Author Topic: Father of Elizabeth Rebecca Bryan - Completed with thanks  (Read 7685 times)

Offline dfss

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Father of Elizabeth Rebecca Bryan - Completed with thanks
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 01 October 11 10:43 BST (UK) »
Register No. 3400
Dear Sir
I herewith send answers to the questions as far as I could get them. hoping they will be right. we have looked through a little box that the girl has and found the medical Certificate of Successful Vaccination and sent it hoping you wil receive them all safe.
Praying that the Lord may grant a blessing and that the girl may grow up a good woman.
Questions
1---- Labourer (presumably the occupation of Elizabeth's father and/or uncle)
2----only a little furniture (presumably what Elizabeth had inherited from her parents)
3----Furniture ( probably the possessions ascribed to Elizabeth at the time of er admission to the Orphanage)
4----The Parish took the Furniture (What happened to the above; implying that Elizabeth was officially destitute)
5----Had 1/- and 4lbs of Bread per week from the Grantham Parish (what Elizabeth had been living on)
6----Living with her Uncles and Aunts at different places. She now lives with her uncle and aunt Lloyd at Hartshorn she came to them in June 1865.
7----There follows a list of Elizabeth's living relatives, the Uncles and Aunts already mentioned in the admission process but with the addition of Elizabeth Bryan, the orphan Elizabeth's grandmother who is evidently residing with he Lloyds at Hartshorn. This lady would be my Great Great Great grandmother Elizabeth Bryan (nee Spencer) born, according to IGI at Swannington Leicestershire in 1794.
8----In good health see Dr. Crofts Certificate sent with these papers.
      Certificates
      No. 1,2,3,4 all sent to Bristol before
      No. 5 certificate Certificate from Ashbydelazouch Union 1/- and 4lb of Bread.
   Accompanying this letter were a certificate of vaccination, presumably against smallpox, that Elizabeth had had at the age of 3 months in September 1857 whilst her parents were still alive and living at Vere Street in Little Gonerby near Grantham. There is also a brief printed pro-forma from the Surgery at Church Gresley near to Hartshorn dated September 29th 1868 certifying that Elizabeth had been examined by the surgeon William Carrick Crofts and pronounced "in good health". It is addressed to the Orphan House Bristol.
Movingly, also accompanying this letter of Thomas Kendrick is a handwritten statement from the Relieving Officer of Asby de la Zouch Union (ie the Workhouse) as follows :

Offline dfss

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 01 October 11 10:45 BST (UK) »
"1st day of Oct. 1868
Sirs,
This is to certify that Elizabeth Rebecca Bryan is receiving Parish Relief to the amounts of 1/- and 4lbs of Bread per week, which sum is repaid by the Grantham Union..
I am sir, yours obrdiently, M. Willsher (?) Relieving Officer.
  Thomas Kendrick finishes his own covering letter in the following way :
Dear Sir, Thank you for the 29 report you have sent me.
Adieu
I remain Dear Sir yours respectfully
Thomas T. Hendrick
Hartshorn Derbyshire
near Burton on Trent, Staffordshire.
To Mr. G. Muller
Bristol

A further letter from Thomas Kendrick was sent to the Orphanage dated October 26th 1868
Dear Sir
I am very sorry that that(sic) I have not been able to send this reply before now. I hope you will find it right.
John Lloyd and Harriot his wife has signed the the(sic) paper the other two are so far off I could not get them.
hoping you will receive them safe I remain dear sir
yours respectfully
Thos. Hendrick

Accompanying this letter is the following printed pro-forma dated October 1868 :
We, the undersigned, do hereby bind ouselves, that, in case of any unforseen circumstances whatever, the Orphan Elizabeth Rebecca Bryan should need to be dismissed from the New Orphan Houses in Ashley Down, Bristol, we will receive her.
There follows a list of Elizabeth's uncles and aunts already mentioned. Their signiatures are witnessed by Thomas Hendrick, Richard Holmes, W. Hewitt and Harriet Lloyd. (This latter may have signed the declaration in the wrong place !). There is an identical declaration on the part of Thos. Davenport clerk to the Guardians of Ashby de la Zouch Union witnessed by a B. Husband.

Offline dfss

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 01 October 11 10:46 BST (UK) »
Three other short letters are to be found relating to Elizabeth's admission to the Bristol Orphanage. All written by Thomas Kendrick : The first is dated October 1868 :

Dear Sir
I hope the inclosd document will be sufficient as we do not know of any more relations belonging Elizabeth Rebecca Bryan, praying that the Lord may so overrule the case that the poor girl may be taken under Mr. Muller's care.

The second is dated December 24th 1868 :

Dear Sir
I received your kind letter informing me of your kind reception of Elizth. Rebecca Bryan and I will endeavour to have her there according to your order if the Lord will prosper my endeavour. I thank you for your kindness".

