Author Topic: Hogton Family Duffield  (Read 3582 times)

Offline Aboreal Addict

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hogton Family Duffield
« on: Sunday 06 June 10 11:39 BST (UK) »
Hi,   I  am looking for info.  about this family  who were in Duffield before 1800.
I am particulary looking for a baptism for a John   Hogton born about 1738   he married an Alice
and they had six children

Thanks Wendy.
Barrow  Cumberwoth/ Hepworth W. Yorks.
Graham Huddersfield
Harper  Hunts and  Cambs
Meadows Northants
Bond Marlyebone
Brassington  Caverswall Staffs
Eaton family Colwich Staffs.
O'Brien Tipperary     And Stephenson  Melling  in Lonsdale area

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Hogton Family Duffield
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 June 10 22:38 BST (UK) »
Hello Wendy,
None of the following is actually an answer to your question, but hope it may expand your thoughts.

The first Bpt to take place in Duffield with the name of Hogton was a William 1755 son of John,
there are lots of other children either to John Hogton or John & Alice Hogton the latter being after mothers
name was required.

The first marriage in the name of Hogton 1822.
By using the following site, first selecting Derby, on next page Duffield, selecting a batch and searching for Hogton you are then given all the extracted records on the IGI.  This cuts out all the Patron Submitted Items.
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~hughwallis/IGIBatchNumbers/CountryEngland.htm

This name or something similar was obviously new to the area, due to accents, spelling etc., is probably not
strictly correct.

Interestingly there is a marriage at Duffield 7th November 1754 John HEYDON = Alice Jackson, this marriage
is not on the extracted records of IGI (there is a Patron Submitted entry)  but can be seen on Phillimore's Marriage Transcripts:-
http://www.uk-genealogy.org.uk/england/Derbyshire/towns/d/Duffield/index.html

Phillimore's transcripts are normally very accurate.
Interestingly no children appear to have been born to Heydon/Alice, but the births to Hogton/Alice commence.

The name Hogton does appear in the Wirksworth area on:-
http://www.google.com/cse?cx=015972153558763180952%3Azkgz1i6rnpg&q=Hogton&sa=Search

Regards Spendlove
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

Offline Aboreal Addict

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 June 10 18:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Spendlove,  Thanks for your reply  and for the info.

It seems likely then  that the marriage you found with John Heydon is a possible  though we don't know for definate.  Everything fits.

I have seen so many differant spellings for the surname.

Do you think it likely that they were in  Wirksworth before Duffield I certainly haven't found any reference to the name pre 1750 in Duffield.  How near are they to one another?
Thanks again Wendy.
Graham Huddersfield
Harper  Hunts and  Cambs
Meadows Northants
Bond Marlyebone

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 June 10 21:06 BST (UK) »
Hello Wendy,
Wirksworth is about 6 miles from Belper, there are also Hogtons in Denby Derbyshire which is about 3 miles
from Belper.

It is impossible to say where John Hogton = Alice originated from.  It is important to look at the entries in the actual Parish Registers, just to see if any additional notes were added by the vicar at the time of entry in the registers, the IGI never includes these. 

Re the Denby Registers, there is a book "Some Chapters in the History of Denby" by Mark Fryar published in 1934 re-printed abt 1980/90 which includes transcripts of all the Denby Parish Registers.  You should be able
to order via you local library.
Following backwards, the children born to a Ralph & Mary Hogton, the surname changed from Ogton in 1709, John Hodgson 1711, Hodgton 1712, Mary Hodgton 1713, Elizabeth Hogton, 1715, Ann Hogton 1718, Sarah Hodgton 1720, Elin Hogton 1728 to 1736 Ann dau of Ralph Hogton buried, all children of Ralph. Probably lots of other entries if thoroughly examined

There is a marriage in Phillimore's  at Heanor, Ralph Hogden of Horsley Parish
to Mary Hulland of Heanor Parish 20.1.1707. 

Horsley is the next village to Denby, the marriage taking place in the Parish of the Bride.

Spendlove
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

Offline Aboreal Addict

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 June 10 10:49 BST (UK) »
Hi,  Thanks again for all the info.     It certainly helps talking to someone who knows the area .
I can see that a lot more research is needed  but thanks for showing me a direction  to go in  and I will try to get a copy of the book.
Wendy.
Graham Huddersfield
Harper  Hunts and  Cambs
Meadows Northants
Bond Marlyebone