Author Topic: 1861 - Queen Inn/Hotel - High St, Lincoln  (Read 30549 times)

Offline sallyduk

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1861 - Queen Inn/Hotel - High St, Lincoln
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 29 May 10 18:09 BST (UK) »
Tom & Geoff

Thanks very much for that info - it all helps me in trying to find more about Edith Edwards (William Edwards (Snr) Granddaughter.   

If I have added her to the correct family, it seems she was adopted by John & Ann Fletcher and I'm trying to find out the reason why as she seems to come from a family of about 17 children!

Regards
Sally
COLE - Cambridgeshire - Haddenham, Wilburton
CROW - Cambridgeshire - Haddenham, Wilburton   
FLETCHER - Nottinghamshire - Clarborough, Lincolnshire - Bourne, Bedfordshire - Biggleswade, Yorkshire - Sheffield
LAWRENCE - Yorkshire - Sheffield, Pontefract
MORRIS - Cambridgeshire - Haddenham, Wilburton   
NEWBORN - Yorkshire - Doncaster, Lincolnshire - Haxey
PATE - Cambridgeshire - Haddenham, Wilburton
TUPHOLME - Lincolnshire

Offline bilston

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 18 August 10 18:03 BST (UK) »
My mother and father ran the Queen Hotel High St Lincoln in the 60s and I lived there through until I got married.  I can tell you the Queens really rocked in the 60s and I had absolute ball there.

The bar never closed to till way passed midnight, we had foam and soda syphon parties most weekends it really was a great place to spend ones teenage years in the 60s.  All the big stars stopped there could tell you a few stories of all sorts carrying ons.

Linet your 21st would have been upstairs in the Dinning Room, lovely room with own Bar.  I probably danced with you ! I gate crashed all the parties.

Allan your under ostler relation would have worked right through the back where the old stables were in the car park, later converted to garages.

Geof your football match was being relayed by me (illegally) from the American Forces Network and then pumped around the hotel via tannoy system

Sally thank you for the great picture.  Brought back the memories.

I think it is still standing, its massive at the back I was in room 13 (no else would go in it) I had a pair of stockings as the light pull, bet they are still hanging there.

Would love to go round the old place any news greatly appreciated.

Some one mentioned the church, the cellar was absolutely massive, stretching down the length of the carpark and many passages going off.  One which was collapsed was rumored to go the the Church across the way.  Also big secret this a roman well is located in the car park not far from the back door, it was filled in as was the some of the cellar.

Bill

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 19 August 10 08:20 BST (UK) »
Geof your football match was being relayed by me (illegally) from the American Forces Network and then pumped around the hotel via tannoy system

Hello Bill, welcome to RootsChat :)

It was boxing and it was on BBC Radio 2 ;)
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline linnet27

• RootsChat Senior
  • G Grandfather Edmund
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 25 August 10 21:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Bill

Yes, I remember it being a large room upstairs. It was a great night!   I think my parents went to the Queen quite a lot during the 50s and 60s so would probably have known your parents.  What was their surname?  Mum is still alive, I will ask her if she remembers.

Lynne
Mosedale- Notts/Staffs
Wright- Alkborough & Barnoldby le Beck, Lincs
Thorpe - Elkesley, Notts
Lane - Harby, Notts
Ingledew - N. Yorkshire
Beacock - Bonby, Lincs
Johnson - Halesworth, Suffolk & Essex

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 26 August 10 12:32 BST (UK) »
Most of the adult ages in the 1841 census are rounded uo to an even 0 or 5 so someone who was 46 will appear as 50 etc.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 26 August 10 12:40 BST (UK) »
Most of the adult ages in the 1841 census are rounded uo to an even 0 or 5 so someone who was 46 will appear as 50 etc.

Ages in the 1841 census were usually rounded down in accordance with the instructions to enumerators
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~somtcen/1841instructions.html
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 26 August 10 12:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks for correction Geoff.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline churchlane2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 11 January 11 17:57 GMT (UK) »
My Grandfather (Alfred Sawyers) and his twin sister were born at the Queen Hotel in 1898.  His father (also Alfred) ran the hotel with his wife Eliza.  I remember my grandmother telling me stories of the maids leaving a downstair window unlatched so my grandfather could sneak back in late at night.  She talked about the huge roasts they cooked on a Sunday and of the 'funny old man' who had the shop opposite ........one James Usher!  I have a silver teapot from The Queen dated if I remember correctly about 1880's.

Of course I wish I had asked more!  I also frequented the Queen in the early seventies.

We had relatives visiting from Canada about 16 years ago when it was a pizza restaurant we got to look round upstairs but sad to say if was very neglected.

Offline Alan7636

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Following in my ancestor’s footsteps
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 11 January 11 19:46 GMT (UK) »
of the 'funny old man' who had the shop opposite ........one James Usher!  I have a silver teapot from The Queen dated if I remember correctly about 1880's.

I think you will find that the funny old man was in Fact James Ward Usher who owned a Jewellery business at 190 High Street and who in 1927 bequeathed his art collection to the City and who the famous Usher Gallery is now named after.

Alan
Hogan (Lambeth, Southwark, Ireland)
Maddigan (Lambeth, Southwark, Ireland)
Masters (Lewisham, St Pancras, Clerkenwell)
Knowles (Salford, Manchester)
Farrow (Staffordshire, Manchester)
Atkinson (Lincolnshire)
Ball (Lincolnshire, Rutland)
Hicks (Lincolnshire)
Wheatley (Lincolnshire)
Pearson (Lancashire, Cheshire, Pawtucket USA)
Wilson (Yorkshire)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk