Author Topic: ARTIZAN BUILDINGS  (Read 15244 times)

Offline anpefa1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ARTIZAN BUILDINGS
« Reply #9 on: Monday 04 April 11 00:13 BST (UK) »
hi selby,
as there are recent replies to your original request i assume that it is still a current research topic for you?
the artizan dwellings in north kensington is on the harrow road london w9. it is now an amateur boxing gym.
do you require any history info? tony.
uk. beale, bateman, buss, bacon, pratt, purssell, reynolds, stamford, sumpter, sailsbury, turner, white nee phillips.
eire. carroll, connor, cronin, daly, fellowes, fitzgerald, gaynor, girvan, keogh, meade, moroney, reilly, whelan, white, winterlich.
scotland: mcavoy

Offline Selby

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 04 April 11 11:06 BST (UK) »
 :)  Thank you both for the recent info.

I'm happy to receive anything about Artizen Dwellings... (please)!!!  Do you need my email address?

I've only recently found out that my family lived in Olaf Street (because my grandmother was born in 1902 so she didn't appear on the 1901 census) but now that the 1911 census has been released I've found her!!

I hope that our ancestors knew each other Eunice, wouldn't that be surreal  ;D

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Selby

Offline anpefa1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 04 April 11 23:28 BST (UK) »
hi selby,
i now live in the n ken area in one of the terraced houses that were built between 1871 and 1876 on the queens park estate, the area of your research.
the artizan dwellings still stand and it is in a preservation area.
architecturally it is a lovely building that i have photographed.
let me know what i can do for you insofar as your research is concerned.
tony.

Moderator comment: Email address removed in accordance with Rootschat policies, please use the personal message system to exchange this information
uk. beale, bateman, buss, bacon, pratt, purssell, reynolds, stamford, sumpter, sailsbury, turner, white nee phillips.
eire. carroll, connor, cronin, daly, fellowes, fitzgerald, gaynor, girvan, keogh, meade, moroney, reilly, whelan, white, winterlich.

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 04 April 11 23:42 BST (UK) »
I grew up on the Queen's Park Estate in the 1950s and North Kensington began on the other side of the Halfpenny Steps at the bottom of Second Avenue over the Grand Union Canal, that was the boundary.

I bought the book, 'Artizans and Avenues, a history of the Queen's Park Estate' by Erica McDonald and David J Smith which is a very interesting account of the history  of the area.

The estate was built and given the name honouring Queen Victoria, the tube station being named for the housing estate which was built by The Artizan's Labourers' and General Dwellings Company.  The land on which the estate is built was bought in June 1874 and was an extra parochial parcel of land in the parish of Chelsea.  If you walk along Third Avenue the curve of the road follows the line of the field on which it was built.

The house in which I lived, across the road from my grandparents was built in 1881.  Like many of my school friends, we grew up surrounded by our families who all lived on the estate - it was very much like growing up in a village.

Pat ...
Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline anpefa1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 05 April 11 20:55 BST (UK) »
pat,
i went to qp library today (my local unit, not yet under threat of closure!) and bought a copy of that booklet for £4, a bargain and a useful source to boot. cheers. tony

Offline Selby

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 05 April 11 21:10 BST (UK) »
...  ;D  and I've just asked my son to try and find me a copy!!

Thanks for the tip!

Selby

Offline anpefa1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 05 April 11 21:33 BST (UK) »
hi selby,
i can get one for you if you wish, i may have to post it to you though (if your not near central/nw london that is. tony

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 05 April 11 22:48 BST (UK) »
I have the re-print from 2004, I waited several years for it to be published  ::)  Worth the wait.

I look back on my years on the Avenues with great fondness, but I guess the 1950s was another time in history.

It was interesting looking at residents there in the 1891, 1901 and now the 1911 census returns.  My family always said that to have a house on the estate you had to prove a steady, regular income.  Uniformed workers were always guaranteed to be given a house/flat, such as postal workers and railway workers.

Another book pub by City of Westminster Archives is Pantomimes and Pineapples, focusing on the area around the Metropolitan Music Hall and Church Street market.

Tony, I joined Queens Park Library at the age of seven whilst still a pupil at Queen's Park Primary School in Droop Street.  In my third year in the juniors I had the same teacher as my mother and my aunties had when they were a similar age   ;D

Pat ...
Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline Selby

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 06 April 11 09:57 BST (UK) »
Thank you Tony  :D  :D  :D

Let me have a go at getting a copy and if I fail miserably I'll get back to you (if that's ok?)

Selby