Author Topic: Princess St Westminster 1829  (Read 5955 times)

Offline Anne W

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Princess St Westminster 1829
« Reply #9 on: Friday 28 May 10 13:12 BST (UK) »
 Sorry for being vague! I've found a death for Robert Richmond Rose in 1829 in Westminster at Records Search Pilot at Family Search. This is very exciting as I've been chasing him for years and to find a place and date of death for him is a big breakthrough. I've come across this William Rose who I think could be my Robert Richmond Rose's brother. William was 76 when he died on 10th October 1854. The address given is Princess Street and the Parish is Marylebone.
  My Robert Richmond Rose married and his children were born in St Helier, Jersey and his widow and daughter were still there in the 1841 census. As to why he would die in Westminster, I can only think of some sort of family connection.
  Thank you for all your trouble.

Anne

Offline Meliora

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 28 May 10 16:22 BST (UK) »
Info found on William Rose

Death
Dec ¼ 1854  Marylebone  1a  357
Burial
22nd Oct St Mary Marylebone.

Do you have the death cert for William Rose ? Otherwise how do you know he was living at Princess St Marylebone ?  Have you tried tracking William back thro' the census years. ?

re. Robert Richmond Rose.   Have you tried to find his birth/baptism to ascertain where he was born ?   You say he was married & had his children in Jersey, Channel Islands, what documentation do you have on this. ?    Unless you can establish his parentage & that of William Rose, it will be difficult to say they were realated.

There is one William Rose who fits the age, i.e. circa 1778, his burial record at St Marylebone shows him to be 78 yrs old, livingin Haggerston W. Shorestich, a wid  occ. Stationer, born Lamborn Berks.
HO107/1537  folio 472  page 6.

Have you any record of Robert Rich. Rose's children,i.e. did they marry & perhaps move to Westminster. ?

any info on the above would help.

Just found
Richard Richmond Rose
buried at St James Westminster 4th May 1829  age 55 so born circa 1774

Meliora
RIP 1927-2018

This information is Crown Copyright from National Archives.gov.uk

Online Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 01 June 10 14:18 BST (UK) »
Hi,

The William and Frances ROSE found by Meliora in 1851 seem to be living in Princess St. in 1841,

1841  HO107/678/6  f.20  p.34  St Marylebone
//
William ROSE    60    Gardener       S
Frances   "      54                    N
/
Ann DRAKE      65    Ind            N  350   ? 
/
Sarah LINN      55    Ind            Y
/
John BRADLEY  60    Ind            N
// 

Not sure if this helps with your Robert though?

Regards,
Daisy
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Barry12

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 27 August 16 09:29 BST (UK) »
I too was looking for the location of the same street (the way it's written in the 1841 census it looks like Princess's, as it's written with the 'long s' representing double-s, followed by another s), ...and funnily enough I was looking for Sarah Ann Linn in St Marylebone in 1841, and found that Sarah Linn adjacent to William Rose, gardener & wife Frances in St Marylebone St John.

However, alongside 'Princess's Street" that 1841 census area included Kelso Place, Samford Street, Orens Street, and Lisson Grove . This "Topographical Survey Of The Borough Of St. Marylebone 1834" shows that area; on that map it's shown as 'Princes Street' (as there is no Princess's street apparent in the immediate neighbourhood): http://mapco.net/stmaryle/stmaryle10b.htm

Browsing those "Princess's Street" pages in the 1841 census I spotted another Rose (related perhaps?), namely on page 23 of that 1841 census Mary Rose, 62, in the household of Ann Brunt, laundress.
rgds, Barry

Offline ncgallagher

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 15 March 23 09:05 GMT (UK) »
I’m very late to this chat but I can tell you that Princess Street in Marylebone is now called Boscobel Street. My mother was born there in 1926. Earlier, a large portion of the street was sacrificed to build the goods yard for Marylebone railway station, the terminus of the Great Central Railway which opened in 1899 or thereabouts.