Author Topic: Daze Surname  (Read 5096 times)

Offline leanora

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Daze Surname
« on: Saturday 29 May 10 14:29 BST (UK) »
I am looking for anyone else who has heard of this surname .

it was the surname of a Martha Daze an great aunt who lived in Edinburgh

my mother was given daze as a middle name she was Marth Daze Kelly . Later Married and became a Jones

but all  search I have done so far draw a blank to this unusual surname
Thomas Kelly   Peterheadknown as Tom son know as tommy
James Kelly Bellshill
Williaminia Kell nee Barclay peterhead/ Leeds ?
Martha Daze Edinburgh
Jessie Cussie Peterhead
Isabella Barclay  Lonmay? possible know as Isobella Cassie at some time as well
William Barclay Banffsh
John Carson 1821  Cambusland aged 60
Elisabeth wife daughter Also Elisabeth who married James Kelly and had 6 children
sarah kelly 13
thomas kelly 11
John kelly  10
Richard Kelly  6  Martha Kelly 1 became M Daze

Offline daysarnold

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Daze Surname
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 August 10 12:17 BST (UK) »
HI my great great grandad was ernest daze although the name has changed to days on my side,ernest daze had 2 sons henry my grandad and john ernest daze who did keep the surname ernest and louisa married in glsgow in 1883 but originated from england,I am not 100 percent but martha kelly did come up in one of my searches and I am not sure if she married john ernest
gordon

Offline leanora

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 August 10 15:55 BST (UK) »
Martha Daze  Kelly was my mother  name  she was called  after my great aunt Martha who married a Daze. I have yet to find out her husbands name

Great aunt  Martha was born in 1888 and lived until she was 108 and died as far as I know in Edinbury.

not sure if this is of any help to you ?

1891 census shows the family has enlarged considerably.  By then they are living at 89 Flemington Row, Cambuslang

James Kelly     age 34
Elizabeth Kelly age 33
Sarah Kelly    age 13
Thomas Kelly    age 11
John Kelly    age 10
Richard Kelly    age 6
Martha Kelly    age 3
Joseph Kelly    age
James Kelly Bellshill
Martha Daze Edinburgh
Jessie Cussie Peterhead
William Barclay Banffsh
Elisabeth wife daughter Also Elisabeth who married James Kelly and had 6 children
sarah kelly 13
thomas kelly 11
John kelly  10

Offline daysarnold

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 August 10 17:33 BST (UK) »
Hi this may seem strange but the name daze could have been her mothers maiden name,I have found that my dads brothers and sister were edith guest days 1913 & henry guest days 1914  there grandmother was louisa guest before she married ernest, now my father was just joseph days 1919 now father was born in oct 1919 but his father died march 1919 never knowing his dad that is why I think he was only named days

Offline leanora

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 August 10 18:38 BST (UK) »
I also know her parents were
 The below are parts from my other posts

John Carson just may have been Elizabeth's father  ?

You may be right SP has an 1876  marriage in Bothwell of James Kelly and Elizabeth Carson. 

ELIZABETH CARSON  Birth: 25 SEP 1858  Old Monkland, Lanark
Parents: JOHN CARSON and ELIZABETH O'HEAR

so no  there is no other Daze  so far . so I  am sort of sure she married a Daze?
I am so mad with myself I met her once when I was about 13ish with my mother sister , but as it was a case with  them children were to be seen and not heard , so having to spend 3-4 hours sat in a corner on a hard chair while they chatted  was not my idea of fun and the following year  when visiting Glasgow  I pretended to be ill so I didn't have to join my aunt on her visit to my great aunt :(.

To find out she  still alive only 30 years ago and non of  our generation knew was a double blow :(
James Kelly Bellshill
Martha Daze Edinburgh
Jessie Cussie Peterhead
William Barclay Banffsh
sarah kelly 13
thomas kelly 11
John kelly  10

Offline daysarnold

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 August 10 20:06 BST (UK) »
Hi whats bugging me as Ive come across this martha before give me chance to have a look,I know what you nean I was scared to death of my father as a child and now would love to sit and talk to him,my father was born in chryston glasgow and married a catherine kidd to whom he had 3 children anne john and william,sadley loooking at records william died at ten weeks old in 1948,my father then moved to yorkshire thats where my side comes into it trevor born 1952 myself gordon 1954 and lyn 1957 notice Ive got the scotish name and proud of it,I sadly lost my wife with cancer after 24 years in 2001 but now have a new partner and living in stockport
,we have big friends in craigmiller edingburgh who we often visit,anyway will keep looking
regards gordon

Offline leanora

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 August 10 21:11 BST (UK) »
Well it appear we have more in common  I was born in 1954 in Chester but alas the only child.

Good luck with your search and if you come across Martha Daze again in any of your research please keep me up dated. Thanks

The only other Daze I have found are on  Face Book but  non English speaker's.

I would love to find out where the name originated from .

My Mother also died of cancer 7 years ago after 1st having cancer  when I was just a toddler 50+ years before it killed her. She fought it again several times having a kidney removed and breast cancer x2 but it finally  expanded in to her lung.
She was a  truly  courages Scots women and fought it for over 50 always had a positive attitude and  to busy helping others to let cancer get in the way :) and lived a full life untill she was 77

Kind regards

Laura
James Kelly Bellshill
Martha Daze Edinburgh
Jessie Cussie Peterhead
William Barclay Banffsh
sarah kelly 13
thomas kelly 11
John kelly  10

Offline daysarnold

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 11 August 10 21:22 BST (UK) »
no probs laura daze does originate from france and there are alot in canada I found a long lost relative there from john ernests family,I will keep looking and if I find anything will let you know,are you still living in chester
gordon

Offline leanora

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 11 August 10 21:41 BST (UK) »
No i moved to S wales Pembrokeshire over 25 years ago via a few years in St Helens and Northampton.
Interesting to find the name originates in France thanks for that :)

Also spent 2 years in Australia , My grandfather Thomas Kelly  was moving there before my mother  was born but  my grandmother refused to go at the last minute . This was something I believe my grandfather always wished he had done as I remember all his talk as a small child about if we had of gone to live in Australia  you would .... etc

I know he had one brother there who worked on building the railway and Died there possible  while working.

but thanks to rootcast and it great  crew I found out he had other brothers and sisters.
 I have the faint impression that  he had other sibling who went to Australia to live  but have no idea how to even start  tracing them as I am not sure which did immigrate  never mind where in Australia they settled or which ship there  went out on :(

I have distant memory's of a picture of a large family in Australia but can't find out if any one in the family  still has it and believe they were relation possible cousins and siblings of my grandfather.

I did manage to take a trip out to S Africa some years ago and visited a lot of the battle sites my grand father was at as a young man in the  Bore War
James Kelly Bellshill
Martha Daze Edinburgh
Jessie Cussie Peterhead
William Barclay Banffsh
sarah kelly 13
thomas kelly 11
John kelly  10