Author Topic: Albert STOKES - Sutton Coldfield  (Read 8760 times)

Offline sphilip

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Albert STOKES - Sutton Coldfield
« on: Saturday 29 May 10 13:31 BST (UK) »
Hi, I've left this far too late for far too long. I'm trying to research anything about

Albert Thomas Armstrong Stokes

b. August 8th 1917 or 1918, I believe in Sutton Coldfield, but the family was also based around the Birmingham & Aston area.
d. April 2nd 1993, Darlington, Co. Durham.

I believe Albert's father or grandfather was a furrier in the Sutton Coldfield or Aston area, and Albert had several brothers, one of whom was called George. The family name was at sometime double baralled as 'Armstrong-Stokes', but whether that was dropped before Albert's birth registration or not I don't know.

Albert's early life appears to have been fairly well to-do. He may have gone to a private school, (is there a way of checking school records?), he was bought a car for his 17th birthday, and took flying lessons. There is some talk of his being involved with Aston Villa football club in his youth, but my inquiry with Aston Villa draw a blank.

When WWII broke out, Albert enlisted in the RAF at age 19 or so and served as a Flight Sergeant until being injured out sometime in 1942 or earlier. I believe he flew Wellington bombers and crashed twice, one in France and one in Northumberland. The second crash ended his military service. He has the Atlantic Star, Defence Medal and War Medal (there is one more but I've forgotten it). However, I am having trouble finding out/remembering the exact squadron number he belonged to, and the only other information I have about this period of his life was that the captain of his crew was an Irishmen, possibly called Patrick Kelly, and that this man and Albert were the only two servicemen in the squadron that enlisted in 1939 who survived the war. Shortly after de-mob, Kelly (if that was his name) was apparently killed in a traffic accident.

After the war, Albert's biography is unknown, until sometime in the mid 50s he met and married Margaret Mary Officer from Hartlepool. Much of the rest of his history after that time I know, but anything about either the family (Albert's brother's names, and father and mother's names) or anything else up to the mid-50s would be brilliant.

A long shot, I know, but thanks in advance.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Albert STOKES - Sutton Coldfield
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 29 May 10 13:41 BST (UK) »
to begin with -this looks like his birth and death reg's

Birth reg
Albert T A Stokes
Sept qtr 1918
mother's maiden name : Stuffins
Aston
Warwickshire
6d 893

death reg

Albert Thomas A Stokes
born 9 Aug 1918
death reg April 1993
age 74
Darlington
Durham
B46E
4361B

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 29 May 10 13:46 BST (UK) »
Apologies -I omitted welcoming you to RootsChat

so a big hello

You would find Albert's parents from his birth cert

However

there is a marriage reg
Albert E Stokes
Mabel M Stuffins

Jun qtr 1918
Aston
Warwicks
6d 878

which looks likely

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 29 May 10 13:48 BST (UK) »
If you go onto FreeBMD and in Births put Stokes -mother's maiden name Stuffins -then you should get the birth reg's of other children - (they may still be living and it is RootsChat policy to not post details of the (maybe) living

I have found 3 brothers -none called george

Suz

Offline sphilip

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 29 May 10 14:00 BST (UK) »
Wow - that's amazing. I've been trying to find this out in varies ways through internet searches on and off for years and you did it in minutes!

Thanks so much for your help and the tips. It's a great start.  :) :)

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 29 May 10 14:15 BST (UK) »
I think this is the death reg of Mabel M Stokes

Mabel may Stokes
born 25 may 1897
death reg Mar 1980
Birmingham
32 0170

although I think the informant was a year out with her birth

Possible birth reg
Mabel May Stuffins
Sept qtr 1896
Carlisle
Cumberland
10b 513

it seems mabel's family moved around quite a lot

Her father (henry) b leicestershire
her siblings born Notts,Yorks, Gloucester, and Aston Warwicks

maybe this is the death reg of Albert (although there are more than one death reg

Albert E Stokes
Dec  qtr 1967
age 78
Birmingham
9c 765

you may wish to purchase a few "key" certificates to confirm information

Birth certs give Mother's maiden name

Marriage certs very helpful -give father's name and occupation -sometimes witnesses are relatives too.

Suz

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 29 May 10 14:15 BST (UK) »
why did you think there was a brother george??

Suz

Offline sphilip

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 29 May 10 14:21 BST (UK) »
Personal recollection - there is an interesting family intrigue around Albert & George, but following your advice about the (maybe) living, I shouldn't post about it.

The good news is I did find a George W as well as three other brothers listed on FreeBMD for Stokes/Stuffins, so it seems to confirm that.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 29 May 10 14:24 BST (UK) »
Brilliant - I missed that one

It may be worth purchasing the marriage cert of Albert E and Mabel M -as if the death reg for Albert is the one I posted he may have been married previously - as I said there are a lot of Albert E Stokes deaths in Warwicks - and it doesn't mean he was born Warwicks

You can purchase online -it would be a good investment

Suz