The third is dated December 29th 1868 :

Dear Sir
I amited(sic) in my last letter to you to inform you that Elizth. Rebecca Bryan has not had any thing matter with her and se(sic) appears very well now. Adieu"

Offline dfss

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 01 October 11 10:47 BST (UK) »
LIFE IN THE ORPHANAGE
The following account of life at the Bristol Orphanage is taken from the book " The Bristol Orphan Houses" by W. Elfe Taylor published in 1860 and updated to 1870. It therefore describes the kind of daily routine that Elizabeth would have known :
"....the children all rise about six o'clock in the morning. They retire to rest-the elder children about eight or nine, the younger an hour earlier. The teachers conduct religious worship every day, at half past eight in the morning, and just before tea in the afternoon. They have two holidays in the year-at Whitsuntide and Christmas. But the orphans never leave the house on these occasions except....in company with their teachers. The beautiful way in which the girls decorate their rooms at these holidays with their own work-festoons of artificial flowers etc-is one of many significant indications of the healthful, free and cheerful spirit pervading the entire establishment.....we beheld about one hundred and twenty girls, sitting at work at low desks-all clothed alike in blue print frocks and neat pinafores, and with heir hair cut short behind,but arranged with the greatest neatness. On a signal from the principal teacher....the girls all stood up and placed their hands behind them..and all marched out in single file......As they passed....in front of the visitors....I looked carefully at the features of each child,and, although in some cases I thought I saw evident traces of disease, inherited doubtless from the parents whom they had lost (from the statistics in Mr. Muller's possession, it is said that upwards of two-thirds of the parents have died of consumption), still there was a general appearence of health and of cheerfulness in their happy faces. Then we were taken to the girls' Cloak and Shoe Room where we found a vast number of serviceable plaid cloaks....for winter wear. Each girl too, has three pairs of shoes- a mark of sound economy on Mr. Muller's part, as every paterfamilias knows.....The girls...make their own garments under the superintendance of a teacher who does the cutting out for them. Then comes the play rooms....only intended for use in bad weather....for there is a court (with) swings and other apparatus for exercise and play. The girls' play room was provided with large cupboards, divided into small pigeon holes, one for each child, well stored with dolls, dolls' houses, and a variety of other toys, the gifts sometimes of relatives (who are allowed to visit the Orphans once a month), sometimes of ladies, who present them to the teachers to be used as rewards.....There is...a bed room for girls, in which 140 female orphans sleep-two girls each occupying one bed...(a) visitor of the opposite sex-who's face was an index to he benevolence which filled his heart- observed, as he gazed at the bedclothes folded down with the utmost nicety and precision-"Ah they would never have slept in such beds if their parents had lived !"....At the end of the room there is a small window, opening into a bedroom occupied by one of the teachers, who is thus enabled to overlook the movements of the children.....Besides these there is a smaller dormitory with eight beds in it for the elder girls- usually called "house-girls", as they are engaged in house work, and are on the point of being sent out to service. Each of these has the privilege of a good strong box to hold her clothes in. These girls daily assist the servants in the general work of the House.....The girls' wardrobe...(had)....painted deal presses subdivided into innumerable little pigeon-holes. The girls have five changes of dress. Three blue print frocks for ordinary wear in the house, a lilac pattern dress for Sundays during the summer months, and a brown merino dress for winter wear. The girls make and mend all their own clothes. Six girls in rotation take charge of all the female wardrobes of the House. The Dining-Room where the orphans take their meals is..... filled with long narrow tables and forms....we noticed some opf the elder girls spreading the snow-white tablecloths for the evening meal. Others at the same time entered the room with trays loaded wit bread-and-butter. Soon afterwards, some hundreds of cups full with milk and water wrere placed upon the tables....The food of the orphans at breakfast is always oatmeal porridge; they use milk with it. No doubt this wholesome food is one cause of the healthy ruddy appearence of the orphans generally; for notwithstanding a strong prejudice against it in this country, a more wholesome, nutritious article of diet does not exist. The dinner

