Author Topic: Brick Walls in Rugeley - John Harvey  (Read 7750 times)

Online ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I will find them eventually!
    • View Profile
Brick Walls in Rugeley - John Harvey
« on: Thursday 27 May 10 19:00 BST (UK) »
Desperately seeking the parents and siblings of this man!

I have found John Harvey in all the census from 1841 to 1881 and he consistently states that he was born in 1808/9 in Rugeley except in 1881 when he says he was born in Handsacre.  He is married to Mary with children Jane born 1858, Hannah born 1852, Amelia born 1851, Frances (Fanny) born 1846. James born 1843, Ann born 1842, Elizabeth born 1838 and Mary born 1836.  There was also another son Isaac born 1856 but I am not sure where he was in 1861 or 1871.  Mary, Elizabeth, Fanny, Hannah, Isaac, Jane and Amelia were baptised at St Augustine's, Rugeley per CD of transcripts produced by Burntwood FHS.  James and Ann were baptised at Penkridge per IGI.

I am fairly confident that John and Mary Harvey are the couple shown as John Harvey and Mary Lakin who married at St Augustine's on 21 February 1831.  Both of this parish.  After banns.  Neither sign.  Witnesses James Lakin, Mary Lakin and  Thomas Lenton who appears to witness most marriages.

Using only the IGI I had thought that John Harvey was the son of John Harvey and Elizabeth baptised 25 December 1809 in Rugeley but the transcribed records show both the baptism and a burial for John son of John and Elizabeth Harvey on 11 October 1810.

There is another John Harvey baptised 30 April 1812 at St Augustine's son of George and Jane Harvey but other researchers have concluded that he married Maria Deaville, a conclusion that is supported by an entry on England & Wales Marriages, 1538-1940  which shows John Harvey, son of George Harvey marrying Maria Deaville daughter of William Deaville.  

There is yet another John Harvey son of William and Elizabeth Harvey, blacksmith of Rugeley baptised 21 February 1813.  I am not sure whether this is the same William and Elizabeth Harvey who baptised Isaac in 1809, Elizabeth in 1803, Joseph in 1801, William in 1795, Sarah in 1793, Mary 1790, James 1788, another John in 1785 for whom I am unable to find a burial and who appears to still be alive in 1841 and 1851, and George 1783.  John's baptism in 1813 is the only one which gives the father's occupation, it seems unlikely that they would name two surviving sons John and the timespan of 30 years is rather long so this may be two different couples.  

John baptised 1785 is probably the father of John 1809-1810 and George 1783 is probably the father of John 1812.

I have not been able to find any other clues any ideas or information that might help would be very gratefull received.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Tagg, Bowyer (Berkshire/Surrey), Adams, Small, Pratt, Coles, Stevens, Cox (Bucks), Grocott, Slater, Dean, Hill (Staffs/Shropshire), Holloway, Flint, Warrington,Turnbull (London), Montague, Barrett (Herts), Hayward (Kent), Gallon, Knight, Ede, Tribe, Bunn, Northeast, Nicholds (Sussex) Penduck, Pinnell, Yeeles (Gloucs), Johns (Monmouth and Devon), Head (Bath), Tedbury, Bowyer (Somerset), Chapman, Barrett (Herts/Essex)

Offline linell

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Brick Walls in Rugeley - John Harvey
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 May 10 20:05 BST (UK) »
Hi ggrocott, I live very near Rugeley.  Handsacre runs into Rugeley, there is a Handsacre Road that runs from one to the other.  I also have Harvey's and Devalls in my tree, as does Madison on this board, she has done more research into the Harvey's than I have so can probably help you there.  I have Sarah Harvey born 1789, Parents Henry Harvey and Catherine Howell, siblings to Sarah were Ann 1783 and Mary 1793.  Sarah Married Michael Nixon.  I am connected to the Harvey's through the Rugeley Devall/Deavall family.

I have found through my research that the IGI oftan has deaths recorded which their members seem to stick to anyone of the same name, I would ignore that death entry if I was you.  Will read through your message again and see what else you were looking for.  Linell.
Black Country Stringer, Sidaway, Mansell, Haynes, Westwood, Yardley, Reading, Worton, Willetts.

