Author Topic: Angus Macarthur, Lewis  (Read 6565 times)

Offline Cileag

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Angus Macarthur, Lewis
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 06 June 10 14:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you again, SL  It is so generous of you to take time to check this out.
Best wishes,
Cileag

Offline scottish lassy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 23 June 10 17:01 BST (UK) »
I'm afraid my flights have not worked out so the next time I'll be at the records office will be the end of August.  I'm sooooo disappointed as I had a load of things to look up!!

SL

Offline Cileag

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 24 June 10 00:30 BST (UK) »
Sorry to hear your plans have been disrupted, SL.
 As far as I am concerned the delay is not important. I am currently restricted in the length of time I can spend on the computer as I have an RSI problem. As a result, I have had to put my research on hold for the moment - VERY frustrating!!

Offline goldstone1963

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 15 June 11 14:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Cileag,
    These appear to be the only Donald Mc/MacArthur Mary Mc/MacLeod marriages in Lochs around the time frame you are after. It would seem that the first one is more likely to be your family.

29/01/1844 MACARTHUR DONALD MARY MACLEOD/ M LOCHS /ROSS AND CROMARTY 087/ 0010 0152
From the certificate this is all the information given
Donald    MacArthur   residing  at   Carloway
Mary     MacLeod     residing at   Borroston.

24/01/1853 MCARTHUR DONALD MARY MCLEOD/ M LOCHS /ROSS AND CROMARTY 087/ 0010 0167

I have a lot of ancestors from around that area and it is not unusual to find some children registered and not others.

Regards
mariac

Hi Cileag,the above couple married on 29th Jan 1844 are my great, great grandparents and my great grandfather was Alexander Macarthur,presumably the brother of Angus Macarthur.It appears we may be related then!
You haven't posted for about a year but you never know you may see this posting....would be good to hear from you!

Offline shanghaipanda

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 15 June 11 20:10 BST (UK) »
If you haven't already come across Bill Lawson then his site might give you some help in your continuing search of the Lochs area.  He is a mine of information about Lewis/Harris etc.

http://www.billlawson.com/genealogy.htm

Offline goldstone1963

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 16 June 11 13:25 BST (UK) »
If you haven't already come across Bill Lawson then his site might give you some help in your continuing search of the Lochs area.  He is a mine of information about Lewis/Harris etc.

http://www.billlawson.com/genealogy.htm

Thaks a lot.I will certainly give it a go!

Offline Cileag

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 17 June 11 12:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks to everyone who posted replies to my post. I am extremely grateful for all the information and for the links.

I am sorry that, due to illness, I have had to discontinue my research for the past year. However, I am hopeful that I will be able to resume in the not to distant future.

Mariac, I am so thrilled to have discovered a new cousin - what a coincidence!! I haven't been able to work out what the exact relationship is but I have a chart somewhere  showing me how to work it out which I intend to put to good use.  Since my last posting I have received a bundle of information, old letters etc. from a cousin in S.Africa but, apart from reading the letters, I have not yet sorted out the rest of the information. When I do,if anything relates to your line, I will let you know.

Please, everyone, keep me in the loop as regards any future information and thanks again.
Cileag