Author Topic: Albert Edward Roscoe- completed  (Read 5185 times)

Offline FWaters

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Albert Edward Roscoe- completed
« on: Wednesday 11 April 07 09:55 BST (UK) »
Hi
Please could someone point me in the right direction to begin my research as I have no experience of looking for/at Irish records.

We know that Albert Edward Roscoe was sent as a child from Chorlton Workhouse to Canada with many other workhouse children from England.  On the immigration records it gives his date of birth as 1884 (no place of birth shown).  On his service records however, it gives his date of birth as 24th December 1890 and place as Belfast, Ireland.  We believe that the year 1890 is almost certainly incorrect but do wish to follow up the possibility that he was born in Belfast.

I have promised to do this research for a Canadien friend and would really appreciate any advice as to where to go from here.

Many thanks
Fiona
Waters - Hull, Edinburgh(Leith), Glasgow
Hazard - Hull, Lincoln
Whitbread - Lincoln, Buckinghamshire
Hutchison - Edinburgh, Glasgow

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Albert Edward Roscoe
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 April 07 14:08 BST (UK) »
Any idea when he was sent to Canada? Looked on Canadian Archives website but didn't see him listed under Home Children.
Information on attestation papers must have been given by Albert himself (don't think they asked for proof of age)- could be have changed his age to 24 instead of 30 in case they wouldn't accept him?
Or could immigration papers be incorrect?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline FWaters

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 April 07 14:15 BST (UK) »
Hi

He was sent to Canada in 1893 on the SS Vancouver - we think it most likely that his immigration papers are correct (surely he would not have been sent as a three year old child).  We do wonder if he gave the wrong date when he signed up so that he would be accepted.

Fiona
Hazard - Hull, Lincoln

Offline kated

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Woman on the ground
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 April 07 14:52 BST (UK) »
It's not such a common name so have you looked for his birth in the indexes plus or minus a few years. As he was born post 1864, it should have been registered. These are available at the Dublin GRO (in person or Roscommon by post) or on film at your local family history centre. (Church of the latter day saints) http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHC/frameset_fhc.asp for your nearest.

Then you have to take the reference to the Dublin or Roscommon GRO for a copy of the register entry. www.groireland.ie

Kate
Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Prior,Blyth,Ellis:Halstead, Ramsey Essex
Blyth,Faeres,Smith:Suffolk
Ballard, Driscoll, Costen,Miller:Kent
Driscoll, Ragan: Cork
Miller: Hardwick
Hardy: Burton, Derby, Ruddington

Offline FWaters

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Albert Edward Roscoe - completed
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 April 07 18:15 BST (UK) »
Thank you for all your help.  I have been very lucky to track down a relation of Albert's in New Zealand through other sources, so this is now complete.

Fiona
Hazard - Hull, Lincoln

Offline FH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Albert Edward Roscoe
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 June 10 00:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Fiona
I am new to this chat line. I live in Victoria B.C. Canada.
I found that you have been doing research on this Albert Edward Roscoe.
I am as well. He lived on my great grand fathers farm in Ontario just before WW1. Their name was Bateman. He listed these people as his next of kin to the Army. and I have lots of info about him, but would like to know more. I believe he became like a sibling to my grand mother.
You mentioned that you were able to find a relative in NZ.
Can you please contact me so we could continue this search.
I just got his service records from Ottawa and I think I might be able to locate his grave site in France
Regards Frank Horton

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Albert Edward Roscoe- completed
« Reply #6 on: Monday 18 October 10 16:41 BST (UK) »
Belated welcome to the site, Frankhorton...I am sorry that your reply was not answered by the poster of this query! I imagine it may have been the Batemans who supplied the letters & photo, but will add  for those others who may be searching...I have also added him to the BHC list on the Canada resource pages.

Roscoe, Albert Edward
Albert Edward Roscoe was born in Belfast, Ireland in December, 1890 and then came to Canada as a Barnardo boy and lived with the Bateman family near Stirling, Ontario. Prior to the war he moved to the west and took up farming. Roscoe enlisted September 24, 1914 and served with the 5th Bn., Canadian Infantry (Saskatchewan Regiment). He was killed May 24, 1915 and his name is one of the over 11,000 names found on the Vimy Memorial of Canadian soldiers whose graves are not known. The collection consists of three letters and one photograph.
( There is also a photo here :
 http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca/remembers/sub.cfm?source=collections/virtualmem/photos&casualty=1573716)
Perhaps the same Albert E. age 16 with the McConnels the date of imm. says 1893, birth Dec. 1885 ( weird 8s this enumerator makes) and England.  http://www.automatedgenealogy.com/census/ViewFrame.jsp?id=54384&highlight=32 
In 1906 Prairies census there is an Albert Roscoe lodging with the Secord family Brandon, Manitoba http://www.automatedgenealogy.com/census06/  Not visible in 1911
FWaters...Did the other relative in N.Z confirm the place of birth? Even though he is not a direct relative it is nice to finish off with all the information that can be found...especially for BHC and those who served...J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 18 October 10 20:37 BST (UK) »
Here is the connection in N.Z. although they don't answer their posting... Frankhorton posted there as well, but it is an old query...I have notified both of these post holders in case notification was off...
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,132537.msg592252.html#msg592252

As I suspected, he is thought to be born Chorlton, I saw him on the BMD...but it was only spec. ...If the date was contrived, it seemed likely there might have been more made up information on the document...I have seen some aliases before as well... It was not a huge thing to lie on forms back then, so we can't trust all content...
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 18 October 10 21:11 BST (UK) »
This site says Manchester archives has & will do searches of:
CHORLTON UNION REGISTER OF CHILDREN SENT TO CANADA
This register covers the period 1892 - 1947. The Manchester Archives reference is M4/60/2.
http://www.manchester-family-history-research.co.uk/new_page_5.htm

I do not see the mother, thought to be Margaret Coonan / Coonen/  Cooner nee Grundy who had daughter Lily there some time in 1881.. There is a Thomas ROSCOE age 62 Pauper/Cotton Spinner,  Manchester in case turns out to be related in some way http://www.workhouses.org.uk/index.html?Chorlton/Chorlton1881.shtml
I cannot see a Frederick c. 1879 with a mother Margaret of any of those surnames in Lancashire 1881

Frederick William was registered as Coonen  JuneQ 1879 Chorlton  vol.8c  p.782
Lily was registered as Cooner SeptQ 1881   Chorlton     vol.8c  p.657
southee seems to have these births with no father named / wonder what it said for
Albert Edward Roscoe  SeptQ 1883   Chorlton     vol.8c  p.772