Author Topic: Gray Family in Tranent  (Read 3554 times)

Offline Bermudagirl

• RootsChat Member
  • Wimbledon 2007
    • View Profile
Gray Family in Tranent
« on: Tuesday 25 May 10 18:49 BST (UK) »
I am looking for any information about Elizabeth Scott Gray born in Tranent 21/03/1894. She had a brother James Edwards Gray born in 1891 also in Tranent. Her parents were Henry Gray and Mary Helen Scott.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Atkin (Cambridgeshire) Duke (Angus) Gray (Sprouston) Sturrock (Fife) Starforth (Co. Durham) Bewell (Canada)

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Gray Family in Tranent
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 May 10 00:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Bermudagirl,

What information are you hoping to find for Elizabeth? I notice you have an exact birth date so I assume you have her birth details from ScotlandsPeople.

Elizabeth died September 18th 1929 at the Royal Infirmary, Glasgow. She was not married and worked as a typist. Parents are as you give, and the death was registered by her uncle Thomas Mallen, who lived at 212 Gala Park Road, Galashiels.

This looks like Elizabeth with her aunt and uncle on the 1901 census:

Address: 36 Raeberry Street, Glasgow, Lanarkshire
Thomas Mallen, m, head, 40, shop man, b. Kelso, Roxburghshire
Janet Gray ", f, wife, 41, -, b. Kelso, Roxburghshire
Elizabeth Gray, f, niece, 7, scholar, b. Tranent, Haddingtonshire
Charles Wylie, m, boarder, 39, chef de couaive (?), b. Dundee, Forfarshire

hume :)

Offline Bermudagirl

• RootsChat Member
  • Wimbledon 2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 May 10 10:28 BST (UK) »
 :)Thanks so much for the information. Both their parents must have died by 1901 because James (my grandfather) was living in Edinburgh with other relations. I 've been hunting high and low for Elizabeth, but Gray is quite a common name, and I couldn't find a marriage for her - now I know why. Sometimes I think it takes a fresh pair of eyes to spot something!
What's quite interesting is she died of complications relating to diabetes, and my mum's half sister suffered from the same. I wonder if it ran in the family?
The name Thomas Mallen helps as well, as it tells me who Janet Gray (sister of my great grandfather) married!
Thanks again for the information!

Pat
Atkin (Cambridgeshire) Duke (Angus) Gray (Sprouston) Sturrock (Fife) Starforth (Co. Durham) Bewell (Canada)

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 May 10 16:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Pat,

There are deaths for Henry Gray in 1900 (aged 38) and Mary Helen Gray nee Scott in 1896 (aged 39), both in Sprouston, Roxburgshire.

Such a shame the parents died so young as did Elizabeth herself. :(

hume

Offline Bermudagirl

• RootsChat Member
  • Wimbledon 2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 26 May 10 16:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that. Now that I had tied them down to dying between 1891 and 1901, the next thing I was going to do was look for the records. Thanks again hume. I can't believe how quickly I have had results for all my queries since I posted them! Some I had been stuck on for ages,  but everyone has been such a help.
Oh dear. More sadness. On the same page as the death record for Mary there's a record of the death of a son (who I knew nothing about) called Thomas Mallen Gray aged 3 months. He died of meningitis a month after his mum... :(