Author Topic: Liverpudlian nonsense prose  (Read 23445 times)

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Liverpudlian nonsense prose
« Reply #72 on: Tuesday 07 February 23 23:00 GMT (UK) »
You have not lived!  ;D
That makes you a deprived child….. never having conni onni butties!
Not too late to experience the pleasure!
However,Conny onny nowadays is a thin runny imitation of how it used to be.
Doesn’t work so well for a cheesecake as it formerly did.
Viktoria.

Offline purlin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Wednesday 08 February 23 15:30 GMT (UK) »
Yep Conni onni, drippin, chips or sugar all on door steps  which ever, they all did the trick.  My favourite cold rice pud, just the gear. 
Crosbie, Crosby, Black, Woods, Johnstone, Kelly, Howatt, McMillan, Wauchope Scott, Smith, Gibbons, Roberts, Hildred, Jones, Hughes. Curran, Palmer. Hughes, Jones, Wilcox, wilbraham, owen
Liverpool, Dumfriesshire, Kirkudbrightshire, Cheshire, Flintshire, llanrwst, trefriw, Lincolnshire, America, Canada, New Zealand.

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Wednesday 08 February 23 15:38 GMT (UK) »
Yep Conni onni, drippin, chips or sugar all on door steps  which ever, they all did the trick.  My favourite cold rice pud, just the gear.

I'll agree with you on all of those BUT I wouldn't have bread with conni onni (just a spoon, preferably quite large.)  :o  The cold rice pudding had to be quite set and have a very brown skin.  My grannie always added suet to her recipe for rice pudding.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline purlin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Thursday 09 February 23 14:56 GMT (UK) »

The cold rice pudding had to be quite set and have a very brown skin.  My grannie always added suet to her recipe for rice pudding.

Now you've got my juices going BumbleB.  Never heard of adding suet to it but yes I can see it would work well.

Crosbie, Crosby, Black, Woods, Johnstone, Kelly, Howatt, McMillan, Wauchope Scott, Smith, Gibbons, Roberts, Hildred, Jones, Hughes. Curran, Palmer. Hughes, Jones, Wilcox, wilbraham, owen
Liverpool, Dumfriesshire, Kirkudbrightshire, Cheshire, Flintshire, llanrwst, trefriw, Lincolnshire, America, Canada, New Zealand.

Offline Ian999

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Thursday 09 February 23 15:39 GMT (UK) »
We have two threads here, the skipping/nonsense songs and the memories of Scouse cuisine.

I was born in Glasgow and we moved down (in the World?) to Liverpool when I was about 7. The Scouse foods I remember were conny-onny butties or their variant a slab of bread smeared with lard and then a light dusting of cocoa. Why cocoa I have no idea, probably my father could steal it. On Sundays or for special occasions we had boiled mince on mash. It tasted good at the time!

Regarding skipping songs, here was me with the only song I knew being Coulter’s Candy, which is something you cannot get out of your head and drives mothers mad. I then learned the Catholic/Protestant songs which curiously did not seem to exist in Glasgow.

One nasty example is:

“Holy Mary, Mother of God
I hope you marry a big fat Prod.
Holy Mary, Mother of Grace
Let me spit in a Catholic’s face.”

It has a wonderful cadence and you can easily imagine the skipping rope going round with kids jumping in singing the refrain.
The kids didn’t know what they were saying which just goes to show that this stuff is learned behaviour.