Author Topic: Charles Edward Walker  (Read 6891 times)

Offline chelmorton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Edward Walker
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 02 June 10 17:46 BST (UK) »
I wonder if anyone has access to the Builth parish records for @1855 - I suppose that is the only way to establish if Charles Edward Walker did exist before 1901.

I suspect that Edward Davis became Charles Edward Walker for appearances sake, but why Charles ? Possibly Charles was one of his christian names or his Fathers. My Grandfather was called Charles (but actually went through his life thinking it was Charles Edward). It seems odd to keep a name going without some attachment to it.

The Edward Davis supposition is obviously very important if correct as it alters my bloodline considerably.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 02 June 10 17:57 BST (UK) »

The Edward Davis supposition is obviously very important if correct as it alters my bloodline considerably.

Are you descended from one of the children Elizabeth had with Robert WALKER, or from one she had with his successor - whoever he was? Presumably the latter, from what you say. (Sorry if you've already told us and I've missed it ;))
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline chelmorton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 02 June 10 20:15 BST (UK) »
Sorry - I should have clarified that.

My Grandfather was Charles Walker b 1897 at Fairfield. I think we can safely assume that I am decended from Charles Edward as Robert was seemingly estranged from Elizabeth at the time of Charles birth.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 02 June 10 20:22 BST (UK) »

My Grandfather was Charles Walker b 1897 at Fairfield. I think we can safely assume that I am decended from Charles Edward as Robert was seemingly estranged from Elizabeth at the time of Charles birth.

Agreed.

NB He actually seems to have been born in 1896 (Charles Walker Sep qtr 1896 Chapel en le Frith 7b 833).
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 03 June 10 10:06 BST (UK) »
Who are named as parents on your grandfather's birth cert?
Is it just straightforward Charles Edward Walker and Eliz Walker nee Lloyd?
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chelmorton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 03 June 10 11:11 BST (UK) »
lizdb..............Birth certificate shows Charles Walker b 9/8/1896. Son of Charles Edward Walker and Mary Elizabeth Walker formerly Lloyd.

The big problem I have with this is that if Charles Edward Walker is an assumed name for reasons previously mentioned, there is not going to be any other record prior to 1901.
I am almost certain he is not Robert Walker (husband in 1881) as he appears to be elsewhere in 1891 and 1901.
That leaves one possible option, that Edward Davis changed his name - this is a fair possibility as both he and Charles Edward seem to be born in Builth although birth year differs.
A bit more information came to light today. My Father recalls a story that his Aunt Effie (see 1891 census) mentions that HER Father was thrown out by her Miother after returning from Sheffield. It is intimated he had been playing away.
Now Effies Father could well have been Robert Walker and that fits in with his movements.
When the family lived at Fairfield Effie also mentioned a "lodger" known as Locks (a nickname due to his long hair and abundant beard) who lived with the family. I had heard this story before and assumed that Charles Edward Walker was the one thrown out by Elizabeth after which she took in a lodger for financial reasons - Locks. This man was reputed to be an auctioneers Son from Bournemouth who had left the family business for unknown reasons and ended up in Derbyshire.
Locks (possibly Charles Edward/Edward Davis) was still alive after the war and may well have outlived Elizabeth.

I'm sorry that this seems hopelessly complicated but until I receieved so much information from yourself and others it really didn't come together. I find it hard to accept that a man could change his identity and live under an assumed name for many years even having his death registered as such. Having said that there is a danger of trying to see events at that time as if they were current. It would be impossible to do nowadays but in the early 1900's ?

Any ideas how I can follow up on Edward Davis ?

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 03 June 10 11:19 BST (UK) »
Well, the throwing out of Effie's father & link with Sheffield certainly fits in with Robert Walker's movements. (When was Ellen Burrows' child born - could he have been the father? I wonder whether Ellen was his "playing away"?).

I don't know what to make of Locks at the moment!

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 03 June 10 11:24 BST (UK) »
Any ideas how I can follow up on Edward Davis ?

There seem to be remarkably few candidates for him in the earlier censuses under that name with or without the addition of "Charles".

In 1881 there's an Edward DAVIES, 27 b Builth, a water bailiff in Ross, Herefordshire who might be worth looking at.  He's enumerated as married, but no wife with him. I don't know how you can link him to Edward the lodger in 1891 but at least he has the right birthplace and nearly the right name!  1881 ref: RG11/2585/76/8.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 03 June 10 11:28 BST (UK) »
Do you know anything at all about the post-1911 life of this family - when & where Elizabeth died and the informant of her death, who gave the girls away at their weddings etc?  "Charles Edward", whoever he was, seems to have assumed the role of head of household, so I'd be surprised if he was the person Effie remembered as a "lodger" - even if he'd started out as a lodger when she was very young.

Perhaps Charles Edward also left the family later on, hence the subsequent arrival of "Locks"?