Author Topic: Charles Edward Walker/Edward Davis  (Read 4890 times)

Offline chelmorton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Charles Edward Walker/Edward Davis
« on: Friday 04 June 10 09:24 BST (UK) »
I am trying to trace my great Grandfather. He was known as Charles Edward Walker b@1855 Builth, Brecon.

There is a possibility that this was not his correct name and he could have been Edward Davis b @1857 Buylth, Radnorshire.

Please see link to previous topic "Charles Edward Walker" in Beginners forum for research already completed by members.

I wonder if anyone has access to the Builth parish records for the 1850's and could look for these names.

I am assuming that Builth, Brecon and Buylth, Radnorshire are the same place.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Edward Walker/Edward Davis
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 June 10 09:35 BST (UK) »
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 June 10 21:26 BST (UK) »
Hi there

Builth and Buylth are in fact the town of Builth Wells.  Brecon is a different town, and was in the old county of Brecknock.  Radnorshire was a separate county.  All very confusing, particularly when nowadays they are all part of Powys, although the electoral constituency is Brecon & Radnor.

Regards,
Greensleeves
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chelmorton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 June 10 22:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks Greensleeves..............I am by no means an expert but having looked at some old maps of Wales it seems that Builth is very close to Radnorshire or was.
The research seems to indicate that both Davis (who I am most interested in) and C.E. Walker originate from a similar area and are both a long way from home.
I think one possibility is that Davis came from a smaller place near Builth but just gave Builth as it was the nearest town. Where he came from could have been in Radnorshire.
I know I am surmising a bit but my research on Davis has come to a shuddering halt because even when I research the name I have no idea how close places are to Builth.

The whole thing is a bit bizarre if you read the original post but it is more than a coincidence that Elizabeth lived with two men from Builth/Buylth within 10 years.