Author Topic: Old boxers  (Read 21314 times)

Offline Garethboxing

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Grampy Wyndham Jones (Wales v Ireland 1905)
    • View Profile
Re: Old boxers
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 12 August 10 12:53 BST (UK) »
Sorry, Mike, that's a Personal Message (for your eyes only!) - I only just realised you were new to Rootschat.

Welcome, croeso  :D

Gareth
Scott, Dowdeswell (Merthyr Tydfil), Jones (Loughor and Merthyr Vale), Roberts (Nelson), Prichard (Collenna and Cefn Fforest); Evan Roberts (Corwen and Amlwch); Scott (Pentre); Scott (Ancrum); Thomas (Pantywaun and Bedlinog); Morgan Jones (Ystradfellte); Bowen (Loughor); Jenkins (Bridgend); Thomas Dowdeswell (b. Gloucester, 1829).

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • "Family ~ link to our past, bridge to our future"
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 13 August 10 00:18 BST (UK) »
Hey bud just came across your mail regarding my great uncle Frank Moody his brother Glen and my grandfather Jack. ...

Hello Mike :)
You may have noticed, from earlier posts in this thread, that my Grandfather's cousin ~ my Mum's Godmother ~ was Frank Moody's wife.

And my grandfather's boxer brother, Billy Hampton, went to America with Frank Moody. According to the article mentioned by Gareth, above, Billy Hampton and Billy Moody worked together in the electric works at Lynn, Massachusetts.
Worcs / Glos: Neal Neale Jeynes Jeens Geans Harris Roper Ropier Colley Dyer Heeks Bayzand Hampton Bishop Cole Elton Littlehales McGowan
Glamorgam: Hampton Thornton Svombo Swambo Swanbo Keefe O Keefe Shanahan Shannon Doyle Maldoon Muldoon Davies Llewellyn Jones
Birmingham: Neale Sarjant Cole Hiley Berridge Tirebuck

Offline Mike Bull

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 14 August 10 17:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Gareth and thanks for the reply you will see I have attached a photo of my grandad to my profile  ;D. The real spooky thing is that it is almost like looking at myself in the mirror pic of me attached for your view....Really good that I do but a little spooky... Thanks again bud, have a good weekend. Mike

Offline PritchProbert

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 23 February 11 19:39 GMT (UK) »
Pritchard Probert was my great grandfather and some of my family are boxers. Have just googled his name and came across your posts on this site, so I registered. Would be very interested in talking to you.

Offline PritchProbert

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 24 February 11 20:50 GMT (UK) »
 I am one of the Grandaughters of Pritchard Morgan Probert, I have two sisters, as a matter of interest in the family tree went onto goggle and keyed in his name to such a surprise there was a posting by Gareth Boxing, the data posted was correct as far as I know, my Grand Father passed away when my Mother was 3 years old.  He came to Whitley Bay then the county of Northumberland to do boxing training when he met my Grand Mother Matilda Duff.

Would be interested to know there is someone in the Welsh family side to be able to help with the family tree.

Offline Garethboxing

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 24 February 11 21:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi PritchProbert,
     My book, though later than hoped, should be out next month or in April; I'll put details here when I have something definite.
     It will include profiles of both Pritch and his brother Llew, which I hope will be informative. I also have a copy of Llew's death certificate, which I would be glad to send you. If you want it, PM me (that is, send me a Private Message) with your address.
     Regards,
       Gareth
Scott, Dowdeswell (Merthyr Tydfil), Jones (Loughor and Merthyr Vale), Roberts (Nelson), Prichard (Collenna and Cefn Fforest); Evan Roberts (Corwen and Amlwch); Scott (Pentre); Scott (Ancrum); Thomas (Pantywaun and Bedlinog); Morgan Jones (Ystradfellte); Bowen (Loughor); Jenkins (Bridgend); Thomas Dowdeswell (b. Gloucester, 1829).

Offline Garethboxing

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 13 June 11 14:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks to all for your help and interest. The book is, finally, available. For details see:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Boxers-of-Wales-Vol-2-Merthyr-Aberdare-and-Pontypridd/129937947084958?sk=wall

Thanks again, Gareth :)

Offline islwynbloo

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 10 August 12 00:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Couldn't help seeing your post when I was looking up my relative Billy Thomas. I believe he was my Dad's Uncle. He had a brother Tom and they were from Deri.

My Dad always told me about him being the last Welshman to beat Tommy farr and that he beat the Australian champion. Has to be the same man. I can remember going to croesfan Terrace to see an Auntie Betty (long time ago). I think it might have been an uncle Glanmor's wife.

My Dad's father was Emlyn Thomas though he seperated from my Nan just after the war. It sounds like we may be cousins!

Offline Dstephens

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 05 October 13 05:26 BST (UK) »
Mike Bull, we seem to be related. Jack, Frank and Glen are my Great Uncles.  I am Dennis's grand daughter. The baby brother of the family. Is it possible to get in contact with you. We are trying to find everyone in the family that are still alive and to put together the family tree. It would be fantastic to meet you!