Author Topic: Stanislaw Skalski  (Read 2598 times)

Offline sgrollitt

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Stanislaw Skalski
« on: Thursday 03 June 10 11:27 BST (UK) »
Stanislaw Skalski was the first Allied pilot to become an Ace during World War Two. He rose to a great rank after the war and had a rich and well-documented Air Force career. He was born on 27 October 1915 in Kodyma near Odessa, Russian Empire and died on 12 November 2004 in Warsaw, Poland.

He moved with his mother to Poland in 1918. After his father escaped from Romania, he joined them in 1921., but who were his parents?

Offline apwright

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Stanislaw Skalski
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 June 10 12:37 BST (UK) »
This biography http://www.polishairforce.pl/skalski.html gives his parents' names as Szymon and Józefa (nee Biernat).

Adrian

Offline sgrollitt

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 June 10 13:46 BST (UK) »
Fantastic! Thank you very much Adrian

:D :D

Offline sgrollitt

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 June 10 14:12 BST (UK) »
My friend's mother was Wanda Skalska, the sister of Stanislaw Skalski. My friend was told by his step-sister long ago that his mother came from an important family. I thought by finding her brother's parents, I could discover more about the Skalski family and why they were 'important'. All I've been able to find is this:

Stanislaw's father Szymon Skalski, ran a small experimental agricultural station in one of the estates of Prince Trubetskoi. When Skalski was less than three years, his family moved to Zbaraj that after the signing of peace between the Polish and Soviet Russia fit within the newly formed Polish state.

Offline sgrollitt

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 June 10 14:29 BST (UK) »
Here is a link to a Polish site that might give more information, but I don't know any Polish:

http://odkrywca.pl/gen-stanislaw-skalski-w-przytulku-,130435.html