Author Topic: Londonderry Asylum  (Read 18122 times)

Offline cyclamen

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Londonderry Asylum
« on: Sunday 23 May 10 13:09 BST (UK) »
I have come across someone in a line I am researching who died in 1881 in the Asylum, Londonderry.  I have name, exact date of death and want to confirm where exactly she came from and when she entered the Asylum.

Does anyone know if records are likely to exist for this date and if so, would the records for this Asylum be held in what is currently Gransha Hospital or PRONI?
Moody, Patton, Hemphill, Haslett, Hopkins, Simpson, Fleming,Walker. Co Londonderry
Simpson, Moody Co Armagh
Walker Co Tyrone, Co Donegal and Dublin

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Londonderry Asylum
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 May 10 13:12 BST (UK) »
I suspect the records for that period will have been deposited in PRONI- you can check their e-catalogue online to be sure.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 May 10 13:25 BST (UK) »
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 May 10 13:53 BST (UK) »
THanks, Valda. National Archives does say what records PRONI should have but their e-catalogue might give a bit more detail.
I was at PRONI last week and they do seem to be a bit disorganised (perhaps because of forthcoming move?)- 1/3 of school registers I requested 'not found', waiting almost an hour for an order before I was called over to desk to say it'd been placed at wrong table (and that was even long before computer ordering system decided to move me- and several others- to another table), wrong documents in a bundle of papers (and requested item not found), getting some sort of 'not found'/'number doesn't exist when trying to order by an exact reference number... (and the canteen wasn't up to much either) but I will say that anyone I spoke to was very nice (and said the 'missing' items will probably re-appear at the new site).

Offline cyclamen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 23 May 10 15:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks to you both. The e- catalogue shows that PRONI have minute books covering the period I am interested in so will just have to see what those contain.

I have also had a look at the hospital database which does seem to show that PRONI has records re the asylum that are not listed on the e-catalogue. As far as I know the e-catalogue is not yet complete so the  catalogues at PRONI will be my next port of call.

I have had problems as well Aghadowey with items having gone missing. I am now keeping a record of the missing items. Some do seem to turn up eventually. Staff are generally excellent - one in particular is a real star!! I visit there quite regularly and he goes out of his way to help everyone.

Thanks again for your help.
Moody, Patton, Hemphill, Haslett, Hopkins, Simpson, Fleming,Walker. Co Londonderry
Simpson, Moody Co Armagh
Walker Co Tyrone, Co Donegal and Dublin

Offline daisy3

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 23 May 10 23:01 BST (UK) »
My Gr Grandfather James Campbell died in the Londonderry Asylum, can you tell me if this was also a general hospital, as the details on his death cert looked as if he'd had a heart attack. He died in 1890, aged 39. Also what kind of information would the records hold. I'm at the point of giving up on him.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 23 May 10 23:17 BST (UK) »
Formerly known as the Londonderry Lunatic Asylum, this was the county mental hospital.
There are different types of information in asylum records but these are the 2 most useful for family research-
Firstly, there are patient records (such as present day medical records) listing things like name, address, date of birth, medical history, illnesses while in the hospital, etc.
Next, admission & discharge registers- a register where patients were listed when the were admitted & then noted as discharged (or died).

From another thread:
Gransha, formerly Londonderry Lunatic Asylum, is the local mental hospital. They will have records of inmates but getting details depends on several things. If you wish to try to obtain any information from them you will have to put your request in writing (have gotten details from Downshire from 1950s by explaining I was interested in family medical details).
Some records (minute books, etc.) are deposited at PRONI, Belfast but patient records should still be at Gransha.

Offline daisy3

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 24 May 10 00:17 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the reply, i will certainly follow up on the information.

Regards Daisy

Offline jcass

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 28 May 10 15:13 BST (UK) »
Hello
Were exactly was this Londonderry Asylum please.

J