Author Topic: Looking for Thomas Casey, Castlecuffe  (Read 4571 times)

Offline caseyhagan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for Thomas Casey, Castlecuffe
« on: Sunday 06 June 10 16:03 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know anything of the Caseys in Castlecuffe, Kilmanman during the 1840's - 50's?
My g-grandfather was Peter J. Casey, who came to the U.S. from Ireland in 1853.  My father said the "family had a mill that went under with the Great Famine", but no info as to which county.  "The Millers and Mills of Ireland 1700 - 1900" lists a Thomas Casey as having a corn mill in Castlecuffe from around 1821 - 43,  and Griffiths shows him leasing it from Rev. John Baldwin abt. 1851.  I'm trying to determine if this could be my ancestor.

Peter Casey went on to name his first son Thomas J., who continued the Peter - Thomas pattern for several more generations.  Also, in Griffiths there's a Peter Casey who also leased property from Rev. Baldwin in Castlecuffe.  Could be Thomas's father or brother?

I'd love to pursue this, but not sure how to continue from this point.  Thanks for any information.
Casey, Murphy, Dunn, Ryan, Cooney, Carroll, Morgan, McCarron

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Thomas Casey, Castlecuffe
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 June 10 19:24 BST (UK) »
There are Case of Castlecuffe in the 1901 census
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie

Offline caseyhagan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Thomas Casey, Castlecuffe
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 June 10 01:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Seanmac. 
I found a family in that census headed by a Peter Casey, age 53, and one of his sons was Thomas, age 14. 
It's possible that Peter's father was the Thomas listed as running a mill prior  to the famine, and this family coincidently has the same naming pattern as my Caseys.  If so, this probably isn't my family, but it looked promising.
I have some other possibles in County Westmeath and County Limerick, so I'll keep on hunting.
Casey, Murphy, Dunn, Ryan, Cooney, Carroll, Morgan, McCarron