Author Topic: Alexander SCOTT  (Read 12217 times)

Offline Bermudagirl

• RootsChat Member
  • Wimbledon 2007
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander SCOTT
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 01 June 10 19:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that, but I don't think that's my Alexander... I have him born about 1825/1826 in Kelso or Linton. On the 1861 census he is listed as being 30. He married his 2nd wife in 1864 and his age is listed as 35 (which more or less ties in with the 1861 census). However confusingly, the 1851 census has him being 26, and on the 1841 census he is listed as being 15 (which is what I roughly calculated his date of birth from....
Anyway, it looks like my Alexander was still alive in the 1870s when he had a son David Fleming Scott (although I haven't been able to find him yet on the 1881 census, and of course I don't have a birth or death record for him.)I do know he was dead by 1889 when my great grandparents got married)Why are some people so illusive...?
Not too sure about his parents. I have the marriage at Eckford 21/10/1815, and then I found at least 5 siblings for Alexander (I think...) James, John, Jane, William and Elisabeth! As you say, this is so confusing!

Pat
Atkin (Cambridgeshire) Duke (Angus) Gray (Sprouston) Sturrock (Fife) Starforth (Co. Durham) Bewell (Canada)

Offline Old Maid

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 20 August 10 00:42 BST (UK) »
Hello! I am trying to track down my great great grandfather Alexander Scott, but with no success.
 I have him on the 1851 census as a groom at Brechin Castle. His soon to be wife is also there as a kitchen maid (Elizabeth Duke born 1/4/1825 Edzell). Well actually they had to marry... but that's another story. According to the census Alexander was born in Linton, Roxburgh about 1825. However on the 1861 census (by which time his wife had died) he is living in Edinburgh with the 4 children and a servant. He is described as a coachman domestic servant(?) and born in Kelso, Roxburghshire.
I do have an Alexander Scott born in Linton on the 1841 census, but he is a joiners apprentice, and it looks like he is no longer living at home, which means I don't have his parents. I have him in the 1871 census with a new wife Helen Aitken and his place of birth is again given as Linton, but I can't find him after that. But more importantly, I am trying to trace his parents, and find a birth record for him. Can anyone help?
it would be much appreciated!

My great grandmother was Agnes Scott daughter of Alexander Scott and Elizabeth Duke. She married William Murray in Edinburgh in 1895.  Thanks to you I only have Jane Scott the eldest child of Alexander and Elizabeth to find.  Do you know what happened to her?   I have David Fleming Scott married to a Mary ? with two children on the 1901 census. Both children born in England.  He was  golf club maker.

Offline Bermudagirl

• RootsChat Member
  • Wimbledon 2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 20 August 10 10:39 BST (UK) »
It's lovely to hear from a relation (even if a distant one!). Am just back from holiday so am not really in "family tree mode" at the moment, so will have to get out the records and refresh my memory about that side of the family!Do you have any info about Alexander Scott? He's very illusive!!! Will check my records about Jane Scott and get back to you. We must keep in touch. Would you be happy to exchange email addresses?

Pat
Atkin (Cambridgeshire) Duke (Angus) Gray (Sprouston) Sturrock (Fife) Starforth (Co. Durham) Bewell (Canada)

Offline Old Maid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 21 August 10 03:52 BST (UK) »
Like you I was not able to find a birth record for Alexander.  He died on 10 April 1878 at 129 Roxburgh St Kelso aged 52 years. His parents were James Scott and Mary Fleming.  The death informant for Alexander was his brother James Scott. His two wives are listed as Elizabeth Duke and Helen Fleming which we know is an error as his #2 wife was Helen Aitken. His mother,  Mary Fleming died 15 January 1862 in Roxburgh daughter of William Fleming and Jeannie Robson.  As yet I've not found a death entry for James Scott.  It's a bit like looking for a needle in a haystack.  Far too many James Scotts in that part of Scotland.

I found a Jane Scott born Brechin aged 29 on the 1881 census. She was a servant cook at Lathallun House Kilconquhar Fife.  I wonder if that's our Jane ?

I have some information on the Dukes from Edzell. I would be happy to exchange email addresses.  Is this allowed on this site?  I have lived in New Zealand for the last 44 years but I was born in Greenock.

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 21 August 10 10:37 BST (UK) »
Hi & welcome to rootschat! Now that you've sent 3 posts you can send people private messages (p.m.'s). To do this, click on the green scroll on the left hand side of the post. This is to prevent scammers.
Regards,
flst   
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline alan14578

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 21 August 10 13:40 BST (UK) »
In kelso rosebank cemetery there is a James died Kelso 1887 aged 66 with a wife Mary Cleghorn and children James Janet and William and a daughter  Mary Fleming Scott wife of a William Currie. I thought the Fleming might be relevant. and add to the confusion.
turnbull- Scottish Borders ,Caithness and East Lothian
waddell-roxburghshire
foord/ford -perthshire and borders
crosbie-scot borders
galloway-scot borders

Offline Bermudagirl

• RootsChat Member
  • Wimbledon 2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 21 August 10 14:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much - will file that away to investigate asap!

Offline Old Maid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 22 August 10 04:51 BST (UK) »
The James Scott who married Mary Cleghorn was the brother of Alexander Scott.  So thank you for that information.  Looks like their daughter Mary married a Currie.  I will look it up on Scotlandspeople.

I have a question for all you experts out there.  One of my ancestors who died in 1869 made a Will in which he left a small amount of money to his grandchild Jean Ramsay.  I have no idea who she is.  I suspect that she is the illegitimate daughter of one of his children.  I'm trying to get a grip on how old Jean would be at the time the Will was made.  Does the fact that the money was NOT left in trust for her until she reached a certain age, relevant, or under Scottish law, could a child inherit money

Offline alan14578

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 22 August 10 16:02 BST (UK) »
Sorry I cant help re her inheritance. However also in Kelso there is a headstone erected to her Uncle W.Ramsay who died 10=5=1932 and his wife Agnes T. Scott, .It gives no indication who she was!
turnbull- Scottish Borders ,Caithness and East Lothian
waddell-roxburghshire
foord/ford -perthshire and borders
crosbie-scot borders
galloway-scot borders