Author Topic: Liverpudlian nonsense prose  (Read 23442 times)

Offline IrishOrigins

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Liverpudlian nonsense prose
« Reply #27 on: Friday 06 August 10 01:20 BST (UK) »
That's it, Lizzie, and it's not as hard as it seems.

I found the trick is to say it out loud rather than just trying to read it - makes more sense faster that way.

From my grandmother down, when I was a kid the adults were very adept at this and there's no way we could keep up with them. 

My husband wasn't a good "speaker" though, so our kids didn't get  the same "benefit" from it as we did.  As a result it's virtually vanished from our family (unfortunately).

Philippa
Byrnes, Wexford.
O'Brien, Hannigan, Waterford & Tipperary

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 06 August 10 08:47 BST (UK) »
You have got it ladies, try it out and you will become fluent----mind you when you will need it I can`t imagine!

Mention "smacked legs" today and you`d land up in court probably. It was one of my big guns I saved `til last and  consequently never had to use.I think the kids concentrating on the translation calmed them down somewhat, they were nudgers who always said one of the others had started it
but when I think how quiet they did sit during services etc they really were well behaved .
Considering that many children nowadays spend so much time sitting at their pastimes and amusements it amazes me they can`t sit still   anywhere else.I suppose that`s the answer--- they don`t let off steam naturally.                                                                                                             We had a "Play Day" in our local park this week where children could maul about on bales of straw which were like a castle. Three wheeler cycles roaring round the tennis courts, lots of "old fashioned " activities and not a computer in sight. It was thoroughly enjoyed.Organised by the Council and Park Rangers and a group " Friends of the Park" it was so children could experience NATURAL PLAY------.You know we were lucky --all our play was natural wasn`t it.
Osay eeriochay orfay ownay. Iktoriavay.

Offline IrishOrigins

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 06 August 10 09:23 BST (UK) »
What a lovely experience for the Kids, Viktoria - so many these days don't even know what outside is any more, let alone that it's somewhere to play.  I think for quite a large percentage it's only there as an avenue between organised activities or else home to the electronic entertainment.

It seems too that some schools are even getting rid of play grounds "in case someone gets hurt" or rather in case some stupid parent sues.   >:(

Such a sad thing to contemplate.

Eventually it will all turn around (I hope) and kids will get back to being kids and doing kid things.

And as far a backslang (or Pig Latin) is concerned - I tried it out on the other half this morning and you should have seen the eyes glaze - he had absolutely no idea of what I said.

Ho hum.   

Back to "normal" communication channels.

Philippa

Byrnes, Wexford.
O'Brien, Hannigan, Waterford & Tipperary

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 06 August 10 10:31 BST (UK) »
Just another bit of nonsense I remember:

It was Christmas Day in the workhouse
The snow was raining fast
A barefooted man with clogs on
Came slowly whizzing past.....

Memory fails me as to how it went on, but perhaps someone else is familiar with it.

Gillg :)

p.s.  I know there is a rather bawdy version of this which I will spare you  :o, also a very long dramatic poem by George Sims which probably started it all...
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline LoneyBones

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wot, me worry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 06 August 10 11:00 BST (UK) »
Oh what fun...
I remember my Dad and his mother used to have lots of nonsense rhymes that I learned.  :D
This one was a song;
Chicori chick chelar chelar, chica laroony in a bananica
Wallika bollika can't you see,
Chicori chick is me.

And of course; Maresie doats was another. My husband is a butcher and they have Retchietub Kalat.  ::)  Sometimes I even understand what he's saying.  ;D

Leonie.
Direct matriarchal line; ENNIS-Yeatman-Cooper-Papps-Ryland-Lechford/Luxford-Bagshaw-Henriett
ENNIS-Thomas-Bonnin-Aldridge-Williams-Harding-Brown.
ENNIS-Davis/Davies-Buck-Oakley-
JONES-Roberts-Handy-Ross-Warrillow-Eagles-Cotterill-Bailey.
JONES-Walton-Grayson-Stobbs-Baldwin-Ibbotson-Scott.
JONES-Goodwin-Parker-Instant-Hubbard-Hancock-Skinner.

STILL LOOKING FOR: Elizabeth Ann Balfour ENNIS nee DAVIS. Disappeared in Adelaide, South Australia. 1881.

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 06 August 10 11:03 BST (UK) »
Leonie

Oh dear, you've started me singing "Chicori chick" now and I won't be able to get it out of my mind for days. ::)

Gillg

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline LoneyBones

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wot, me worry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 06 August 10 11:20 BST (UK) »
Well, if it gets seriously stuck.....just try changing over to the Ying Tong Song.   ;D  ;D  ;D
Direct matriarchal line; ENNIS-Yeatman-Cooper-Papps-Ryland-Lechford/Luxford-Bagshaw-Henriett
ENNIS-Thomas-Bonnin-Aldridge-Williams-Harding-Brown.
ENNIS-Davis/Davies-Buck-Oakley-
JONES-Roberts-Handy-Ross-Warrillow-Eagles-Cotterill-Bailey.
JONES-Walton-Grayson-Stobbs-Baldwin-Ibbotson-Scott.
JONES-Goodwin-Parker-Instant-Hubbard-Hancock-Skinner.

STILL LOOKING FOR: Elizabeth Ann Balfour ENNIS nee DAVIS. Disappeared in Adelaide, South Australia. 1881.

Offline alpinecottage

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 06 August 10 11:56 BST (UK) »
Just another bit of nonsense I remember:

A barefooted man with clogs on
Came slowly whizzing past.....

Memory fails me as to how it went on, but perhaps someone else is familiar with it.

This is the version my Manchester born mum told;

The barefoot boy with clogs on
stood, sitting on the grass.

(a bit missing here..)

Entrance was free,
you payed at the door.
You brought your own chair
and sat on the floor

..and one final verse too, I think  :D

Perrins - Manchester and Staffs
Honan - Manchester and Ireland
Hogg - Manchester 19 cent
Anderson - Newcastle mid 19 cent
Boullen - London then Carlisle then Manchester
Comer - Manchester and Galway

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 06 August 10 14:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks, alpine cottage.  I didn't know that other verse.  The poem by George Sims is a sad and very long story, and not fun at all - you can Google it.

Leonie

I once had a record of the Ying Tong song and knew every word (not that there were many of them!) and note off by heart.  Sadly my cousin knelt on it and it broke in three, as they did in the old days.  Still makes me smile, though, when I hear it.