Author Topic: Military Medal recipients  (Read 60081 times)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: Military Medal recipients
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 15 June 10 17:26 BST (UK) »
Probably so, but the identification of M.C.Clayton is 100% positive for the following reasons. I have a reference he wrote for my father in 1919 and the hand writing is the same. Both the reference and the War diary bear the same signature. By the way, his handwriting was terrible, a poor advert for Wisbech Grammar School.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline sharonwesley1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 09 November 13 15:25 GMT (UK) »
Have you seen how many men fought in WW1 just from Britain alone
with number its not surprising there were so many awarded Gallentry Medals
awarded, it means all those men did something extra extra special,
it dismisses the heros they were to describe a Gallentry Medal as common

Offline cati

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm the one in the middle...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 09 November 13 15:45 GMT (UK) »
Please also bear in mind that a significant number of recipients of the Military Medal were members of the RAMC, who entered the field of battle unarmed to retrieve the wounded.

Bagot, Bate, Dominy,  Cox, Frost, Griffiths, Eccleston(e), Godrich, Griffiths, Hartland/Hartlin, Westwood, Spicer, Peake, Pass, Perry, Nuttle, Warrender

Catch the Blog at http://familytreeblogs.com/kate

Offline sharonwesley1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 11 November 13 15:22 GMT (UK) »
Well said

Offline SuperSinky1956

• RootsChat Extra
  • Researching family involved in the 1st World War
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 11 November 13 18:00 GMT (UK) »
I am new to this forum, and read with interest about the Military Medal comments made on this topic. My Granfather was awarded this medal, and I have tried numerous times to find out if there was a citation for it. I do remember him telling me what he did to be honoured with the medal, which is still cherished by all the family. My Grandad would get very upset when he told the tale, and always ended up with him in tears. I do have his medal, medal card index, and the mention in the "London Gazette". Can anybody kindly point me to a website where I might find out more about his citation? Most websites charge fee's for even a basic snippet of information, so I am wary of paying upfront for something which might not exist. My Grandad was in the Royal Northumberland Fusiliers; 11th Battalion, and was awarded the medal in 1916. Thanks in anticipation.

Offline cati

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm the one in the middle...
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 11 November 13 20:32 GMT (UK) »
Well said
Thank you.

I have found the suggestion in earlier posts that the MM was "sent up the line with the rations" highly offensive.

My great uncle was in fact a pacifist, but joined up in 1914, having told the recruiting officer that he did not wish to serve in a regiment where he would be expected to kill anyone. He was enlisted in the RAMC.

He won the MM in 1916 for entering no-man's land six times in one afternoon to bring the wounded to safety.  On an earlier occasion he had had the horses shot out from in front of him whilst driving a field ambulance over the Menin crossroads. 

He died in 1945, the cause of death being directly attributed to wounds and injuries he had received in the First World War, and was buried with full military honours.

To suggest that his MM was sent "up the line" is as offensive as suggesting that the Lancashire's "Six VCs before breakfast" was a token award.

Cati
Bagot, Bate, Dominy,  Cox, Frost, Griffiths, Eccleston(e), Godrich, Griffiths, Hartland/Hartlin, Westwood, Spicer, Peake, Pass, Perry, Nuttle, Warrender

Catch the Blog at http://familytreeblogs.com/kate

Offline SuperSinky1956

• RootsChat Extra
  • Researching family involved in the 1st World War
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 11 November 13 22:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cati; The story my Grandad told me was similar. He entered no-mans land under heavy gun fire, picked up his wounded C/O, and crawled back to the trenches with him on his back. IF I ever find the citation, it should in theory match my Grandads vivid account. Regards Alan

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 12 November 13 17:46 GMT (UK) »
Think citations do not always exist (or should that say survive)
A DSM will apparently always have one though
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline Stephen Nulty

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 13 November 13 10:59 GMT (UK) »
Here's the citation for the MM to my grandfather, Thomas Nulty

Researching the men of Prescot, Lancashire, who fell in the Great War

Please visit my website at www.prescot-rollofhonour.info