY A. WIFE M 32 BORN DEVON EAST DOWN c1819
EVELEIGH WILLIAM SON U 16 COLLIER BORN DEVON WOODBURY c1835
EVELEIGH ROBERT SON U 14 COLLIER BORN WOODBURY c1839
EVELEIGH EDWARD SON 11 COLLIER BORN DEVON WOODBURY c1840
EVELEIGH RICHARD SON 9 COLLIER BORN DEVON WOODBURY c1842
EVELEIGH JOHN SON 7 BORN DEVON WOODBURY c1844
RADFORD BETSEY VISITOR U 17 BORN DEVON EAST DOWN c1834

Many from Woolbury / Woolsury area of Devon moved to South Wales to places such as Neath, Swansea etc, many were were Wesleyan Methodists.

Happy Easter
Regards Jen  :)

Offline patmel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 March 05 13:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jen,
I must have the wrong marriage, will start looking again.
Enjoy Easter :) Patmel         

Offline Kevin137

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 August 11 13:10 BST (UK) »
I'm replying to a query from over six years ago, so I expect you will have found your answer by now, pat ...! But just in case it might be of help to anyone else, like me, coming to this thread for the first time, here's some more information about Robert Eveleigh and family:

Robert was married twice, in 1833 and 1850.

His first wife was Eleanor Gee (1816-45), It was presumably following Eleanor's death (she died in Devon) that Robert migrated to Neath. He brought with him six children: William (1834), Robert (1836), Ann (1837), Edward (1840), Richard (1842), and John (1844).

He remarried in Neath, his second wife being Mary Ann Radford (1820-83), another Devonian -- she had migrated to Neath at some time in the period 1841-51 together with her brother, sister, and widowed mother. Robert and Mary had two children: George (1852) and Samuel (1856).

In 1851 Robert (who was originally from Aylesbeare near Exeter) was living in Mile End Row in the Melincryddan district of Neath. By 1861 the family had moved to Glynneath, where they were living in Bethania Street. Ten years later, they had moved on again, to the Rhondda, where Robert is recorded as living in Dumfries Street, Treherbert, in the censuses of 1871 and 1881. Robert, who had been an agricultural labourer in Devon, spent the rest of his days working as a coalminer.

Interestingly, the Eveleighs are mentioned in Tony Hopkins's book Neath: the town and its people (West Glamorgan Archive Service 2010) -- as an example of an immigrant family in mid-19th century Neath -- although the author doesn't get the marriage details quite correct. Genealogy isn't always easy, even for the county archive services!
Names: Davies - Eveleigh - Griffiths - Pritchard - Rapsey - Wilson  /  Areas: Brecknockshire - Cheshire - Glamorgan - Radnorshire - Shropshire - Warwickshire

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 August 11 23:07 BST (UK) »
Hello Kevin  :)

Welcome to Rootschat! Thank you for reviving this old thread and providing info for Patmel.

Once you have made 3 posts, you will be able to use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data (e.g. family names, email addresses) with other Rootschatters.

See Help-Page: http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Kind Regards
Morgan

Offline ringpull

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 15 August 11 15:21 BST (UK) »
EVELEIGH in Pontneddfechan, two graves in the Ebenezer Chapel mention the Eveleigh familly - may be yours!

http://www.cefnpennar.com/pontneddfechan/

Regards
The OGRE

Offline patmel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 12 October 11 21:24 BST (UK) »
Thank you Kevin & ringpull yes they are part of the family buried at the Ebenezer Chapel
regards patmel