Offline dfss

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 01 October 11 10:48 BST (UK) »
provided for the children varies almost very day. Monday there is boiled beef; Tuesday, soup, with a good proportion of milk in it; Wednesday, rice-milk with treacle, Thursday, they have boiled leg of mutton; the following day they have soup again, and on Saturday bacon; On Sundays they always dine on rice with treacle in order that as few as possible may be kept from attending public worship. The Orphans breakfast at eight o'clock, dine at one and take tea at six.....Then there are the washing places. They are furnished with baths; and all around the walls ere hung bags containing the brush and comb belonging to each child, and the number of the said child painted over each (The child's number referred to here is the number of the child's bed). The greatest care seemed to be taken to insure thorough cleanliness in the children, and to guard against the spread of infectious complaints, should they at any time exist.....the Girls are instructed in reading, writing, arithmetic, English grammar, geography, English history, a little of general history, and in all kinds of useful needlework and household work...there is evidently a more earnest desire to educate and discipline he mind, and to draw out the kindly affections, than to cram the head with a large variety of knowledge, which may be, to say the least, of very questionable utility to children in their sphere of life....one noblem(a)n observed that the writing from dictation of some of the children exceeded those which he had lately inspected at one of our large National Institutions. As regards the religious teaching imparted to these destitute children, it may be well to state, that the most diligent efforts are made to render them familiar with their Bible. The great doctrines of religion, in which all Evangelical Christians agree, are carefully taught them, without, so far as we can learn, the slightest sectarian bias.......As regards the Orphan girls, Mr. Muller gives us the following particulars :- "Our am" says he, "is to keep them till they shall have been sufficiently qualified for a situation....We uniformly prefer fitting the girls for service, instead of apprenticing them to a business, as being generally better for their body and soul.....if the girls give us satisfaction while under our care, so that we can recommend them to a situation, they are fitted out for the place, at the expense of the Establishment. The girls enerally remain under our care until they are seventeen or eighteen years old".....as a general rule the number of applications made to Mr. Muller...for the girls as servants..is so much above the supply as to afford a full opportunity for advantageous selection.

Elizabeth stayed in the Orphanage at Bristol or perhaps in an associated house in nearby Chipping Sodbury until she reached the age of 17. She was "dismissed" on the 19th February 1874 with he following official record :
"2179 Elizabeth Rebecca Bryan, admitted under No. 2403 on the 5th June (error, should read January) 1869, born on the 29th June 1857 at Grantham,was sent, 19th February, 1874, as Housemaid, to Mrs. Parsons, Melbourne House, Blackheath, London. A believer."
  This was standard practice. At present I know nothing else about Elizabeth's time in service but, six years later, by 1880 she is back in the Hartshorn area preparing for marriage to my GGrandfather Charles Stubbs. One imagines that perhaps Elizabeth might have got to know Charles while paying a presumably rare visit to her Aunt and Uncle Lloyd. There may have been some acquaintence between the Lloyd/Bryan and Stubbs families in that Mary Hill, my GGGrandmother and wife of my GGGrandfather John Stubbs (to become Elizabeth's mother-in-law) had been Christened at Hartshorn (and presumably born there) in 1827. Further, John Stubbs nephew, Joseph Clulow, son of his sister Susan, and therefore Charles' cousin was living a few doors from the Lloyds cottage in Hartshorn by 1881. It is in this social millieu that courtship may well have taken place.

Offline dfss

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 01 October 11 10:51 BST (UK) »
I hope that the above might be of interest.....I would be grateful to know your thoughts. Lottee, whos name you have noticed in this thread has also been researching the Stubbs line on behalf of another of ERBs descendents and she is a mine of information ! One other ecendent had undertaken research from New Zealand but I never manage to establish contact.

I have much more on the Stubbsies, so let me know if I can provide more information.

Best wishes,
dfss

Offline lotteex

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 04 October 11 16:46 BST (UK) »
Hi dfss nice to hear from you again.  It is interesting to see ERB again and be made aware of another of her descendants. Linda as you are now aware, I have been doing family history for a friend and is how I came across Elizabeth. It was both fascinating and sad to read about her life and one could only come to admire how she survived such a harsh start in life.  Dfss and I have helped one another over time and he has given you a great deal of info. If I can help please let me know
I shall pass on the info to my friend as I'm sure she will be ineterested
Regards
Lottee
Mason - Yorkshire
Manger -Tynemouth/Hull
Turner - Cottingham
Franklin - Cottingham
Lawrence - London
Bailey - Northumberland
Butler - Hampshire/Channel Isles
Harms - Hampshire/London/India/Northumberland
Timson - Ware, Hertfordshire
Wild & Nield - Lancashire
Row(e) - Buckinghamshire
Manders - Buckinghamshire
Wilkins - Herts
Lamberts - Herts
Crowe -Northern Ireland

Offline dfss

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 05 October 11 08:18 BST (UK) »
HELLO lottee,

Amazing how ERB brings people together !

A real matriarch still; as I suspect she must have been during her lifetime !

All best,
dfss

Offline cava

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 12 November 11 23:43 GMT (UK) »
Hello dffs,
Elizabeth Rebecca Bryan was my Great Grandmother.
I note with interest that you too had received a package of information from Dr Mueller's orphanage.
You must also have Josepf Spencer BRYAN's death certificate to know about "general paralysis.
I'm interested in comparing information if you so wish.

Cheers

cava