Author Topic: Witherow Family of Aghadowey  (Read 3364 times)

Offline dflansburg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Witherow Family of Aghadowey
« on: Monday 28 March 05 07:08 BST (UK) »

My ancestor was born in the parish of Aghadowey in 1795.  His name was Thomas Witherow and he came to the US in 1821.  My question is:  How do I find his birth/Baptism record in this parish?  Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Darin Flansburg

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: Witherow Family of Aghadowey
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 April 05 23:39 BST (UK) »
You may find some helpful links to areas of research here:

http://www.rootsweb.com/~nirldy/

about halfway down the page are some links to info on Parish Records for the various denominations in the county, for example:

http://www.rootsweb.com/~nirldy/derrycoi.html
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 August 07 22:12 BST (UK) »
Hiya Darin,

I wonder if your Thomas was related to Hugh Witherow, a farmer at Aughlish, near Dungiven.

Hugh's son, born at Ballycastle, County Londonderry, on May 29, 1824, was christened Thomas.

Christopher

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 August 07 23:28 BST (UK) »
Darin- there are several Presbyterian Churches in Aghadowey parish and area: Aghadowey, Crossgar, Killaig, Ringsend. (I'm assuming your Thomas Witherow was like most Witherows Presbyterian). St. Guaire's Church of Ireland is in centre of parish.
Civil registration started in Ireland in 1864 (Protestant marriages  in 1845) so there will be no birth certificate. Aghadowey baptisms start 1855, Crossgar 1839, Killaig 1805, Ringsend 1871. Therefore probably no baptismal record.
1740 Protestant Householders List has a William Witherow in Aghadowey Parish (townlands not listed). No Witherows appear in the 1831 Census (head of household only listed by name). It was certainly never a common name in Aghadowey although a few Witherows/Woodrows lived near Garvagh.
Alexander Baird of Ballynacally, Aghadowey Parish, was married to a Nancy Witherow but she was originally from Aughlish (many Witherows there) and Rev. Thomas Witherow (1824-1890) was her nephew. Thomas studied in Aghadowey under Rev. James Bryce of Killaig Presbyterian Church and stayed with the Bairds.
(this is the Thomas Witherow Christopher mentioned born at his grandfather Martin's house at Ballycastle in Aghanloo Parish).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline dflansburg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 August 07 00:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Christopher,

I honestly wish I knew more about Thomas Witherow.  All the information I have is that he was born in the parish of Aghadowey in 1795 and that he came to the USA in 1821 (per his naturalization papers).  Also his first wife was Jane Campbell.  They probably married around 1817/18 as their son John was born about 1819.  Jane died soon after coming to the USA and Thomas married next Nancy Patterson.  Their children were Robert, William, Thomas, James, David, Joseph and Samuel.

If you are able to research the parish records of Aghadowey.  I would certainly appreciate it.  This has been a brick wall for many, many years....

Darin

Hiya Darin,

I wonder if your Thomas was related to Hugh Witherow, a farmer at Aughlish, near Dungiven.

Hugh's son, born at Ballycastle, County Londonderry, on May 29, 1824, was christened Thomas.

Christopher

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 August 07 00:15 BST (UK) »
Darin- you did not mention what religion these Witherows are but as I mentioned in my earlier post there are no local records for any of the Presbyterian churches in Aghadowey Parish for 1795. St. Guaire's records don't start until 1870.
You think Thomas Witherow married 1817/18 Jane Campbell. Registration of Protestant marriages began 1845. None of the local Presbyterian Churches have marriage records back far enough except Killaig. I have transcribed Rev. Bryce's notebook which starts from his arrival in Ireland (1805) and continues, with gaps, until his death in 1857. There are no Witherows listed in the baptisms, marriages, deaths or communicants.
A large portion of Aghadowey was under the Ironmongers Company and their 1765 survey of tenants does not list Witherows but this may mean they were living elsewhere in Aghadowey, like Church lands for example.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!