Offline linell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 May 10 20:13 BST (UK) »
<Using only the IGI I had thought that John Harvey was the son of John Harvey and Elizabeth baptised 25 December 1809 in Rugeley but the transcribed records show both the baptism and a burial for John son of John and Elizabeth Harvey on 11 October 1810>

I'll check the Parish Register at the Archives for the death of John Harvey 11.10.1810, if you don't get any further with it.Linell.

Black Country Stringer, Sidaway, Mansell, Haynes, Westwood, Yardley, Reading, Worton, Willetts.

Online ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 May 10 21:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks Linell.

I note that on Ancestry someone has Sarah Harvey born 1793 daughter of William and Elizabeth Harvey as married to  Michael Nixon.

I am wondering if 'my' John Harvey could be the John Harvey son of James and Margaret Harvey baptised 8 July 1810 Mavesyn Ridware, sibling James in 1811 at Mavesyn Ridware and possibly Isaac 1817, George 1820 and Elizabeth 1822 at Armitage that appears on the IGI.

Tagg, Bowyer (Berkshire/Surrey), Adams, Small, Pratt, Coles, Stevens, Cox (Bucks), Grocott, Slater, Dean, Hill (Staffs/Shropshire), Holloway, Flint, Warrington,Turnbull (London), Montague, Barrett (Herts), Hayward (Kent), Gallon, Knight, Ede, Tribe, Bunn, Northeast, Nicholds (Sussex) Penduck, Pinnell, Yeeles (Gloucs), Johns (Monmouth and Devon), Head (Bath), Tedbury, Bowyer (Somerset), Chapman, Barrett (Herts/Essex)

Offline linell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 29 May 10 08:27 BST (UK) »
Hi ggrocott, is this your John and Mary Harvey in 1851:-

Marlpits Rugeley
John 48 Brick Makers Lab
Mary Wife 38
Elizabeth DA 14
Ann DA 10
James Son 7
Frances DA 4
Amelia DA 5 months
All born Rugeley.

I couldn't find them in 1841?  Was John Married before to a Sarah?  Do you have the 1841 entry?  Linell.

Online ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 31 May 10 12:00 BST (UK) »
Yes, I think that is them in 1851.  In 1841 I think he is a brickmaker at Boxmoor, Penkridege, Staff with wife Mary and daughters Mary, Elizabeth and Ann which would tie in with the baptisms of Ann and James in Penkridge in 1841 and 1843.

As far as I know John Harvey only married once.

Gill

Offline linell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 31 May 10 18:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Gill, thanks have found him now, as you say he is in Boscomoor Penkridge in 1841, which is on the Wolverhampton Road.  The family are then in Mossley Rugeley, which today is on the map as Attlee Crescent, it is down on the Trent and Mersey Canal which runs through the area, and just off the Armitage Road which ran into Armitage and Handsacre, so it is perfectly feesable that John was born in Handsacre.  On one of the Census's Mary says she was born Penkridge that is probably why they lived over there for a few years where Ann and James were born.  I have booked into Stafford Archives on thursday this coming week, will get back to you from Linell.

Offline AHG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 31 May 10 22:09 BST (UK) »
I don't think that my people are on this line but I am also from Devalls, hatmakers and some tailors from Rugeley which I think it quite a large clan, and Harveys, miners and ag workers, from Longdon near Rugely.

Offline linell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 01 June 10 07:52 BST (UK) »
Hi AHG, welcome to the clan, yes Longdon is also part of Rugeley, no it well, lovely place.  I did find these details about the Rugeley Hatters from a document at the Archives last time I went there:-

Samuel Sleigh died 8.1.1796 came from London to Cottage in Brereton Road (Rugeley) and founded the Hatting Industry and Congregational Church.  Wife Catherine died 18.3.1820.
I believe that this Samuel Sleigh must have apprenticed our Devalls and Nixons and Harveys who became Hatters

Linell.