Author Topic: Children's Home, Church Village, Pontypridd  (Read 10954 times)

Offline tooleyjack

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Children's Home, Church Village, Pontypridd
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 01 June 10 22:14 BST (UK) »
HiRomilly, you have been such a big help. I think the problem with mums birth certificate is we thought it said 1935 BUT, it could be a badly written 6 and this would explain why it was registered in march 1937. We had thought they hadn't registered it for over a year. This is why we could not find it on the listing!
I am afraid we don't have any other details for her mother Catherine Williams except she did marry Frank Davies according to mums Birth certificate as it says mothers name Catherine Davies formally Williams.
Mum (Jean ) had one sister Elizabeth who I have traced today who had two sons but unfortunately, Elizabeth her husband and both sons have now died. There is a daughter but I can't trace her.
There is another sister but no idea of age and a brother who was about 5 years younger but have no name. All these brothers and sisters are rumoured to have had different fathers.
The Marriage certificate looks a good bet and i will send for a copy.
With great Thanks, Steve.

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 02 June 10 10:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve,

If you are able to locate the records held by the Children's Home on your mother, they will hopefully also have some information on her siblings; which will help you to work forwards as it were :)

Ordering Frank and Catherine's Marriage Cert will help you to work backwards, - as it will help you to locate them on the Censuses.

It might all look like an uphill struggle at the moment, but I'm sure that you will be able to make some headway...(When I first started looking, I knew next to nothing about my father's family, - he died when I was five. With lots of help from on here I managed to find lots of info on him and his five brothers, & to track down three living cousins, who hadn't known that my sisters and I existed).

Good Luck!
All Best Wishes, Romilly :)
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline heddwch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 07 June 10 16:32 BST (UK) »
Hello Steve,
I live in the same village  where the Childrens Home in CHurch Village was, it is now a new school.
I was also adopted from the Cenral Homes in Pontypridd which was connected to the childrens home.
I was fortunate enough to find my  natural birth sister after 40 years of searching,
The local family council helped me to trace her at Pontypridd.She lives  in LOndon
If there is anyway I can help it will be a pleasure to do so.
Don`t give up
Heddwch
Maeer - Devon and Glamorgan
David - Cardiff Pontypridd
Astley -Merthyr Tydfil
Newland- Hampshire
Jones -Treherbert Rhondda
McCarthy - Cork & Cardiff
Pellow  -  Cornwall

Offline tooleyjack

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 07 June 10 19:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Heddwch, I have had a roller-coaster week spending a lot of time talking to relatives in Wales that I did not know i had. These all come from one side of the family, My Great grans second marriage. I need to find the relatives from my Great grans first marriage (he died in the war) which is my mums side. There are two sisters and a brother who were all in the home and all except one sister, fostered to The Mitchels but I can't find any of them and only know they were in the home together. How do I get hold of The local family council you spoke about.
It is so nice to hear from people such as yourself who have had success.
Many thanks, Steve.

Offline mikey957uk

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 06 February 13 15:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi there I was wondering if anyone can me out - my grandmother was adopted from the children's home in church village, Pontypridd in 1944.  All she currently knows is her mums name was Sylvia Jones and she lived in Park Street, Bridgend.  My grandmothers name was originally Patricia Jones before she was adopted.  She's trying to trace her biological family and I don't have the first clue what to do - help!!

Offline heddwch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 07 March 13 14:48 GMT (UK) »
Hello there
have sent you a message via your personal message but your inbox is full. |Do let me know if you recieve it Thanks.
Heddwch
Astley -Merthyr Tydfil
Newland- Hampshire
Pellow  -  Cornwall

Offline Sam Swift

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 22 March 13 17:06 GMT (UK) »
I would also contact the Glamorgan Archives, since they have Creed records for the Children's' homes there and can tell you when they were admitted and discharged. This may be all you can get though since there's probably a closure period on this type of record, unless they can look it up for you. Depending on the reason why they were placed there, it may be worth looking to see if there was a report in the local paper and if there was a court case relating to it, but you'd need a rough date for this. They do have court records for cases that went to court for the removal of children, but they are in shorthand and can be accessed from the Glamorgan Record Office. They may all now be at their new site, but they were previously stored at a different site from their old HQ and had to be requested well in advance.

Offline heddwch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 07 June 17 22:47 BST (UK) »
The childrens home at Church Village was known as the Cottage Homes.
If you require any information please contact the Glamorgan Archives at Leckworth in Cardiff/
I have researched my own records there.
You need to contact them and send a birth and death certificate of the person you are researching.
Best wishes
Heddwch
Astley -Merthyr Tydfil
Newland- Hampshire
Pellow  -  Cornwall