Author Topic: Military Medal recipients  (Read 60093 times)

Offline SuperSinky1956

• RootsChat Extra
  • Researching family involved in the 1st World War
    • View Profile
Re: Military Medal recipients
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 13 November 13 11:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stephen, did your family already have the citation, or did you research and find it on-line?? Cheers Alan  ???

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday 13 November 13 11:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi SuperSinky1956, Just to add a bit of input to your thread, I have been trying to research the MM awarded to my wife's Grandfather while he was serving with the Machine Gun Corps, I have been told by a person who is "Well Informed" On matters regarding the Battalion he served with in the MGC that no MM citations were put in the London Gazette although paper records of the citation were kept at Brigade (or Divisional) headquarters BUT once the men were home after the war most paperwork classed as non essential was destroyed.
If however the person who was responsible for putting entries into the war diary actually wrote the reason for an award being given then you could still find out.
I have found that his award was written in the war diary and is at the National Archives in Kew and am waiting for an estimate for a copy of the Date in Question.
What I am trying to say is that if you know or can find out if there is a war diary it could well be recorded in it.
Hope that all makes sense,
Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline Stephen Nulty

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday 13 November 13 13:08 GMT (UK) »
Alan

I came across the citation, and also that for his the Bar to his MM, held within private papers at Liverpool Museum.

The first thing to note is (as Frank says), MM citations were not published in the LG.

There is occasionally reference to them in the War Diary (my grandfather's weren't), but in my 15 years of research I have always found that the best place to find the reason for an MM award is the local newspaper, as family would often go along and provide details. This would then be published, often with a picture of the recipient.

Here is an example of a War Diary entry, which reads "Notification was received that Sgts Gulliver & Flanders(?) had been awarded the Military Medal." This is 11th Bn, King's (Liverpool) Regiment and is dated 3rd September 1916

No details of what for or when !!

Researching the men of Prescot, Lancashire, who fell in the Great War

Please visit my website at www.prescot-rollofhonour.info

Offline SuperSinky1956

• RootsChat Extra
  • Researching family involved in the 1st World War
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday 13 November 13 13:19 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your input Frank and Stephen, its much appreciated. Looks more likely that I need to visit Kew to see what I can find out. From Northumberland I can't do it in a day, so more expense I suppose. A friend of mine went to Kew last month to find more info about an Uncle of his that died in the Great War, and he didn't find out much at all. He spent 3 days in the capital and also visited other archives without sucess. In the meantime I can research local newspapers, and have a look through the Royal Northumberland Fusiliers archives at Alnwick Castle. Regards Alan

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday 13 November 13 13:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi, it must be really great when you find citations etc, I only found out about my wife's Grandfather when we started family history and the MM Award just came out of the blue, it had never been mentioned by my wife's late Father as he was only a child when his Father died and even family members we did not know existed on her Grandfathers line new nothing what so ever about it, it came as a shock to everyone, no trace has ever been seen of the medal which is such a shame, I do know however via his service records that he declined the chance to have it awarded to him publicly and had it sent to him instead, Like so many others he probably thought of all the poor souls who did not return home.
Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline Stephen Nulty

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday 13 November 13 13:51 GMT (UK) »
Here are another few extracts from the same War Diary.

11/10/1916
As above. No casualties. A/Cpl No 12003 Roberts awarded Military Medal

30/05/1917
“A” Coy relieved “C” Coy. “B” Coy relieved “D” Coy. “A” Coy worked on CT in WANCOURT-GUEMAPPE area. “B” Coy carried trench boards. “C” Coy worked on TILLOY-WANCOURT road. “D” Coy rested. No casualties. (No 12205 Sgt F MUNNS & No 12374 Pte L McGUIGAN awarded Military Medal)

09/06/1917
All companies worked on new CT from ALBATROSS forward. WANCOURT area. No casualties. No 12390 Sgt F ANDERSON, 12872 Sgt F L NEWALL, 12876 T NUTTALL, 12461 Pte L BROWN 21241 Pte T BANCROFT awarded Military Medal. 6 OR’s reinforcements

Researching the men of Prescot, Lancashire, who fell in the Great War

Please visit my website at www.prescot-rollofhonour.info

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday 13 November 13 13:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi, it looks likely that 41Batt MGC diary will be of the same format  ::) could well be out of luck then, oh well, onwards and upwards as they say. ;)
Frank.

Offline cati

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm the one in the middle...
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday 13 November 13 14:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi, it looks likely that 41Batt MGC diary will be of the same format  ::) could well be out of luck then, oh well, onwards and upwards as they say. ;)
Frank.

However, once you have the date, the Battalion Diary/Regimental History might give you some idea of what was going on that day.

I'll repeat what's already been said about local newpapers: a local lad being awarded the MM was newsworthy.

Also: a lot of local archives and local/family history groups are undertaking a lot of research into WW1 at the moment in preparation for the centenary. It may be worthwhile you making enquiries.

Cati
Bagot, Bate, Dominy,  Cox, Frost, Griffiths, Eccleston(e), Godrich, Griffiths, Hartland/Hartlin, Westwood, Spicer, Peake, Pass, Perry, Nuttle, Warrender

Catch the Blog at http://familytreeblogs.com/kate

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Wednesday 13 November 13 15:42 GMT (UK) »
Frank.

I'll repeat what's already been said about local newpapers: a local lad being awarded the MM was newsworthy.

Cati

On it as I type,
Regards,
Frank. ;)