Author Topic: Military Medal recipients  (Read 60097 times)

Offline eyman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Military Medal recipients
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 08 June 10 21:33 BST (UK) »
In reply to KA's original question which started this string:
 :)
here is the info that I have on S A Martin. I'm aiming to publish a small book on Essex R recipients of the MM

Burrows = the regimental history, Essex Units in the War, by J W Burrows

Ian

14719 Cpl Sydney Arthur Martin, 11th Bn
MM LG 18 June 1917 p6022
Sgt. Born Castle Hedingham, lived Little Yeldham, enlisted Colchester. Died of wounds 15 September 1917
MM perhaps for raid on the Lozenge, 24 March 1917: “I can see now Lance-Corporal Martin of, I think, C Company, looking over our parapet with a Lewis gun ready to stop them as if nothing would make him budge and taking no notice of the shelling” ( Burrows, volume 6, p319).
1914-15 Star trio.

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 09 June 10 11:18 BST (UK) »
Without wishing to get involved in taking sides so to speak what Redroger's original post tells us is that that was an opinion of the Military Medal held by certain soldiers who were there at the time and as such is a valuable source.  Whether we accept their view is another matter but we were not there and the fact remains that, rightly or wrongly, some soldiers held that view.  It is worth noting for the record. I speak as someone with an ancestor who won the MM.
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 09 June 10 12:37 BST (UK) »
Just to go back to KA's original posting, there may have been no acts of bravery involved.

My gf's cousin was awarded the MM in the New Year's Honours list of 1918. Very disappointing. The award did appear in the London Gazette.

Oops, wrong medal. The cousin was awarded the Military Cross.

Justin

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 09 June 10 15:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that input Imber.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Mark Abbott

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 11 June 10 10:28 BST (UK) »
Justin,

A gallantry award that apears in a "Birthday Gazette" originally had a recommendation; sadly most have not survived.

Mark
Avatar shows  3002 Clr Sgt Charles Brownie, Seaforth Highlanders and Royal Jersey Light Infantry.

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 11 June 10 13:19 BST (UK) »
Of the two recipients of gallantry medals in my tree and my wifes, I have only seen citations for the DCM.
My wife's grandfather received MM , DCM and Belgian Croix de guerre, and my own gt uncle the DCM. Both have citations for the DCM , there are none for the other two medals

Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline corisande

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • grantonline.com cairogang.com irishbrigade.eu
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 11 June 10 13:24 BST (UK) »
, I have only seen citations for the DCM.

Going back to the earlier points in this thread, there were 4,100 DCMs awarded and 115,600 MMs. so its is not surprising that citations were not given for MMs
Grant in Tipperary
Piper in Tipperary
Blong in Leix
Watson in Offaly
Pugh in North Wales
Evans in North Wales
Proctor in Edinburgh
Steedman in Stirling

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 11 June 10 18:24 BST (UK) »
I believe that some of the commendations for the Cambridgeshire Regiment recipients have been published.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Mark Abbott

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 12 June 10 07:50 BST (UK) »
 All awards originally had citations. Most have simply not survived.

For example, this is a citation for a Mention in Despatches:

Lieut. (Temp Major) Harry LEECH
1/8th Bttn. King’s Liverpool Regt.(T.F.)
Date of recommendation: 12/08/16
Award recommended: Mention in Despatches
"For coolness and gallantry under fire on the 2 August 1916, during a fairly heavy bombardment on the support trenches in front of TRONES WOOD he deliberately walked up and down the trenches to encourage the men.
Also on the day of the attack on GUILLEMONT by this battalion on the 8th August, 1916 he was of the greatest service to me, walking up and down the advanced and support trenches under fire most of the time and bringing in information as to the situation from stragglers of various regiments.”

This for a Military Medal:-

1893 Lance Corporal Frederick LUNDBERG
1/8th Bttn. King’s Liverpool Regt.(T.F.)
Date of recommendation: 24/08/16
Award recommended: Military Medal
"For gallantry and devotion to duty during the attack on GUILLEMONT but this Battalion on the 8th August 1916, when in charge of Signal Station in SUNKEN ROAD.  Although without cover and under considerable Artillery fire he kept communication open with Brigade and constantly repaired lines both forward to Battalion Headquaters and back to Brigade Headquaters under heavy artillery fire.”

Avatar shows  3002 Clr Sgt Charles Brownie, Seaforth Highlanders and Royal Jersey Light Infantry.