Author Topic: 58th Regiment of Foot  (Read 26751 times)

Offline akissling

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 58th Regiment of Foot
« Reply #63 on: Friday 28 April 23 00:13 BST (UK) »
Jeremiah's wife did travel with him and is even listed in the surgeon's report because she fell during the voyage. It seems like many of them came as a family (I believe there was a lottery). By the way, Jeremiah's wife was Margaret McKinnon (maiden name) but you can see it was spelled McKenna. They were married in Edinburgh where they meet in 1841 and his occupation was laborer but he was a soldier. She lived in the same building where he was housed during his time guarding Edinburgh Castle. I would think if she was born at sea and you know the ship they came out on it would be in the surgeon's report. Mine came out to NSW on the Orator in 1843.
Carey, McCabe, McKinnon, Barr, Curr, Templeton

Offline scrimnet

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • No plan ever survives first contact...
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Friday 28 April 23 18:14 BST (UK) »
The Northamptonshire Regt Regimental Histories have a large section on the 2nd bn, the 58th.

Also there is a very good book on the bn in New Zealand

History of the 58th Regiment (the Rutlandshire Regiment of Foot) which Served in New Zealand Between 1845 and 1858
By Russell Gurney · 1935

Sadly its one of the x3 Regimental Histories that I dont have ( i have about 40 others!)
One more charge and then be dumb,
            When the forts of Folly fall,
        May the victors when they come
            Find my body near the wall.

Offline Redy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Friday 28 April 23 21:09 BST (UK) »
Hello again thanks for your interest in my questions - I am not sure how to find which ships my ancestor who was in the 58th would have sailed on - from what I've seen as he was only a private, it seems those at that rank aren't always listed by name. I have found all of his pension records on Ancestry from the National Archives UK but if you know of a source for looking into which ships he might have been on that would be great. Many thanks again.

Offline scrimnet

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • No plan ever survives first contact...
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Saturday 29 April 23 13:02 BST (UK) »
Hello again thanks for your interest in my questions - I am not sure how to find which ships my ancestor who was in the 58th would have sailed on - from what I've seen as he was only a private, it seems those at that rank aren't always listed by name. I have found all of his pension records on Ancestry from the National Archives UK but if you know of a source for looking into which ships he might have been on that would be great. Many thanks again.

the above book lists the ships and even in a worse case scenario you will narrow it down to one or two....The book is ONLY  for between 45 and 58...
One more charge and then be dumb,
            When the forts of Folly fall,
        May the victors when they come
            Find my body near the wall.

Offline akissling

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Saturday 29 April 23 14:22 BST (UK) »
Here is a sample section of the book scrimnet noted including my ancestor. If you are in New Zealand or Australia this is probably a reference book and you can call and have them check the name of your ancestor and send a scan of the page. Most libraries offer this for free. They can also copy the page with all of the abbreviations for the ship names so you can pinpoint the full name of the ship.
Carey, McCabe, McKinnon, Barr, Curr, Templeton

Offline Redy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Saturday 29 April 23 22:58 BST (UK) »
I'll try to source that book