Author Topic: GOODEN - Speen  (Read 3991 times)

Offline newburychap

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: GOODEN - Speen
« Reply #9 on: Monday 03 January 11 12:35 GMT (UK) »
The wine & spirit merchants is my main interest - I think that this is the business (stock in trade is mentioned) that Sarah Gooden leaves to her daughter Sarah in 1809, with son-in-law EE Gale as co-executor.  I am not sure how he gets to take over, but his will includes provision of an annuity to sister-in-law Sarah Gooden - which I am guessing was fulfillment of a deal whereby he took over the business in return for an annual payment to Sarah.

What I do not yet understand is how the business went from Henry Gooden's widow, Sarah, to Richard Gooden's widow, Sarah.  Did Henry's granddaughter Sarah take over from her mother?  Which Mrs Gooden moved the business a few doors down the street in 1787 (my bet is that this was Henry's widow - but I don't have her death)? Have you any idea what happened to Henry's daughter Sarah? Or his other child, Hannah Hill?
Latest project - www.westberkshirewarmemorials.org.uk
Currently researching:<br /> Newbury pubs  & inns - the buildings, breweries and publican families.
Member of Newbury District Field Club - www.ndfc.org.uk

Offline esmeralda100

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 03 January 11 17:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for posting this very interesting cutting. I don't have answers to your questions at present but if I do find out any more I'll let you know.

Offline Ronnell roegner gale

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 18 February 20 20:59 GMT (UK) »
Hello it is my intention to find an accurate link of the children of edmund Wilkins Gale and Anastasia “nannie)  Kelly, who had three sons. 
Raymond Theron , Harold W and my great great grandfather Edmond J.
Also is Edmund Wilkins Gale the son of Edmond estcourt  Wilkins Gale who came over in 1845. Thank you so much!!