Author Topic: Tracing the Price family of Burwash  (Read 2154 times)

Offline jibba

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Nothing is true, everything is permitted
    • View Profile
Tracing the Price family of Burwash
« on: Monday 31 May 10 20:49 BST (UK) »
Hi all

I'm trying to find out more about my 6th great-grandparents, James & Margaretta Price, who appear to have spent most of their lives in Burwash, Sussex. Here's what I know so far:

1) James Price, buried 3 Jan 1810 at Burwash aged 68. It lists him as being the son of a James and Sarah, md (No idea what md stands for)

2) Margaretta Price, buried 31 Jul 1823 at Burwash aged 82. She is listed as Margaret Curtis Price.

According the parish register, they had the following children - Samuel Curtis (1774), Thomas  (1776), and John Farley (1780). There is also a burial for a James Price, son of James and Margaretta in 1793, but no baptism for him.

I searched the SFHG data archive, IGI etc... to see if I could come up with any leads, but there was nothing. Then by accident, whilst looking for someone else's relatives, I saw in a transcript for Holy Cross in Canterbury, J.Price and M.Curtis 1 Nov 1768. Was this them?

I followed this up on Ancestry.co.uk, and found in the extracted marriage licence records:

Jas Price of Hollingbourne yeo wid & Mgt Curtis of Holy Cross Cant sp (26), at H C. 27 Oct 1768.

It looks like I have found their marriage entry, given that the age of both Margarets are the same. I then looked at some transcripts for Hollingbourne, which did not include the burial register, so I was unable to check if James' previous wife was buried there. However it turns out that no Prices were baptised there. There was though a baptism for a James Price, son of James and Margaret, in 1769 at nearby Bearsted, so again I'm assuming that this is their elderest son.

The problem being, where can I go from here? There is now more questions than answers!

1) Who were James and Sarah, and what does the md stand for in the register?
2) Who were Margaretta's family?
3) Who was James juniors first wife?
4) Why did they leave Kent for Burwash?

If anyone can help out, that would be really great. I'll probably copy this to the Kent board in case anyone there has come across these families

Thanks in advance

Lee

Offline Plummiegirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me, Dad, Granddad & G/gran
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing the Price family of Burwash
« Reply #1 on: Monday 31 May 10 20:53 BST (UK) »
I think you might find that many years ago Burwash was in Kent rather like Hastings.

The boundaries changed a lot over the years.   Burwash was at one time one of the stopovers for the pilgrims to Canterbury.
Fleming (Bristol) Fowler/Brain (Battersea/Bristol)    Simpson (Fulham/Clapham)  Harrison (W.London, Fulham, Clapham)  Earl & Butler  (Dublin,New Ross: Ireland)  Humphrey (All over mainly London) Hill (Reigate, Bletchingly, Redhill: Surrey)
Sell (Herts/Essex/W. London)

Offline swebby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 31 May 10 21:32 BST (UK) »
Hi,

In the East Sussex Land Tax 1785 there is a Mr James Price, Officer of Excise.

Edit
Looks like they were posted to different counties so could explain why he moved.

Regards
Sean
Webb (Sussex), Barham (Sussex, Norfolk/Suffolk), Day (Somerset), Rowett(Somerset, Cornwall), White (Leighlinbridge), Deane (Roscommon), Quinn (Roscommon)

Offline jibba

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Nothing is true, everything is permitted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 31 May 10 22:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the speedy reply. So James was a taxman? As you said that could be why he moved.

Btw, is the East Sussex Land Tax of 1785 online anywhere? Most of my mother side was in E.Sussex around that time, so it could be a useful resource

Thanks
Lee

Offline swebby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 31 May 10 22:58 BST (UK) »
I am afraid you can only purchase the Land Tax records as a book. You may be able to find a copy on Ebay or even Amazon.
Webb (Sussex), Barham (Sussex, Norfolk/Suffolk), Day (Somerset), Rowett(Somerset, Cornwall), White (Leighlinbridge), Deane (Roscommon), Quinn (Roscommon)

Offline omega 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 01 June 10 09:07 BST (UK) »
Hi

You may find this site helpful/interesting 

sussex record society-home page.

It has people who payed Window Tax in 1747.

Burwash is on there.

Omega
Pembrokeshire
James,Gibby,David/Davies,Evan/s,Edward,Thomas,Griffith,Brown,Richards,Phillipps
Carmarthenshire
Thomas,Wilkin,James
Glamorganshire
James
Husbands side
Sussex,Mitchell,White,Hew/Hugh,Peter/s,Lower,Goring,Skinner,Cavey,Padgham,Brann,Graves,Hards,Easton,Moon,Gibb/s,Shepherd
Kent,Curties,Harris/Cleverly
Buckinhamshire
Shephard,Tuck,Philips

Scotland,Riddle

Todd,could be Old Windsor or somewhere I Lincolnshire,John Todd didn't seem to know

Offline swebby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 01 June 10 10:47 BST (UK) »
Thought John Farley seemed familiar, realised I have him in my tree. He married Nancy Eastwood on 27 Feb 1803 in Burwash and they had a son also called John Farley Price baptised 11 May 1803 in Burwash. He married Harriet Leaney on 7 May 1833 in Burwash. It is the Leaneys who are in my line although I am on the wrong OS at the moment to load up Legacy and say exactly how.

Sean